joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

moving2.jpg
<br />It had to be done :D <br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol I knew there was some extra drag there somewhere... <br /><br />Bet I own the only 225 verado with a tiller control. :D <br /><br />Hey your signature has the motor I want... you can sell me that 79 johnson 6 hp right? :D

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

lol, I wonder if they sell a tiller option. I bet someone would be stupid enough to want it.<br />Actually, the motor you want is my '76 9.8hp. I've used it on my friend's 5' plywood pickle fork hydro and it just flew. Not selling tho :p <br />I bet anything with a 90 degree gearcase would be an improvement though. :D I've felt your pain. My first outboard was a 1.5hp and my second was a 4hp weedless and I had a 12' tinny. They were actually similar speeds due to the angle of that weedless leg slowing down the 4hp. Then I got a 9.8hp and life was good. :D <br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Motor wouldnt start today... I need to do a tune up on it and repair the pull starter... it didnt help that the spring flew apart on about the 3rd pull... so I cut the rope and wound it around the top of the flywheel. :) So ended up paddling it today... not a good paddling boat at all.<br /><br />
paddling1.jpg

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

love the boat!<br /><br />your power problem can be cured with a inboard with a vee drive. you could even put a door in the doghouse for the dog. a lawnchair or two on top would be comfortable as well. the only drawbacks would be fuel prices and tippiness.<br /><br />enjoy the boat , it looks like a riot :cool: :cool: :cool:

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

LOL I bet you wish you hadn't cut your canoe in half now...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not a bit... I only wish I had a bigger motor :D I'm probably going to build wifey a yak somewhat like Captian Periwinkle's so she can row with the dog... this was the first time this dog has been near a body of water bigger than a dog dish.... it was freakin hilarious... she went running down and went to run out on the water thinking she could stand on it... turns out when ya run onto the water, you sink. :D :D :D anyway she got accustomed to it quick and she likes the boats too.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Wimperdink,<br /><br />You have a lovely (and apparently very patient and understanding) wife. You be a lucky man!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol yes she is lovely and very patient and understanding... and she's got the checkbook so we meet in the middle a lot... unfortunately when I make her mad it costs. :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Dink and his boat.... His wife and dog rowin behind um....I can see it now...lol<br /><br />Hows the motor search comming?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well ok I guess.... not in a real big hurry... hoping prices will come down after the first big snow up north... need to get the one I have running :( busted the recoil spring today and cut the rope so I could wrap it around the flywheel... never got it started today. I'm heading out of town bright and early in the a.m. Got about an 18 hour drive ahead of me so I might be semi absent for the next couple of days... I'll still keep up with reading but posts might be kept short and sweet as i'll have the cruise set at 80 :D

cpj

Ensign

Just what do you do for a living, may I ask?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

and were is the room tonight??????<br /><br />Work... been thinking about havin to get back to that...lol Always gets in the way

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol read my profile there Captian Periwinkle Princess<br />I am an automotive electronics installer primarily for fleet services.<br /><br />Dave: Room tonight is at home.... tomorrow night is in Boston, Saturday home, Monday Pittsburgh, Wednesday Syracuse, Then I get to rest for a few days again :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

that would be too hard on the little ones..... and I hear the wife gripe already about how "little" I do... I keep tellin her it's only little in her eyes, cause it's not what she wants... Give and take give and take. <br /><br />Oh well....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since this is all still in the to build a boat topic I might as well list my next project. A canoe for the other half, her indoors, pants, wife, and the checkbook holder. <br />I decided simple is better and want to make this as simple as possible as it will have to look a lil more professional than my last project because I know... if it looks sloppy it'll sit in the yard and never get used... if it looks good.. it'll be lake time for everyone. :D So without further adieu here it is... <br />
whiteone300.jpg
<br /><br /> Canoe Plans Free and Detailed<br /><br />This one is soo simple it should be able to be put together in just a few days... Bad part is... i'll be pretty busy this month so I wont have but a few days at a time to work on it... I hate unfinished work. :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Had a friend build one of those.... his of corse was'nt perdy... smuckered up the resin by adding to much hardner in 100 degree weather...hmmmmm... oh nevermind dink<br /><br />That is a real easy plan... came with seat plans as well didn't it?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The butt plate for the bottom center is the seat :D ... I of course will put a folding boat seat in it cause I'm a creature comfort creature. :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

yep thats right... the sides are only like 14" tall... maybe I should read the plans but might confuse my own...lol uses 2 sheets of ply... even comes with the paddle pattern???? <br /><br />I looked at it once a year or so back... never got on it's way. Just didn't like the idea of rowin.... I guess I could cut it in half and put a small outboard on it :D <br /><br />I did get the truck fixed... starter and tore the steering column ignition apart... it was a tooth or two off. oh well..

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's the one I built!<br /><br />There is another piece that you put over the top of the center butt strap, to make the seat out of. I didn't.... I put a plywood bucket seat into it, Like the plastic chairs at school, but made of ply. Nice and comfy. The sides are high enough, But the whole thing is a bit heavy.<br /><br />I would use 4mm for the sides if I built another.