To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I'm lost... which hydro are ya talkin about now? I'm looking at one that is still at 250. I'll get pics tonight... I considered doing a float test today but I'm just gonna do the final sand and paint first... Still havent installed the motor board :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Stop puttin it off... it'll have to be soon....<br /><br />Oh Yeah... asked that guy with the motor when it needed to be picked up.. said he was in no hurry and I can just pay him the money when I get it...lol offered the listing fee's so it brought the total up to $2.50... so He's seriuos...Just wants it outta there...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol sounds like a good deal to me... <br />I'll take pictures tonight but I'm sooooo sick of sanding... got the thing smoothed out but there's still an orange peel effect... and I gave up on the seams around the edgest making them perfect looking... So I'm going to just fill a couple of screw head holes on the bottom... flip it back over, One more coat of resin on the top... sand to the same orange peel look thats on the bottom, Install the motor board, **** can paint it and call it done.... If it works great, I'll probably take it to someone who does autobody work out of their garage and see what they would charge me for a professional looking finish with auto paint :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Don't bother getting the paint perfect. If it floats and goes it's good enough right? If you really like the boat design how much would it cost you to set your practice prototype aside and build another now that you've learned from your mistakes? You wanted a few for the kids to play with didn't you? Besides orange peel is faster and your vacation must be about over :D <br /><br />So yellow huh?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if thats cause you rolled it??? I'll have to find a way I can spray. There would be too much boat for me to put on by hand...and then the sandin...yeesh

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the sanding is not hard... its just hard when you get about 30 seconds of sanding and 5 minutes to wait for the compressor to catch up and another 30 seconds of sanding<br /><br />I cant imagine trying to clean out the spray gun after... <br /><br />Yes its because I rolled it on... its hard to get on even and It would more than likely been a lot nicer if I wasnt in such a hurry and use so much hardner woulda had more of a chance for self leveling... but that and the fuzzies from the roller didnt give it a chance.<br /><br />I will say though the roller made it a lot more even than the brush method.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all, <br /><br />Sorry, no pics yet, (where the heck did all my time go????????)<br /><br />I picked up one piece of ply this morning on my way to work (where I am now) and I hope to get it marked, cut and start assembling the frame onto it thisevening. I will take photo's! I promise........<br /><br />Hey Dink, no matter which way you apply the resin, there is always lots of sanding to get a fair surface. It's really important to get the bottom as smooth as possible. Any excess drag there will kill the performance.<br /><br />I read somewhere one that building a boat is 10%drinking and thinking, 15% building and 200% sanding. :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm going to have to invest in a bigger air compressor before my next project :D I bought some heavy primer and layed it on thick... i'll sand it down and get most of it out before I paint. I still havent put on the motorboard :D also forgot to put on the keelson too but i'm going to try it without and see how bad I slide in the turns before I mess with it. :D I know I know its gonna be horrible but what the heck.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I'll sum dinks minimax in one little story... :D <br /><br />A week ago A.D.D. Dink decided to build a sporty lookin minimax :cool: , cut his boards, got out the resin, but there was a roblem :confused: ... Dink couldn't get focused .. AS hard as he tried he just couldn't follow the plans... made a change here and a change there ... forget this part who needs the motor mount anyways. For a whole week Dink worked on his pride and joy but something was wrong :mad: .. something didn't look right, but he took it out on the lake anyways.. just to see if it floated... Luckily there was a camera, and it was all caught... :D Now remember this is what Dink was buildin...<br />
minimaxpic.jpg
<br /> <br />But somethings not right and this is what he got...hmmmm....<br /><br />
Dinkandsail.JPG
<br />Well he was still happy with his results :D

cpj

Ensign

Thats a troll if I ever saw one.Ill bite, just give me time. ;)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol you guys are rough... I have a project page full of pictures... and you guys have... well.... a dream I guess.... The top is yellow as of tonight...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey can I see yalls progress now? :D :D :D <br />
yellow.jpg

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Actually I was thinking more like this CPJ<br />
sinkin.JPG

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave your pics arent showing up... <br /><br />Edit = there they are

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh dear......<br /><br />Our ply isn't cut in feet and inch's<br /><br />I't metric, just a touch smaller.<br /><br />Time to alter some measurements. It's now 1200mm wide....or 47 & 1/4"

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Lark.. your soundin like Dink and the 1x8<br /><br />Did ya get them cut out yet?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol I know the feeling lark... we want pictures we want pictures... <br /><br />Dont let dave and cpj give you a hard time... your already well ahead of them in your project.