Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Nice matching color for the top and a very good idea not using screws to fasten anything unless it's into some nice solid wood.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Nice matching color for the top and a very good idea not using screws to fasten anything unless it's into some nice solid wood.

I agree Watermann, half of the crap I pulled off of the hull originally was just screwed into place including the bow rails and windshields, I could have easily grabbed real hard and just ripped them off of the boat.

The cost of Stainless steel nuts and bolts is really starting to add up, however I only want to do this job to this boat one time and know I won't have to worry again if something needs to be removed. I am pleased with the top, neither my wife nor myself are the most coordinated people in the world so I think for the sake of not hitting my head all the time the top is going to be nice.

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's not a bimini, that's an airfoil.............. Are you related to Andre the GIANT? That thing is up there.....

Looks like you're getting the misfit size addressed though, and it seems to fit pretty good now ^^^^ nice work!

SigSaurP229

Commander

no but the plan is to fab up some side curtains to make it an enclosure as well we like to camp on the boat every now and then too

dozerII

Admiral

Sig, you probably already know this but if you mount the top so the leading edge is slightly lower (2-3") than the trailing edge while at speed on the lake, the top will have an airfoil effect causing a little lift which will stop it from flapping around trying to tear itself apart. My 18SS I could run with the top up at WOT and 37mph with no problem

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

actually glenn i didnt know that. The only boat ive ever had with a top was the toon , and it dorsnt go fast enough to matter

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't go too far with the down angle Sig. I was undecided with mine, so I made it parallel with the gunnels for appearance sake. What I've found is that the wind rising off the windshield combined with bowrise has enough pressure to inflate the top, but only slightly. Kind of the opposite effect of what Glen is suggesting. It's a balancing act. I particularly dislike the appearance of a top pressed down tightly trying to wrap itself around the support bows, so I'm pleased with my results. - Grandad

SigSaurP229

Commander

A little help all.

My model number is J115TXCIM.

I ordered two brand new power packs, and a timer base on ebay. The timer base is the right base for my motor, and the power packs are the right packs for my motor as well.

Timer base number 0583376
Power Pack number 0582125

Here is the dilema,

The timer base has the same shape plug as the power packs, however it is missing the black and yellow wire pin (the kill wire). According to my service manual the kill wire doesn't actually run through the timer base it runs from the ignition switch through the wiring harness into the power pack plug. (which makes perfect sense).

I really don't want to cut and splice wires, is there anyway to add a pin into the timer base plug so that everything is basically factory assembled, as I don't want to splice my power pack wires?

If so what part number/tool do I need?

Would I be able to do it with part number 0581656?

Any tricks for removing the flywheel nut since I don't have the specific OMC flywheel holding tool. I have an impact but I am afraid its going to be underpowered for the job.

I started soaking the flywheel nut three days ago with liquid wrench.

SigSaurP229

Commander

updates first stern piece is cut and sparred ready to be mounted.

Have received,

New Glove Box, new matching locks for the front and rear glove box.

New Timer Base

Bimini is fully mounted.

New windshield mounts,

New filler hose is here.

We are ready to work, except it is so freaking cold.

I made a list of everything left to do, I thought I was 70% of the way done, not even close more like 50% of the way done. I know I need to pull the motor again I have to do it but I really don't want to.

Its all a bunch of detail work now, and I hate detail work. It will get there hopefully by spring bass season.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Sorry I can't help you with the wiring, but I sure hear you on the cold. It's funny how when you think your down to the short list till you make one.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah - Punch lists end up looking like you're starting all over again. :eek::D

SigSaurP229

Commander

Merry Christmas eve guys, Yeah kind of scared but I hope to get a bunch of it knocked out while I am off for the next two days, I mean the night of christmas is for spending with family, well the boat is part of the family now, do you all think the admiral will buy it?

GA_Boater

This is the time to treat the boat like a mistress. At least until the family time is over. :D

Merry Christmas, Sig.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Merry Christmas eve guys, Yeah kind of scared but I hope to get a bunch of it knocked out while I am off for the next two days, I mean the night of christmas is for spending with family, well the boat is part of the family now, do you all think the admiral will buy it?

maybe if you're wrapping presents in it :lol:

Merry Christmas Sig!!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Well ladies and gentleman Santa was good.

We went from here,

To here.

As far as progress goes on the boat, its not really progressing much at all. I had to plumb the shop for the new compressor.

Today I cleaned the shop again, its amazing how stuff can really get scattered around when you don't stop while you are working.

I did manage to pull the flywheel (that was more try the new compressor) My impact gun was touching the flywheel nut while using the the smaller compressor, (4.7scfm @90 psi) the big compressor yanked it right off (11.4 scfm @90 psi) makes a huge difference.

Hopefully ready to work again.

GA_Boater

Now you're truly full of hot air. :lol: The tank anyway. That should run all your air tools. At the same time. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking compressor, congrats!

Watermann

Good choice on the compressor, now you'll never want for bigger and better.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ok everyone help me troubleshoot. I have been working on the engine. I have now replaced both power packs, and the timer base. I am still getting now spark on the port side two cylinders. I have disconnected the black and yellow kill wire. Fully charged battery. Engine is rotating at normal starting speed where should I look next.

Watermann

Head over to the motor forums and give them a shot at trouble shooting the ignition problem. Power pack, coils, wires, plugs are about the only things that are there. Have you tested to see if you have power to the port pack? Also just to be sure did you mean NO spark on port side or LOW spark?