Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Is the new 1 a normally priced, in stock trigger? If so, I'd risk $40 to save $200.....

If its usually more, and your patience for fixing a motor is running thin, buy the NEW 1.....

Any motor other then new & under warranty will run the risk of needing some parts & pieces too....

SigSaurP229

Commander

Trigger is a normally stocked item at multiple places running between $229+shipping to $256+shipping.

I am not neccessarily sure that the trigger is bad on mine BUT all of the wires coming out of it were victims of mice and such chewing them.

nm I bought it.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Like I said, I'd risk the $40 to save the $200+/- & grab the used 1. IT WONT always be available, and sounds like the new 1 will be & at about the same price as now........

Of course, you could always gamble & put in a request w/ Santa*. Won't be using the boat before the big day anyway......

*Please choose 1 of the following & apply as necessary:
Wife
Admiral
Warden
Fun Governor
Empress of the Seven Known Universes.......

SigSaurP229

Commander

Today's update.

WARNING THE PICTURES BELOW ARE GRAPHIC and may cause nauseating side affects from the wanton desire to strangle a previously neglectful owner. The mere sight of the decay in the pictures below may very well cause a nauseated stomach.

Today I decided enough surfing on the web just shopping for parts time to actually get back out there and do something.

So one of the things that bugged me is the bow rails when I took them off they were held in place with self tapping screws I moved them slightly and remounted them with self tapping screws, BUT they weren't holding worth a crap. So I changed them to Stainless Steel bolts with nylon lock nuts and washer. It may not sound like much but it was a detail that was driving me crazy.

So now onwards after I completed that small task I decided the best way to approach finishing her up is just to work from bow to stern completing that small task I decided to move forward and replace the last of the remaining rot on the boat.

I started by drilling these rivets on both sides.

And then these rivets all the way around.

I loosened the rubrail, then removed the screws holding the trim in place, and then drilled the four blind rivets like what can be seen in the bow rail pic and VOILA,

A lobotomy on my boat.

You can see in this pic that the front board is basically mulch.

Unlike others my front boards aren't mahogany or anything else, they are just standard 3/4" untreated ply.

Unsurprisingly the boards underneath the aluminum cap are fairly intact, it is just the front board that had fully rotted away. They are all being changed though.

I haven't lost the touch I kind of figured getting that front piece off was going to be a two day job, it was off in three hours.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I haven't lost the touch I kind of figured getting that front piece off was going to be a two day job, it was off in three hours.

Isn't it nice when you overestimate like that. :D

With SC's use of sheet metal screws lead to Po's over tightening and stripping them out of the AL. Your through bolts are a permanent fix

SigSaurP229

Commander

Pretty much everything that has come off including the windshield was screwed on with self tapping screws. They are all being replaced by through bolts and nylon lock nuts.

I painted the consoles, but I the more I think about it I am going to pull them and wrap them in grey marine vinyl what do you think? It will eliminate the holes and I think it will give it less of a utility boat and more of a sofa boat look.

GA_Boater

Vinyl with foam underneath will soften the look of the consoles. Should look good. Have you thought of a couple of Barcaloungers for seats - Sure will complete the "sofa boat" look. But maybe you don't want to go that far? :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I like the vinyl idea, it would look great I think. I was thinking of doing vinyl on my Chief but I don't really know how to go about properly securing the vinyl to the aluminum, especially if using the foam.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I like the vinyl idea, it would look great I think. I was thinking of doing vinyl on my Chief but I don't really know how to go about properly securing the vinyl to the aluminum, especially if using the foam.

the original vinyl on mine was held on with an adhesive im thinking there is a 3m spray adhesive

i may shoot a pm to budski he vinyled his consoles

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

3M Spray 90 is the glue of choice for me when gluing upholstery vinyl on aluminum. Coat both sides well then use a formica roller to complete the adhesion and work out any bubbles.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Hello everyone,

Well I am now another $350.00 poorer, let's see.

I bought enough Ply to I believe finish everything. I bought a new Bimini top, brand new fuel pump for the motor, a new glove box, new fuel hoses (that freaking filler hose is EXPENSIVE). More spar varnish ohh and the Factory Service manual for my motor.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Sorry Double Tap

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Sounds to me like money well spent!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Allright everyone so, if you all are interested I decided to break out the notepad, and see where the budget stands as we are pretty much done buying all of the major stuff.

Here is the breakdown.

$900 Boat motor and trailer

$235 in parts for the motor, (Trigger, two power packs, water pump, carb rebuild kit, fuel pump and spark plugs)

$175 in the trailer not including paint (tires, bearings, and lights).

The Hull

$200 in plywood
$142 in epoxy
$54 noodles
$250 in paint and prep
$150 in fasteners
$140 in rubrail
$75 in fuel hose
$15 in 5200 (so far)
$150 (yes I bought a bimini top for it)
$150 in carpet and glue.
$75 in vinyl and upholstery (including the next batch for the consoles)
$85 in gauges and wiring harness

$1400 in hull work

So

$900+$1400+$235+$175

$2,710 in restoration work thus far. If I want new seats then I am at another $600

$3310 in restoration probably more.

So for anyone who is thinking that they may buy a boat and restore it and come out cheap, I would certainly think twice.

If I had to even remotely guess my hours I would imagine I have close to 600 hours in the restoration.

Even if I only paid myself $10.00 an hour I would be at $6000.00 in labor.

I love the boat but it certainly is not worth $9310.00

It is just an interesting perspective to look at.

I am not even close to done.

My advice to everyone though don't even consider doing a restoration of this caliber unless you know that it will be your forever boat.

GA_Boater

You shouldn't keep track of costs, Sig. Makes you feel real bad. :cold: But on the plus side you know what you have when she's done. :)

SigSaurP229

Commander

You shouldn't keep track of costs, Sig. Makes you feel real bad. :cold: But on the plus side you know what you have when she's done. :)

I look at it this way Ga, I have a brand new boat for the low low price of $3300 and mine is probably better built than what comes out of the factories now.

I have a boat that will last for decades and I think she is good looking I have to say that my influence was looking at all of the restorations on this site and being jealous, and we had outgrown our old trihull. Hopefully by Thursday we will see some serious work going on in this thread and I am off 12/25-12/29 so a good possibility I can get some work done there as well.

I had kind of considered just letting the thread die, but I decided that maybe I can help someone considering doing this in the future as well, and cost is a big big factor in that decision. I can't even imagine doing a glasser.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Hey - I have about 2 grand in my 250 buck tinny. Other than a new axle, tire to tire, lights. jack, nothing in the trailer. New flooring, seats, a windshield, two bilge pumps plus misc. stuff. Not a drop of paint on the outside of the hull and the trailer needs paint bad. How much to - I have no idea because I don't think it will ever be done. The lake keeps calling when the weather is decent and I don't really want to work on it during the winter. I've been calling it a rolling resto. :joyous:

Glasser - we may be nuts, but not that crazy. :D

SigSaurP229

Commander

Hey - I have about 2 grand in my 250 buck tinny. Other than a new axle, tire to tire, lights. jack, nothing in the trailer. New flooring, seats, a windshield, two bilge pumps plus misc. stuff. Not a drop of paint on the outside of the hull and the trailer needs paint bad. How much to - I have no idea because I don't think it will ever be done. The lake keeps calling when the weather is decent and I don't really want to work on it during the winter. I've been calling it a rolling resto. :joyous:

Glasser - we may be nuts, but not that crazy. :D

I hear ya Ga

The really Scary thing is the admiral has decided that she REALLY likes the Chieftrains

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Sig, glad you decided against abandoning the thread. I think that the majority of people, me included, have way more in our restos than we ever planned or thought. That is not good or bad, it just is. I don't know if this is my ''forever'' boat, and I'm ok with that too. Like you said when done, they will be the way we wanted them and prolly last a whole lot longer than anything off of the showroom floor. Glad you are back at it!

Last edited: