Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

I hear ya Ga

The really Scary thing is the admiral has decided that she REALLY likes the Chieftrains

Score!

Yeah I don't keep track of the money I've invested in my favorite hobby and year round pastime. Don't really see my boats as being something I attach a monetary value to, they just bring me happiness and pride. Just like the guys who restore old cars and airplanes. For me I don't think there are too many things in this world that can bring that except an old tin boat fully restored.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'll keep my eye open for a Chieftain for ya, Sig. A happy Admiral is, well you know, a Happy Admiral. :love:

SigSaurP229

Commander

I'll keep my eye open for a Chieftain for ya, Sig. A happy Admiral is, well you know, a Happy Admiral. :love:

True there but I want a 16' SS to make a fishing machine.

The MBS is strong in this thread.

GA_Boater

MBS runs rampant through most of the Starmada threads. :rolleyes::D

SigSaurP229

Commander

Inched two steps forward and one step back today.

Cut and spar varnished the support plywood for under the bow.

Cut and spar varnished the storage box for the splashwell.

I got the timer base I ordered on fleabay, it was the wrong one, luckily the goof wasn't on me it was on the seller as he advertised the product incorrectly. Again luckily the seller happened to be a reputable seller, and owner of a repair shop so had another on had that he shipped, and sent me a return postage pick up label.

jbcurt00

Staff member

All sounds good, 2 steps & a side step maybe, always nice to find people who stand behind their sales, ESP on evil-bay....

You shouldn't have much problem knocking some boat work out w/ some days off coming. That sounds even better.

SigSaurP229

Commander

All sounds good, 2 steps & a side step maybe, always nice to find people who stand behind their sales, ESP on evil-bay....

You shouldn't have much problem knocking some boat work out w/ some days off coming. That sounds even better.

Welcome back JB

I can hopefully knock out a bunch of work with all the deliveries that I should be getting very shortly.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

It's awesome that the seller owned-up to the error! I've been very fortunate in my 12+ years of fleabaying-it...that little rating system has sellers by the chestnuts! :lol:

GA_Boater

Sounds like the Brown Truck will be making frequents stops ay the SigHouse. :joyous:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Sounds like the Brown Truck will be making frequents stops ay the SigHouse. :joyous:

Yeah the UPS guy pretty much knows me by name now.

The hard part is working in the stern and around the splashwell as it was all rotten and gone when I brought the boat home so it is all my best guess, and I am basically making it up as I go along.

I am seriously considering painting my motor and getting these decals for it

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/bod/4226654592.html

what do you all think

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I hate Fed Ex, they always deliver my boat goodies to a neighbors house on the street over with the same house number.

Looking at your front deck cover supports, maybe it's the angle of the pic but seems to me it's not a standard SC type support layout.

Hey yeah I'm all for painting the motor, I used rutso automotive enamel to paint my SN's Johnny and got some re-pop exact replica decals. Was worth it to make the motor look brand new.

GA_Boater

Fresh motor paint and new decals are icing on the cake. With the time you've put in the boat, makes sense to finish the package.

Looks like you're doing great with the splashwell wood, Sig. Might not be exactly the way the factory did it (I have no idea), but who is ever going to know?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I am seriously considering painting my motor and getting these decals for it

REDUCED 1996 Johnson 115 Fast Strike

what do you all think

If you like them, do it.

I do prefer the look of white on Johnson OB's. I am however a fan of making the decal's fit w/ the boat & how it's redone. Like Jas' use of whatever year/model Evinrude decals on his SeaNymph. Those fit the look perfect, and he used accurate 90hp decals, just not the 'correct' for his year/model.

Of course, if the budget allows, that Fast Strike 115 would look GOOD on the back of your SS... It is the Christmas season you know.

Ya just gotta ask yourself: Have ya been good this year?

Quick follow up, be sure to also ask yourself: Will the Admiral keel haul me for buying MYSELF a $3K motor BEFORE Christmas?

SigSaurP229

Commander

If you like them, do it.

I do prefer the look of white on Johnson OB's. I am however a fan of making the decal's fit w/ the boat & how it's redone. Like Jas' use of whatever year/model Evinrude decals on his SeaNymph. Those fit the look perfect, and he used accurate 90hp decals, just not the 'correct' for his year/model.

Of course, if the budget allows, that Fast Strike 115 would look GOOD on the back of your SS... It is the Christmas season you know.

Ya just gotta ask yourself: Have ya been good this year?

Quick follow up, be sure to also ask yourself: Will the Admiral keel haul me for buying MYSELF a $3K motor BEFORE Christmas?

That motor has been on C/l for a little while, and I have seriously considered it, but I can't do it, it isn't even remotely close to in the budget so I am going to be working with the Johnson that I have. Thats why I was kind of considering painting and decaling my motor to look exactly like that one. It will look kind of factory from OMC that way but at the same time come closer to matching the boat.

Watermann yeah because all of our mailboxes are on one side of the road fedex always delivers my stuff to the other side of the road.

It is a fairly standard bow support, the difference being I don't have the back board yet, and you can't see the aluminum front piece underneath.

The bimini top from fleabay got here today. It sucks a big one because according to the seller's measurements its 75 inches wide. Which is partially correct, the seller neglected to mention it flairs out at the bottom to 84 inches, it is 9 inches to wide to mount to the boat. So I am redneck engineering it. I have cut the poles used the grinder to shorten each one by 5 inches and am going to repair and remount the it will stretch the canvas a little but I think it will work out ok.

The seller told me to basically pound sand wasn't his problem so I sent negative feedback and went on my way.

SigSaurP229

Commander

As far as the stern goes GA the rear seats are as the factory made them but if you look close at the splashwell, there is supposed to be something screwed to each side, however I don't want to do that because I want to have access to my battery and fuel tanks.

I am sure it wasn't hinged from the factory (this was my idea) so that if I needed access to the bilge then I could fold the jumpseat forward (they were hinged from the factory) then fold that top piece up and have access to the bilge area.

I could cut half sheets on the plywood that don't go all the way to the floor however I am afraid that won't provide enough support for the jump seats.

I think the plan is this.

I am going to cut two half sheets of plywood to come halfway down the splashwell and and behind the jump seats. I am going to angle it along the splashwell, and hinge it to flip up.

Then I think I am going to hinge the jump seats to fold forward like the factory.

As far as the aluminum trim piece for under the splashwell. I think I am going to vinyl it then I where the two flat spots are I am going to install a cup holder on each side.

GA_Boater

Have you looked through some of the other projects? One that comes to mind with a stern set up similar to yours is rrumba's Holiday.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yeah Ga I have been through pretty much all of them, most of them are set for I/O's though and they are a little different than mine. Budski's was different as were a few others that I book marked. I don't think its going to be 100% factory when I am done but I think it will look good just a whole lot of angles to measure and cut, and its going to be time consuming.

I saw the 16ss you tempted me with in the other thread. Shame shame. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

There is only one cure for MBS. Feed it. :D Well not a cure, just relieves the symptoms for a little while.:joyous:

dozerII

Admiral

Great progress Sig, I think painting and adding the decals to the motor is a great custom idea. MBS is going to strike again, I saw it in my tea leaves. :laugh:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Glenn you are cracking me up man, The admiral has made it ABUNDANTLY clear no more boats until the Silver Lining is splashed.

Today's update.

Yes I know it is really tall but I wanted to be able to walk under it without smacking myself in the head.

I had to do a bunch of trimming on the poles to make it fit I still have some final fitting work to make it work.

The installation kit came with all stainless steel screws. I ditched them in favor of going with Stainless steel bolts and stainless nylon lock nuts.

Last edited: