Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
AHHHHHH ZOMBIE THREAD.

OK Everyone it has been an incredibly long 3 years, life is not the same. The shop is gone. The house is different. The little hands that are helping, are different the kids have all grown a bit.

My toddler from fishing for babies at the beginning of this thread just finished kindergarten and the twins are walking and talking.

The family is different, lost and uncle and a dad. Most of the material possessions are gone. My job has changed 3 times since I last posted.

The only two things that have remained consistent material wise, are my truck, and my desire to finish this boat.

Unfortunately as rough as the last 3 years have been on my family, the have not been kind to "The Silver Lining" Either. She ended up stored about an hour from home and while I had her covered and bedded properly so I thought, an animal tore my cover to shreds, and tore my carpet to pieces. Water got in my boat, luckily when I built her I took no shortcuts, and thus my decking transom, and plywood is all intact, and in the same condition I put her down in.

That is the end of the bad news.

The good news is as follows:

Things have stabilized a TON finally we are back in a newly purchased home. My working conditions are more limited, and while not enclosed she will be fully under a roof at all times now.

I finally have a budget to finish her off. It is much more limited, but she really doesn't need much to finish. $500 is the max set budget.

I finally have a plan for that goofy splash well arrangement that I have.

I have a plan to to make the bow way way more functional. I have a plan to make the Gunnels way more functional as well. I would not have gone with my original seating arrangement had I thought this far ahead, but we are working with what we have.

I thank everyone from the Starmada for everything over the years. I owe many of you more than I can express. Others I owe more too as well, and I am still looking for ways to make everything right.

With no further delay, I began pulling and removing carpet today.

And for everyone doing new builds I can PROMISE Epoxy is MUCH superior to Spar Varnish.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Great to see back you on the Silver Lining, even with bad and good news. Sorry for those you lost and all the rest.

Glad things have settled down and you can fix 'er up. :thumb: Welcome back, Sig.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Its life GaBoater, I am happy to be back sort of, though it still doesn't appear as if Iboats works very well on android devices...

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
It’s great to see you back in the saddle Sig!!
:llama:

^^^ the llama probably looks like a horse on your Android :lol:

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is good to see that things are brighter.

Good luck with finishing the boat. I wish you the best.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Lol always w the pics they are coming, but i have already started with the tear down. Basically stripping to get to the carpet. I have already sanded out and restained and varnished my consoles. Basically strip to bare floor, recarpet, and the build starts from there. Hang on for the ride she is going to be a slow one but she will get finished. 3 year old twins a demanding admiral and work dont make a conducive environment for boat building.

ohhh and lets be clear I do NOT have the admiral's support on this.

The family still has the pontoon boat and she wants to be out on the lake not spinning a wrench. This one is all on me.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Welcome back! Sorry that you had some troubles but glad to hear things are turning around.

I can totally relate to a lack of support on the home front. :rolleyes:

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just be careful. Don't let a boat sink your marriage (see what I did there?). Wife first, kids second, and boat last.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Great to hear you're doing better, condolences for your familys loss

Good luck w Silvers redo

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
ohhh and lets be clear I do NOT have the admiral's support on this.

The family still has the pontoon boat and she wants to be out on the lake not spinning a wrench. This one is all on me.

Sell the pontoon. Problem solved. :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander
You all are going to crucify me for this decision. I am moving the consoles a full 8 inches forward. The decision being my boat rides like crap without weight in the front. She is EXTREMELY stern heavy, add 200 lbs to the bow, and she rides like an absolute dream. My 14 year old son is getting older and is expressing an interest in going fishing with me now. My thought is if I shift driver and passenger weight forward she is going to ride smoother and give a better draft. Additionally there is no additional cost for me to do it with what I had planned anyways. When I bought the no feedback system it was a foot to long, and my throttle and shifter cables already have wide loops in them anyways. also I am building a removable casting deck by pushing the consoles forward I can do it with one solid piece of ply rather than trying to piece something together.

Cons:

More work
More time
not a factory set up like I was initially shooting for.
less bow space.

Pros
Less Cost
More solid
Better draft
more suited to my family's needs.
Opens up more stern room.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It'll be more like the console placement of my V5 model, skinny up front but more room aft. One other issue you may find is windshield alignment.

y4mBNpCv49HAihhqsmdPSwirJ8JZcJ4WZxcOOQoYl1r04ixvPALFOSfJ-pgMd2vt3KzYDhSM1wNQ_slSD64JmLp8j533Zz-u3nbTMgznN1kj0sjmxRxGvpiAES3760Lo5MKSgeEfBMX9Arrb03Rjq8Fcq6Q1vIom8kabn0KKP8ei-Q7MafoYHtzP7RDMrivKi90BMLzpHVgC3iT71Rupp7XSQ

SigSaurP229

Commander
Carpet up and gone have some smoothing of the deck to do. Old carpet glue scraping sucks. Bow reconstruction underway. Apparently my pic size exceeds the limit.

Decker83

Commander
I just use the square with the fish hook in it by the A to add my pics. It works good for me..