Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

Tnstratofam

Commander
The seller claims it had new floors last season. V6 mercruisers are not rare in 19 footers though. It looks pretty good, but like most 25 year old things looks can be deceiving. If it's been mechanically cared for as the seller states that's a big plus. If the floor was done correctly it could be a good price. If it was a deck over, meaning new wood slapped over a rotten deck and stringers, this good deal could end up being a pricey night mare.

Almost forgot :welcome:

Last edited:

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I'm not in the market just yet but I'm just trying to figure out what I can get in the under $4,000 category.

I'm halfway decent working with smaller engines. Have not messed with anything like a 4.3 V6, but it doesn't scare me. So far I've only worked on a 28hp outboard and numerous old snow blowers, mowers, and chainsaws. So the 25 year old engine and outdrive don't worry me, especially if they were maintained. Things like rot or damaged fiberglass do, because I have no desire to do that kind of work.

64osby

Admiral
Thanks. I'm not in the market just yet but I'm just trying to figure out what I can get in the under $4,000 category.
... So the 25 year old engine and outdrive don't worry me, especially if they were maintained. Things like rot or damaged fiberglass do, because I have no desire to do that kind of work.

You'll find most of the crew down here can deal with rot. It disappears quickly. It's the FG that we avoid. We like Tin boats.

The boat you posted is FG. That then begs the question - Did the seller do the floor properly or 2nd deck it, or put a new floor in but not deal with rot underneath.

I've owned a couple FG boats and a few more aluminum boats. I have no desire to itch so I buy Tin. They are also easier and less expensive to fix and renovate, IMO.

Welcome to the site.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Welcome! I've had both fiberglass and aluminum boats and would choose aluminum everyday. Wood in boats rots no matter what the hull material is, but it's readily replaced in aluminum boats but is a huge amount of work in a glass boat. For under $4000, at least in my area, most glass boats are in only ok shape st best. Of course there is the gem here and there but normally I would shy away from them. But I've seen many dozens of solid aluminum boats that with very little work will have brand new wood and would be ready for years more enjoyment. Good luck in your search no matter which way you go!!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the insight, Chieftain and 64osby. You've convinced me. I will keep my eye out for aluminum. I watched a youtube series by a guy who bought a beautiful fiberglass boat and soon learned that the floor and stringers were completely shot. Took him all winter of working every weekend and quite a few nights to fix. If you're having trouble sleeping, watch it. He's a fairly entertaining guy at least.

I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state, and venture to the Adirondacks often. Some of the Adirondack lakes are small and can have rocky shores and what not. Fiberglass does seem risky when you don't know exactly what's under you. I mean, I know you can't just run an aluminum boat up on sharp rocks at high speed and expect to stay floating, but they do seem to be more forgiving of small errors.

Right now we are using a 17' Smoker Craft aluminum fishing boat that my girlfriend's father gave her. I'm actually not sure of the year, but early 80's with original 28hp Johnson. The boat and motor are awesome- it sat in his barn for 10 or 15 years and we had it running within an hour of pulling it out this past fall. New tires on the trailer, fixed a faulty neutral start switch, new battery, and it started up. I'm actually going to take the carb off the motor this afternoon because it needs to be rebuilt.

64osby

Admiral
That link is to Friscoboater, he has a really nice thread going here for FG boats.

I would look to put a new impeller on you motor if you haven't already.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
PNW Islander 220V

00q0q_jCcFjHWnZTy_600x450.jpg

I always have to wonder why guys who want someone to cough up 1000's won't take the time to clean the leaves out and wash the boat. It would make it look like the boat is worth the money being asked and that you care for the craft.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
That 22 PNW one must have some significant damage at that price. PNW prices are high and that looks like a steal. With the damage it's probably priced high.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cool - ask him to keep the $3k downriggers and have two grand cash in hand. Been trying/planning to sell for awhile - the grass ain't that green in MN right now...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Maybe he's trying to beat the spring crowd who he thinks will be knocking down his door. Then he can price it higher only to sit on it all summer. Or he may have an Admiral who insists he get rid of some of his toys so he prices it extra high so it won't sell.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well he is certainly dreaming beause he will never get close to $1000 for the DigiTrolls as they are way outdated but he may see $3G for the boat throwing in the riggers at least in my neck of the woods.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Maybe he's trying to beat the spring crowd who he thinks will be knocking down his door. Then he can price it higher only to sit on it all summer. Or he may have an Admiral who insists he get rid of some of his toys so he prices it extra high so it won't sell.

Wish I had a number for the Admiral...could maybe get a helluva deal :rolleyes: I sent an inquiry on his asking price without the downriggers...haven't heard anything back. He'd need to drop the price by quite a bit before I risked the flying frying pans...

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
serious interested parties can PM me.

Here's one I have texted pic on. Headed to MO in April and that is home state have peeps there now that can be on site in less than 24 hours.

http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/4816310398.html

I'm new to this forum. Kind of thinking about getting an aluminum StarCraft. Have to admit that I have a couple of FG boats......1967 Mark Twain with a 1966 65HP Merc and a Glastron GT 160. So I am used to tearing into boats. I'm thinking about a Holiday or a Jupiter. I have a nice 1979 80HP Merc with TNT I can hang on something. I also have two late 80's Merc 115s in the shed. They are perfectly good motors that I got for almost nothing. They were on junker boats that I bought and then cut them up and took them to the dump. I can look at this cruiser for you if you want and send you pictures. We have a place at the lake located in Camdenton. Funny....I'm 58 and when I was 14 my mom's cousin had a StarCraft cruiser on the Mississippi in St. Louis. They would sit in the back and cocktail and I would take the boat up the Mississippi to Hannibal....through the locks and all. I wish I was ambitious enough to tackle renovating a cruiser. Two kids down the street from me when I was a kid took a 16' Super Sport with a 65HP Merc from St. Louis all the way to St. Paul, Minnesota. They were about 16. I still can't believe their parents let them do it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah different times; that would be a great run. My first 'adult' boat was a 66 Twain with an i/o

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I was looking around at some of the higher priced Starcrafts. IMO most of them look like the $3K and lower boats, they all need new interiors. Unless you get above $10K.

I did see these.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/4803713183.html

http://westky.craigslist.org/boa/4849533426.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/4802812663.html

I was looking around at some of the higher priced Starcrafts. IMO most of them look like the $3K and lower boats, they all need new interiors. Unless you get above $10K.

I did see these.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/4803713183.html

http://westky.craigslist.org/boa/4849533426.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/4802812663.html

the one for $6k you'd be paying for the motor, The one with the 90hp is not too bad not a lot of seating...