PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

Wow, vegas.
Talk about high to low.
You know that's not good on my old heart. :p;)
Sorry about the oil leak.
Keep us posted.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Thanks Bob!

yeah hopefully I wont have to rebuild the rams...uuhgg...well its just some o-rings right?

a hydraulic line replace wouldn't be too bad, they are 30 years old anyways hehehehhehehe :eek:

working on our other prject this week...THE DREADED NEWMAN! boat

fishrdan

Admiral

we go past a big cruiser....no biggie...we wave...and lo and behold ....FULL FRONTAL NUDITY! (2 dudes in trunks...and a nicely shaped woman waving and fully naked!:p)

I've had a few experiences like that...

First time was memorable :D Ahhhh the memories..........

Another time my buddies GF whips it off and jumps in the water, my GF is looking at me like,,, WT# are you looking at :D

Second time caused me to be permanently scarred for life, burned into my memory, something you can't un-see... They must have been a ripe ol' age of 60-70, buck @zz naked, 50-60' away as we slow trolled past a cove :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry to hear about the rock trim problems. That's what I hate about Mead and the extreme low lake level right now, lots of hidden obstacles,,, and if the water is murky...

Do you have a depth finder on the boat? With a huge rock and murky water I'm not sure a depth finder would do much good, 10' to 2' in a split second. I've done that several times at Willow Beach in my little boat, it just bounces off though. I'd hate to do that with my I/O.

redfury

Commander

It's possible the I/O trim went out due to the collision to save the lower unit from more damage than you received...probably blew a seal so the drive could kick up from the impact.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Paul, Sorry to hear about the Skeg collision , hopefully Red is on target and its just a seal

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Vegas sorry to hear about the rock! We have a lot of man made lakes around here that have areas with trees in them...they can be really hard on props! You would think they would rot after 40 or 50 years....nope they just get petrified! Good luck with the repairs, hopefully you will be back in the water soon!

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

Wow I really like the look of that boat, and the room is has in the cuddy! To me though, it looks like it is missing some windows in the front :D Almost like where the wood is should be glass (tinted black of course ;))

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow I really like the look of that boat, and the room is has in the cuddy! To me though, it looks like it is missing some windows in the front :D Almost like where the wood is should be glass (tinted black of course ;))

I agree Bashr...
..when we first got the boat we thought " wouldnt it be nice if there were somne windows where the front wood grain is? so the interior passengers could see fwd etc....
then again...it already too bright in there at 5am from sun sneaking in :D we slept out 4th of July weekend...it was comfy! we scored a freebie hatch on a boat we found in the desert when offroading one weekend....but Im not sure we want to hack a hole in the deck just yet....might ebay the hatch and make a few bucks

Hey Vegas sorry to hear about the rock! We have a lot of man made lakes around here that have areas with trees in them...they can be really hard on props! You would think they would rot after 40 or 50 years....nope they just get petrified! Good luck with the repairs, hopefully you will be back in the water soon!

Hi Arch
isnt it crazy how long wood can last under the right conditions? I was watching a show on the great lakes....these scientists were using some 14,000 year old tree stumps to figure out when the great lakes formed or something alonog those lines....they were right there on the bottom (stumps) carbon dated etc....crazy eh!

Bill and Redfury...Im pretty sure we blew a hydraulic line....Ill find out once I check it out soon eneough....working on the Newman boat this week so SLEEK is backburner for a few days :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Whoooops! wrong thread :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

havnt yet tinikered with the sleeks hydraulic issue...did see what looks like a blow out on the one hydraulic line for the i/o rams...hole in the one steel braid....hope thats the issue!
I wont worry about the paint scrape on the bottom of the skeg...Im repainting the drive in fall anyways...:D

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Ouch on the rock, I feel a little bit of your pain, found a rock bed with my uncle's 2002 sea ray and broke the skeg, ouch. skeggard to the rescue. hopefully the bilg oil isn't as big of an issue as thought. good luck. tink

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Tinkering
'yeah...no skeg breakage just some paint loss...no prop damage either thank goodness...

this one ought to interest Bill Hvac since we chatted on the phone about the issue--------->

yesterday I washed the sleek down....and was in the bilge cleaning it out with soap and water...found my strange popping engine problem I believe.. (we had a bit rougher idle than the 1rst couple trips out...and...when running about WOT....occasional pop pop pops....so I would back off the throttle....etc...then it went away...

well we were running on 7 cylinders!!!!! found the #8 spark plug wire was NOT on the spark plug...it was hanging there...probably sparking onto the block! FIRE HAZARD! man Im glad nothing bad happened....WHEW sigh of relief!

well I guess my habit of running the blower for a fe wminutes...then keeping it on at all times while running the engine....might have kept us from going to the hospital with burns...BOOM! lol

fishrdan

Admiral

well we were running on 7 cylinders!!!!!

See, that's why it's good to have a 4cyl engine.... You drop a cylinder and you know it immediately :D

Big ol' 8cyl Mopar just keeps plugging away...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Vegas,
As you stated, I'm glad you found the problem without the boom factor. That would not have been good. :eek:
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Wow that could have hurt :eek:

Glad to hear you found out by seeing the wire instead of........

nuke.jpg

I bet she runs a lot better now too!

Did you get the new line installed yesterday?

EDIT- Yes I stole your pic :D

redfury

Commander

Perhaps another prelaunch item on the checklist?

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

you guys are oh too funny....lol

Yes we got one custom made from the HOUSE OF HOSE....down the rd from my house....it was either spend $42 there for a custom stainless steel braided line....or pay the jackal owner dude over at Bob Marine supply $42 for a mercruiser part that may or may not work out well......so saved myself a drive...and got the custom made one..

IMG_9106.jpg

we installed it and bled out the lines...that was the only problem YEAH!

well there was another minor one....I had to re adjust the trim sender....easy peasy.....

heres the blowout on the line
IMG_9107.jpg

heres the House of Hose dudes handywork....nice job! only took em 3 or 4 minutes to fab this up
IMG_9109.jpg

oh and I cleaned the drive and gimbal area...all the carbon and yuck from the exhaust was clinging to that pretty white paint...scrubbed it up with soap and water....had soem serious stainage on the side bottom area of the drive from it being ran in a big bucket...so I wet seded that area with 600 wet / 1000 wet / then hit it with Meguirs swirl and scratch remover with a buffing wheel....hit it with wax...now shes shinier than ever! (IE: no more orangepeel on those areas) and you can see where some paint flaked off ...part of that is from the ROPE AROUND THE PROP trick we pulled 2 weeks back DOH!
IMG_9113.jpg

heres the swim deck ladder we manufactured out of the kids play swing part....the original ladder that was donated to us was stainless...but about 8 inches wider....so it wouldnt mount up....so we scammed the kids playswing monkey bar doohickey....hacked off the tips....found some caps at home depot.....drilled out the pipes for thr cross bolts, fabbed up some quality plywood and cleared it with spar urethan....drilled the swimmie platform and installed it....thats when I bent over and took a chunk off my bald head...I didnt have the caps on the freshly cut swim ladder and it was like a guillotine I installed the caps later after bleeding out....siliconed em too to make sure they dont fall off
IMG_9110.jpg

you can also see how the Poliglow DIDNT hold up worth a darn here on the back area...especially down in the wood grain area.....we will have to remove all the swim platform stuff, sand and polish the gel to make it nice...say NO to poliglow
IMG_9112.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work...there's some resourcefulness out in that desert:)

For your next project you can use the "rings" from the parted-out swing set to make "custom" water ski handles too;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

you should silicone your head.

fishrdan

Admiral

the jackal owner dude over at Bob Marine supply

F'n LMAO, I feel the same way about that place (guy). The last time I was in that place was THE LAST time I was in that place, it was 6-7 years ago.

If I'm in a pinch I go down to the place on Boulder HWY & 95, nice people down there, but that's few and far between since it's easier to just order online. $10 in gas and an hour drive isn't worth it for a $10 part.