Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: PROJECT ~ JEZABEL 23' Sleekcraft Executive ~ Turbo Restore ~ Tons of pics

I want one !!!

redfury

Commander

I want one !!!

I'd have to say, for a pleasure craft, it fulfills its name. If I had the tow vehicle and the body of water to use it on, I'd be very tempted to find one for myself.

LZepol53

Recruit

Vegas, great looking boat! I finished my 79 Executive end of last summer (Took Me a Year). I have a 350 Chevy/Volvo Penta with a 280 Volvo Penta Package....Trying to find a prop that works with this big girl, hence the original prop post.....Was there a mention of a Sleek Club in your thread?

Attachments

• SLEEK.jpg
    SLEEK.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SLEEK2.jpg
    SLEEK2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • SLEEK 3.jpg
    SLEEK 3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SLEEK 4.jpg
    SLEEK 4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey LZpol, super job on the re-do! wow you really took a worn out looking boat and made it a gem....amazing work!

What is your top speed and rpms? what prop do you have on there now?

I wish I could tell ya a 21 works great or a 17 etc...but since I have a rare outdrive, props are about impossible to find, so I have only one on the boat, and a backup prop (found a new one!) that I picked up on ebay for $40 BUT, its a LH prop! shizzle! well it works good enough for a backup prop, I can put it on and go in REVERSE, it will think its fwd right....so it will get us to the dock.

both are 19s....we're still dialing in our carb and such, but with a normal load of people we got 46mph on GPS 4400rpms thereabouts
I was hoping for 55! if I replaced the cam, intake, carb and some other mods I thinik we could pull off 52 or so....that'd be about it though.

oh and for those of you looking theres a Jet Drive version of our boat down in Laughlin NV Kingman AZ area, (along the colorado river AZ CA border south of vegas) they guy wants only $500!! with trailer, not sure if he has a title.....NO MOTOR though, he has a BB ford for $1000 extra, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/1817265989.html

=
=

Miranda

Cadet

LZepol53,
You did an awesome job on her, love the paint scheme. We have yet to put our windshield/screen on ours. Does it help any with the wind and spray?
Paul and I were thinking of starting a sleekcraft club. It's funny how many people we have met here in Vegas that have them. It would be cool to coordinate a sleek day and all meet up out at the Lake (lake Mead or havasu).
We've even had people from California(that own Sleeks) call us just to chat about them.
Anyways, great job on your boat, she's a beauty.

LZepol53

Recruit

Miranda,

Thanks for the thumbs up! The first time and only time I took her out after she was done last year there were people asking if I would sell her....They really are cool boats to see out there among all those boats without personalities.

The shield helps from what I can tell, but I have never not had it on......

I'm out in So Cal, and would be in for a Sleek rally for sure!!!!

Thanks again for the kudos....

LZepol53

Recruit

Vegas,

Thanks for the props! A ton of sanding and prep work on that beast!

I'm hoping to make it out to one of the local lakes this weekend to let her stretch her ol river legs...I have to have the throttle and drive cables adjusted, as I was having some real issues last year.

I will let you know about the RPMS after I take her out.

Are you missing the front bow rail? That Craigslist post looks like something worth looking into......

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Yes the bow rail is missing, but after using her we LIKE IT without it...doesn't look too bad and is way easy to board from the beach, NO TRIPPING!

after some prodding by Jeremy (Ezmobee) on iboats, I installed our windshield/windscreen.... now that its on there...Im not sure I like it that much....might grow on me....Ill leave it for the weekend lake run and see what difference it makes and whether the wife and I like the look etc etc
you might want to remove yours one time this year to see how you like the open front top area...its pretty nice not to have to climb over it etc...

Thats great that you got so many compliments on your maiden run...thats awsome! sure is fun eh! and yes theres ALOT of dull boats out there....

one time at the beach there were all these 27 to 40ft scarabs and the usual bowriders etc etc...but one boat was a 15ft Glastron from the early 60s! it was soooo coool! it had STYLE! (and the owners were there with thier little daughter, they were super nice) anyways...I love all the offshore race boats etc...but some of these oddball boats sure have alot more character don't they!:D

Vegas,

Thanks for the props! A ton of sanding and prep work on that beast!

I'm hoping to make it out to one of the local lakes this weekend to let her stretch her ol river legs...I have to have the throttle and drive cables adjusted, as I was having some real issues last year.

I will let you know about the RPMS after I take her out.

Are you missing the front bow rail? That Craigslist post looks like something worth looking into......

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Ok Jeremy! (ezmobee) we officially DONT like the windscreen on there! it looks ok pretty cool etc...BUT it totally makes it way more difficult to crawl in out off the frt deck especially when beached...so Miranda said NIX IT! so did the sister in law....sorry guys! and it blocks only a bit of wind for about 6 inches up...Im still in the wind blast with my seat being so high.

Ill post a pic of it installed for ya .....we went out yesterday (monday) and are going out again wednesday (the life of a lazy photographer, ya gotta love it)

I still gotta jack with the carb float and hope it helps with the fuel starvation issue. (4100rpm max...were getting 4500 rpms 1rst couple trips out, but then the fuel pump was making it cut out too....darned I need to work on the boat not enjoy it! lol)

this boat blasts through the chop and waves soooooo sweet I cant tell ya.....

Westport

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent!That boat is beautiful!

A couple questions about it. with their outboards, but I didn't know that Chrysler ever made an I/O. Another is that for some reason, i wouldn't think that Chrysler would mate their I/O to a GM engine, instead of using their own 318 or 360 . Or, maybe Sleekcraft thought the Plymouth engines sucked and wanted to use Chevy's.

Is that the stock engine? or was it a replacement?

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Westport and welcome to Iboats...yes it's the Stock Hardin Marine, H260 v8....260 hp engine......
well I guess someone back then decided to make an adapter? who knows! Sleekcrafts from the 80s and even the 70s had just about anything you can imagine installed....dont know if it was a price thing or an availability thing....jet drive, outboards, chevy, OMC stringer, chrysler, alpha ones...seen em all..even JET TURBINE! (owner install)

the pics from the last 2 weekends...SOME NICE SUNSETS! windy and wavey though...still fun!

http://lasvegaspix.com/projects/sleekcraft16/
all pics click link above

me and my daughter Hawaiian style!
IMG_8933.jpg

notice the GAZILLION carp at the dock see bottom of pic
IMG_8957.jpg

My Niece and wife at sunset!
IMG_8989.jpg

heres the BIL about tripping over the darned windscreen... its coming off ASAP
IMG_8988.jpg

here my Niece is driving the boat at trolling speed, moments before she was TEXTING! while driving and fishing! OMG these dang text addicts! my other niece crashed her dads truck at 50mph into a forest, flippinig it 3 times (she was sooo lucky she was mostly unhurt) needless to say she was TEXTING, one week into her license...these dang cell phones are causing the accidents for kids not saving them.
IMG_8970.jpg

note damage to bald forehead from working on the sleek (added a swim deck ladder...DOH banged the head off it looking to install the nylock nuts DOH! Ill post a pic and explain the head injury a bit better, as soon as I get a pic of it..sure makes life easier getting into the boat from the water!....
IMG_9002.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree Paul, that windscreen doesn't really add anything. I'd lose it too. Glad you're still out having fun with the boat.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

hehehhehe lol oh man....hey... I also wanted to try it on, you just egged me on Jeremy! ..:D..lol thanks...seriously though...it is so low it doesn't do much and for what it does do it's not worth it (we got attached to the flat area there....it was really convenient to just slide on into the boat......

I would recommend anyone who has one of these tiny windscreens to remove it for a couple weekends...it is MUCH BETTER without.... :p
I think Ill put some clear safety glasses onboard, so at dusk/night I still have eye protection from the wind blast.... heheheh

Friscoboater

Captain

Its great out on the lake with the family isn't it? Fun times. I just wish I could do it every day.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

IMG_8878.jpg

ok now THAT is some NASTY bilge beer! Im thinking the rear main seal is leaking....DARNED IT! that bilge was immaculate too.....well I rinsed it out into a bucket with soap and water..... Im gonna check the pan bolts too....darn leaks! might be good idea to check the oil level more often eh!

We installed a swim ladder for boarding onto and off the back platforms...MUCH BETTER now....getting in from water before was a feat of aerobics/gymnastics....
my sister in law prodded me to hurry and install one for our next trip out....she isn't as limber as us young people (hahha no Im 42 so yes Im kinda oldish)

anyways Ill take a pic this afternoon and post it...

OMG my beautiful outdrive! carbon gas stain? uuuuhhg
I put a little soap in the mega water barrel when we run her up now...and I now got a few chips where the painit came off the prop and drive...and I was careful painting her...I used alodine on the bare aluminum, primer, sanded that...cleaned and painted it...let it set up for a few days before use...darn it

Ill re-doo it at the end of the season..when it cools down..

more projects!

IMG_8877.jpg

ps STARTING to work on the old NEWMAN boat project....drained the omc/ford 302 oil pan 5 quarts of pure water! a cup of mixed foam...then straight dark oil WHEW it is most likely from when the stringer drive gianormo rubber boot tore while it was in a lake back in missouri or wherever.....
cylinders look good and clean metal inside no rust! (pulled the plugs pretty clean! the tops of the pistons had a little carbon (thats a good thing!) if they were clean as a whistle either the engine is new or water intrusion such as a blowed head gasket etc or gas washing em clean for you who dont know about motors too much....

no foamy oil or nothing under the valve covers (good good good)
anyways...sprayed some WD40 in each cylinder...added a 1/2 quart marvel myster oil to each valve cover filler hole...later this week we will overhaul the carb and ground bench test the motor...check her out before install.....

letting it drain into a pan for an hour...will fill/run/drain/fill run and see how clean it stays...HOPE HOPE HOPE

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey vegas, if your going to keep that an OMC/ford 302 stringer....i have some spare parts i'll ship out your way

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Heyy thanks MrDjflores!

nah...we're selling that boat off ASAP...we need the dough $$$$$$$

that stringer boat (Newman project) ....we've got new impeller, reseal kit / the manual etc...thanks a ton for the offer! if we run into any issues I will PM ya! :D:D:D we have alot of brand new parts invested ini this boat, it was the motor Im hoping holds up, Ill post it to my NEWMAN page any updates....(IE like check it out we have pics from draining 5qts water yesterday lol)

ROCK ON!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey vegas,
Looks and sounds like you are all having a ball.
I hope to be the lake by next year at the current rate. :p
That's OK, I knew it was going to be a long job.
Take care and keep having fun.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

I like how you have the pics of the whole family with big smiles.

Talking with my neighbours dad and he says that his kids always say that those are the best memories from their childhoods.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

thanks Bob

and Sprint I totally agree! I bet the kids will always cherish these days! :D

UPDATE on the sleek :eek:

ok so here I am taking my brother and 2 kids fo a little cruise while the rest of the beach party hangs out at "camp" on the sand/water... anyways...so Im showing him a new cove....ok....we go past a big cruiser....no biggie...we wave...and lo and behold ....FULL FRONTAL NUDITY! (2 dudes in trunks...and a nicely shaped woman waving and fully naked!:p)

ehheheehhehehhehehe

anyways...so I was gonna head out...into the open water...my bro says "whats back there" (in another cove) so we go in....I go to the center, it was kinda murky dirt sediments water in the water....and the prev weekend we seen a big boat with tube blow through that cove 6 times...... ...not knowing how deep etc...one would think the center is deepest....NOT~ wham....nailed a effn rock on the skeg~! so shut it down ....no prop damage (awsome because its real hard to score one of these chrysler props) skeg...chipped the paint...WHEW!

found out an hour later...mustve blow a hydraulic line or somthing :eek:....drive trim NO UP NO DOWN! darn it....top off the fluid....no one home! so we manually push it down while trimming...got her down.....small amount of leakage of oily stuff from under water at the drive......

Ill update on the repair when I get to it...DOH! :D........