Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

How much snow are you getting? We are getting socked in Frisco right now.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just want to say "What a bunch of guys!"

I hope all of you are enjoying Christmas Eve and have a better Christmas Morn. It's Family time!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Keith, I hope you and your family have a very safe and Merry Christmas.
Bob

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bob

How much snow are you getting? We are getting socked in Frisco right now.

We had a TON. ON the way home from my mom's house I was going down a BIG hill which was iced over. There were at least 10 cars on the other side stuck. So...I started pulling them up. I pulled at least 15 cars up that hill and even called the county police to close the hill down and they wouldn't. Finally the cops came and blocked off the road both ways and I had to turn around. ON the OTHER way home I ended up towing two more vehicles up a hill that were blocking the road. Then when I was ALMOST home I pull another car off the median. I am really impressed at what my 4400lb Infiniti QX4 was able to move. Up the large hill I pulled a full size 3/4 Superduty diesel, a full expedition and didn't even break a sweat. I guess the tires I have really like the snow and the low range didn't hurt.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

15 cars!!! you must've been having way too much fun that day!

system-f

15 cars up that hill, 2 more blocking another hill on my detour route, and one more right by my house stuck in a median. Then I woke up this morning to head to Sachse and tried to pull one that the FT Worth PD had stopped to help. Her car was not going to work as her tie rod was broken and a wheel bent out so the cop said thanks, but they need a wrecker anyways.

I hope to get some more glass down on this deck soon, but the holidays are sucking all of my energy away.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Keith,
The resin fumes will give you some energy. :D
I know what you mean, the cold weather drains me. :(
Bob

system-f

Did some more work last night and today. I am ready to flip the hull now.

Crap on the boat.

Picture%20001_small.jpg

Cap ready to come back off.

Picture%20002_small.jpg

Cap off the boat.

Picture%20003_small.jpg

Cap is off.

Picture%20004_small.jpg

Boat coming off the trailer at the stern

Picture%20006_small.jpg

And the front lift

Picture%20007_small.jpg

system-f

There goes the trailer.

Picture%20008_small.jpg

Trailer is in the backyard now.

Picture%20009_small.jpg

Here is the boat dolly of sorts.

Picture%20010_small.jpg

Down on the boat dolly.

Picture%20011_small.jpg

The garage door is finally down.

Picture%20012_small.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that's some tight quarters in there!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You've got that cap removal down to an art! We gotta see pics of the flip.

BTW that's a wicked tree in your back yard.

system-f

I will lift it by the drain hole in the rear and the engine hoist in the front and roll it over. There is enough room in the garage.

I found out that one of my cats walked on the still wet CSM on my deck!!!! I am going to murder which ever one did it!!!

Paint has been the major question on my mind. The prep is going to take far longer and be much more of a pain but simply cost me time and sandpaper. After reading many forums, seen what people have done, and planned for what I want I have decided to go with plain old Rustoleum. At first I was going to use perfection, but then I read you cannot touch it up AND any expensive paint really misses the point of the P.M.Sb. I could order some Rustoleum marine, but why when I have read and seen people get good results with the regular stuff. Yeah, I might have to put another paint job on the boat in a couple of seasons, but what else am I going to do in the winter? The point of this boat, as I have said before is for water sports and to cruise around on inland bodies of water. One of these days I am going to purchase an inboard ski boat (I WOULD LOVE to find an old Inboard Glastron!!!) but for now this is what I have got.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Good luck on the flip. When is the big day planned?
I hope all goes well.
Bob

system-f

Flip tomorrow before the front comes in. I want the bottom DONE and the inside DONE so I can get the cap back on and work on the little junk. I figure I have at least one or two days of sanding and patching on the bottom. What should I use to fill in the spots of missing gelcoat on the keel?

system-f

I got bored and figured why not flip it tonight. I basicaly used Thrill and Lost Cause's method with a minor flaw.

Through the drain hole on the rear.

Picture%20013_small.jpg

Engine hoist on the front, yes this scratch the hull a little, and will be far different when turning it back over.

Picture%20014_small.jpg

Here we go

Picture%20015_small.jpg

Picture%20016_small.jpg

I had to use a block of wood as this part of the hull was weaker and I didn't like the noises.

Picture%20017_small.jpg

You can see how the wood keeps the chain off the edge of the hull and spreads the load.

Picture%20018_small.jpg

system-f

Almost there, looks like it won't make it...but
Picture%20019_small.jpg

Picture%20020_small.jpg

This is where I got scared. Is it just going to suddenly roll over on me??!?!

Picture%20021_small.jpg

The "touch up" job by the previous owner.

Picture%20022_small.jpg

And finally we are over.

Picture%20023_small.jpg

Picture%20024_small.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Paint has been the major question on my mind. The prep is going to take far longer and be much more of a pain but simply cost me time and sandpaper. After reading many forums, seen what people have done, and planned for what I want I have decided to go with plain old Rustoleum. At first I was going to use perfection, but then I read you cannot touch it up AND any expensive paint really misses the point of the P.M.Sb. I could order some Rustoleum marine, but why when I have read and seen people get good results with the regular stuff. Yeah, I might have to put another paint job on the boat in a couple of seasons, but what else am I going to do in the winter?

How about a middle ground......Easypoxy. The stuff is awesome. The gloss is unreal. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2281.jpg Time will tell how it holds up for me but at least initially, it SEEMS to be a harder finish than the Rustoleum. Halfway decent color pallet as well http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/images/Multi/Pettit/large/1329s.jpg jcsercsa is not overly thrilled with how Rustoleum has held up on his glass boat after one season.

system-f

I read up on easypoxy. For now I am going to clean the hull up and figure it out from there. I did purchase two 1/2 pints of rustoleum so I could play around with it. I will at least use it on the insides of the gunwales.

I took the gelcoat off the keel and layed some 1708 on it to help build up the keel from some previous damage. Laying glass on more flat surfaces RAWKS!

Bob, though I am still using flapper discs the belt sander is starting to come into its own on the bottom of the hull against the gelcoat.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you flip that by yourself? Nice job, should keep you busy for a little while. Are you going to paint it while it is in the flipped position or flip it back over?