Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

I am using a palm sander and it is working perfectly. For smoother stuff I am using the hand sander. I sanded down most of the filler I added today and have to add more filler to some of the same areas. It isn't as bad as I thought, I am just pissed I created so much extra sanding for myself. I have 10x this much work to do on the cap with all of the nooks and crannies...it will suck. For now I am getting close to fliping it back over and working on the inside so I can get the cap back on and the mechanics back in. A running boat is much more fun to make pretty on the outside.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

When I worked in the body shop it was all about layers...spray on or spread on a layer of what ever it was....then patiently sand it off..... most of the time we used a block or something close to the shape of what we were trying to form.....always changing directions with the sandpaper. One of the best things we used was a paint paddle wrapped in sand paper, always an aggressive grit, 80 was a finish grit before primer......and we used everything down to 24....but 95% of the time it was by hand, sanders get too aggressive in a hurry! I know it sounds "slow" but in the end hand sanding can be faster. And leave it "high", you can always sand the filler down more when its primed. Hang in there!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Your doing a great job. Keep the faith and don't rush yourself.
I have always liked hand sanders myself, it may seem slower but like archbuilder stated it is sometimes faster because you have fewer mistakes. Hand sanding you get a better feel for what you are removing.
Doing great man, keep it up.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

there aint no substitute for all the work youre doing, doing it right is always harder! :D

we used some of that bondo glass short strand on a couple gel coat cracks, dished out the crack with the flap disc etc, after it was all perfectly smooth with the bondo glass and sanded out it actually cracked again the next day!

I hope all your repairs hold up, I know I was bummed when that crack happened (the new crack) we will lay some fiberglass cloth and resin on there and then re fair it out, then it should hold. I just hope, the same as you, that some of the smaller repairs at-least, hold up through the years.

Keep the faith!

and PS wetsanding seems to clog less for some of the sanding such as that resin drip.

system-f

I picked up a new foster dog tonight. Her name was JayLee, but I am renaming her to Sasha. Having a JerryLee and a JayLee gets confusing on the dogs.

Here are the pics, she is a monster crazy German Shepherd dog...I need more time on the boat :(

Jaylee1.JPG

Jaylee2.JPG

Jaylee3.JPG

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Great looking dog. I really like it when folks like yourself take the time for other animals.

Bob

system-f

Saturday Sasha found her forever home...so far.

Just more sanding and sanding and sanding and removing pinstripe and stickers. I only have a little more filling to do and Friday I will order my easypoxy. I want to have the boat ready to de-wax, clean, then paint by this weekend.

Ondavr and other resin experts I have a question:

There is a guy local to me who sells me poly resin out of a 55 gallon drum for a great price and the resin seems to work as well as the UScomposites 435 general layup stuff. I noticed that when he was pumping my resin it was very thin and he had the drum heated to at least 80 degrees if not hotter. The resin was about as thick as 10/30 in the summer. I thought that heat would cure resin alone...that you could put heat to poly and it would cure without MEKP? or do you still have to have MEKP to start the process heat just speeds it up?

system-f

Sasha came back tonight. It seems as though she didn't work out for her new foster home.

I started sanding the boat tonight, but then ended up pulling the dash out of my dad's jeep wrangler because the defroster vent lever is cracked :( I really want to get this boat back together as it feels like I am going no where right now. Add filler, then sand, then find 4 more spots that need filler and sand then rip off 2 more stickers I forgot and sand the adhesive off, then find another spot and add filler then sand, etc... I hope to light a fire under my hind-end soon and spend some serious time getting the hull ready. The good news is the bottom of the hull is 99% ready. I did find that I sanded too deep where the chine start off the keel and remove a littl gelcoat in spots. The areas are still smooth and look strange due to the color change.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Keep the faith Keith, We still have a pretty long winter to go. Just keep moving forward. You have come a long way .
I'm looking forward to seeing this boat shinning and on the water.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I feel you man. I just spent two days sanding and polishing and I still have two thirds of the hull to do. Are you using a DA sander? Makes my life easier.

system-f

I am using a palm sander, but lately have been doing everything by hand. I am going back to the palm sander for the heavy compound removal then to hand to finish it up.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I got one of those DA sanders, I never use it due to the fact that it uses bookooo air and my compressor and tank are too small for it to work longer than 1 minute. I use an elec palm sander

good lookin Shepard!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Saturday Sasha found her forever home...so far.

Just more sanding and sanding and sanding and removing pinstripe and stickers. I only have a little more filling to do and Friday I will order my easypoxy. I want to have the boat ready to de-wax, clean, then paint by this weekend.

Ondavr and other resin experts I have a question:

There is a guy local to me who sells me poly resin out of a 55 gallon drum for a great price and the resin seems to work as well as the UScomposites 435 general layup stuff. I noticed that when he was pumping my resin it was very thin and he had the drum heated to at least 80 degrees if not hotter. The resin was about as thick as 10/30 in the summer. I thought that heat would cure resin alone...that you could put heat to poly and it would cure without MEKP? or do you still have to have MEKP to start the process heat just speeds it up?

80*F is fine and it will be much easier to use at that temp.

Will it cure on its own....sort of, but it normally takes more heat than that, plus it only gels and gets somewhat hard, it won't cure as if you added catalyst. There are catalysts that are heat activated though, you add it to the resin and then heat it to around 150*F and it cures.

system-f

TOday was the first day that when I got done sanding I looked at the hull and felt that it actually is starting to look good. The starboard side is completely dont as for sticker removal and major material removal. The port side is almost done. I ordered my paint today from Jamestown, 1 gallon of easypoxy Gloss white.

One thing I forgot about:

I flipped my hull completed so unlike most I have the weight of the deck and stringers on the gunwales while flipped. I hope it dosen't damage the gunwales. I did build stops in the hull support to keep the sides from bowing out too much.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad you went with Easypoxy. You're going to love it. Good thing too cuz you bought enough to paint your boat, your trailer, and your truck :p Good luck with it.

system-f

Alright EZ this is the plan once the hull is sanded and I have a good glass surface to put the Easypoxy down.

1. De-wax..I KNOW I KNOW, I should have done this first, but I didn't know and now is better than never.

2. Wash with an amonia/water solution with a lint free cloth

3. Apply easypoxy as instructed roll and tip the same way done in the Jamestown video.

comments?

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I painted min with easypoxy and had great results. I used a 4" foam roller for smooth surfaces and it went on great and covered like a blanket. I did not have to do alot of "tipping". Just keep an eye out for runs as they will sneak up on you. Once I got all the paint applied I just re-rolled over it again with the roller and it took care of all the runs, sags, drips.

Good luck!!

system-f

As soon as it gets here.

Still have to do sticker removal on the port side and go over everything again with 220.