Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Thanks for the tips. The ski boat is looking great. I wish we could have a few more months of Sundays weather. Nice.

I've read that some builders use thick epoxy or 5200 to attach the deck to the stringers. They glue it and then add lots of weight (batteries, 5 gallon buckets of water) to hold it down tight for a day or two. No screws needed and less of a chance for water intrusion. Once the edges are glassed to the hull it's going to be one stiff boat.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am NOT worried about water intrustion from my screw holes :)

First I drilled the holes
Then I poured resin into the holes
Then I placed a screw into the hole
Next I painted a puddle of resin around the screw so it would suck it down while being pulled in
Finally I coated the top of the screw with resin.

Even if I did have good ole epoxy I would still screw it down.

I think I am going to use PL to bed the deck into the hull, then 1708 for tabbing, then csm over it all , finally some 7oz as a finish.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

man the tron is looking good! should be super solid soon as that deck is in!

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am NOT worried about water intrustion from my screw holes :)

First I drilled the holes
Then I poured resin into the holes
Then I placed a screw into the hole
Next I painted a puddle of resin around the screw so it would suck it down while being pulled in
Finally I coated the top of the screw with resin.

Even if I did have good ole epoxy I would still screw it down.

I think I am going to use PL to bed the deck into the hull, then 1708 for tabbing, then csm over it all , finally some 7oz as a finish.

Sounds like a plan. You're rolling along fast. You'll be boarding by the time it's warm again.

system-f

The deck is attached to the hull. Some of it looks like a drunk parot got ahold of some tools, but nothing the sander/glass/or pl won't cover up. The floor is solid like before I tore the boat apart. Maybe one day it will see water again. :)

100_1486_small.jpg

100_1487_small.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Keith,
I'm glad to see the deck back in. I'm sure not as much as you.
Looks good and almost ready to paint that deck and bilge.
Great Job :D
Bob

system-f

I have a lot of glass work to do on the floor before any paint goes down and also two pieces of wood for the front under bow section.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I remember at one point you were talking about doing a sort of water ballast, is this still in the works? or are you going to go with ballast bags?

system-f

Right now the goal is to get the boat back on the water. That being said, I did leave some spaces under the deck for ballast bags.

Friscoboater

Captain

Wow.... I take a break from reading for a day and you stick the deck in. Nice work.

Ok...Now mind you... I am stupid... why the ballast bags? Wakeboarding?

system-f

ballast bags, yes wakeboarding. It is going to be awhile before anyone that I tow or myself are good enough to need ballast bags for wakeboarding. We really wouldn't mind some stronger wake for kneeboarding, though. I had about 800lbs worth of people and gear in the boat and the wake was just about perfect. Two of those people weighed 500lbs by themselves but they don't come out with use very often so bags to take their place wouldn't be bad.

Obvious0ne

Cadet

awesome! Starting to look like a boat again

Did you ever come up with a workable doggie ladder scheme?

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ballast bags, yes wakeboarding. It is going to be awhile before anyone that I tow or myself are good enough to need ballast bags for wakeboarding. We really wouldn't mind some stronger wake for kneeboarding, though. I had about 800lbs worth of people and gear in the boat and the wake was just about perfect. Two of those people weighed 500lbs by themselves but they don't come out with use very often so bags to take their place wouldn't be bad.

Cool! gotcha! My dad sold his air nautique because I was the only one who ever took it out. he had used it twice since he bought it in 2007 soo he sold it. that was sweet though, with the tank filled and the three bags we had, you could throw a clean sharp chest sized wake. so I really want to do ballast bags on my boat, but like you, I think it might be a bit outside of my project scope, plus I am worried with 750 lbs of water and three people, it will be a struggle to get going in my boat with a tired 4.3L

I think a bit bigger wake is easier though, as jumps are much much harder with a small wake, and almost impossible to do a wake to wake jump.

I noticed you had a Keystone light board, that's awesome! have you done any single skiing yet?

system-f

Did you ever come up with a workable doggie ladder scheme?

Yes, wait until you see the swim platform I am going to build for this thing. Think like on an inboard/v-drive but with a hole for the outdrive. I want the swim platform an inche above the water line when the boat is sitting still.

One of the things I really like about the straight 6 is its endless amount of torque, and with the 4 bladed stainless it really 'digs' in. At wakeboard and kneeboard speeds I shouldn't have any problems with the boat loaded near max rated load. It turns out that most of the last season I was running with the drive trimmed up quite a bit. I had to bleed the system to get it to go down and then it would REALLY jump up on plane and hold plane at a much lower controled speed. Since the rear of this boat is more narrow than newer runabouts of a similar size it seems to cut deeper into the water and produces a decent wake for being a Poor Man's Skiboat.

The wakeboard is actually one of my boat buddies. The bindings suck and it seems to be a very hard to control board, but the price of loanership is right. I have a set of skis, but have never been able to get up on a slalom. Next year I might try, though.

system-f

Bedded in most of the deck and then ran out of PL. I am using the PL to fill in the small gap between the deckand hull so the glass has a nice smooth transition. This weekend I leave for some camping and mountain biking at Big Bend so I won't be working on the boat until next Tuesday and Wednesday at which time glass will begin to go down on the deck. The good news is I have two weeks of for christmas and hope to have the hull flipped before I go back to work.

system-f

Moved to my thread, I know this isn't really related to my project, but it has to do with what I know and why I even started my project. Besides, we all like pictures of mechanical type stuff of our hobbies, right?

Here is one of Blackbear pass. The trail is at about 11,190k feet and the town below (Teluride, CO) is at around 9k. This was my first time on the trail and although easy i was scared. Turn volume down and ignore the techno music, it relaxed me and helped me focus...and yeah it is not that hard of a trail, I sound like a wussy, but the rocks were wet and I was nervous :)

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/black_bear.wmv

Here is one I did a little more boat related as a joke, warning I say a cuss word but the volume is low.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/Extreme_Ironing.mpg

The Xterra in front of me is my friend's. We put a Calamini Solid Axle swap kit on it several years ago (after the Black Bear video) and it is without a doubt the most comfortable, capable vehicle possible for on road and offroad that a regular person can afford. The only thing that would make it better is a manual and some mild cams, two upgrades I did to my vehicle to make it cruise better on the highway.

Pics of when I went to the junkyard to get his axle:

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/glensaxle/

Pics of his rear gear setup pattern trial and error

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/glengearsetup/

Pics of the D44 setup

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/glensd44/

His SAS parts delivered to my house since we did the conversion there.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/sasparts/

Here is the actual SAS install. This was done in a weekend and was mostly bolt on.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/sasprogress/

This is after I installed his rear leaf springs for him.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/sasrear/PA170004.JPG

bear_69cuda

Commander

Cool dude!

Thanks for posting that stuff Keith!

BTW, it's been awile since I checked out your thread, wow you have the flipping deck in! Looks great man! Awesome work...

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One of the things I really like about the straight 6 is its endless amount of torque, and with the 4 bladed stainless it really 'digs' in. At wakeboard and kneeboard speeds I shouldn't have any problems with the boat loaded near max rated load.

The wakeboard is actually one of my boat buddies. The bindings suck and it seems to be a very hard to control board, but the price of loanership is right. I have a set of skis, but have never been able to get up on a slalom. Next year I might try, though.

do you have combo skis? I think having a good driver helps a ton too, do you have a friend with lots of ski driving experience that can drive for you?

do you think the 4 blade stainless was worth the price? this is an upgrade that I am considering as well.

Obvious0ne

Cadet

He's definitely going to say the 4 blade was worth it... So much more acceleration! This is Glen, btw (with the xterra). I'm mostly a sailor and did my own glass repair on my Laser - but we had a blast on the PMSB this summer and I look forward to a lot more