Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f,
Great video, I would love to do that some day. I use to backpack the rockies years ago.
Once again great.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

gotta love the extreme ironing! lol love the retro helmet

we were going to move to colorado back a few years ago....found a nice lot at 10,000 feet 8 acres, frontside of the rockies, near Cripple Creek, we passed on it tho...the 7 trips out to colorado to check out moving there was a ball...

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He's definitely going to say the 4 blade was worth it... So much more acceleration! This is Glen, btw (with the xterra). I'm mostly a sailor and did my own glass repair on my Laser - but we had a blast on the PMSB this summer and I look forward to a lot more

That's what its all about, the Fun! haha

Its a pretty size able investment compared to a $100 four blade alum though too. that would bring me outside of my budget by alot, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :D

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do you have combo skis? I think having a good driver helps a ton too, do you have a friend with lots of ski driving experience that can drive for you?

THe Glenard (Obviousone) is getting good at pulling me and so is my other friend.

do you think the 4 blade stainless was worth the price? this is an upgrade that I am considering as well.

The first 4 blade I tried slipped WAY too much. It was crazy. I was turning 3 grand at 23mph and with my busted up 3 blade aluminum 23 pitch I would do 3 grand at 30. The second 4 blade I tried was $220 more for a total of $530, but grabs the water VERY HARD. I actually got 2mph on my top end and it pulls SO awesome. I always wanted to try the HIGH 5...people swear by them.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THe Glenard (Obviousone) is getting good at pulling me and so is my other friend.

The first 4 blade I tried slipped WAY too much. It was crazy. I was turning 3 grand at 23mph and with my busted up 3 blade aluminum 23 pitch I would do 3 grand at 30. The second 4 blade I tried was $220 more for a total of $530, but grabs the water VERY HARD. I actually got 2mph on my top end and it pulls SO awesome. I always wanted to try the HIGH 5...people swear by them.

Sounds good! The single ski is a bit tricky, but man it is totally worth it!

I will enlist your help with the prop when it comes to that stage.

Any more pics or progress lately? :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Brutha!

wow that blackbear pass video was nuts,, looks like you guys were going down a 45 degree death road....flipping swiss alps death drop offs...man Id be worried about brake failure...and I certainly wouldnt be wearing a seatbelt! gotta be able to jump out quick!

we have been 4x4ing with my brother in his jeep at Calico in California...fun stuff but not too extreme...fun quick weekend trip with the kids...we bring or rv and offroad go kart...they have thier jeep and rv etc... heres some guys pics showing the landscape

we took our 1972 International pick up to Schofield pass road on a colorado trip once, we only got to Crystal Colorado and turned around, that truck was like 22' ft long and not a 4x4...drum brakes etc...we woulda died had we gone all the way! lol
heres the famous Mill and the reason we went, theres also a cool ghost town there, a family owns the property but is was cool and lets visitirs check it all out.
1111087-lg.jpg

Schofield pass is along your lines of fun....check it out here
http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=021503IO*14754wd&areaid=COASPN&rectype=Mountain+Biking&startrecord=1&fromPage=summary&CU_ID=1

Colorado is awsome...so many dang off road trails and ghost towns to explore etc....fun stuff! my wife and I have hit about 1/2 the ghost town trails in colorado...always fun and gorgeous those trips.....we plan on renting a jeep out of Durango Colorado on the next trip out that way.....they have an awsome steam train the Durango and Silverton Narrow gauge....neat town

attached a pic of the interenational truck at a pass 10000 ft in colorado in the fall, it had 65k miles on it when we got it, it got t boned so we bought another same truck and stripped the parts started to redo her....we painted the motor with house of kolors pearl orange and clear...5 years later it is still holding up! I thought it might burn off..but NOPE!

Attachments

• IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7029.jpg
    IMG_7029.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

chute! I thought I was PMn ya...didnt mean to hijack :eek: your thread! with that long blabbery reply!:D

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cool picture Vegas! looks amazing! I am impressed!

system-f

More than OK, Vegas. Hijack away.

I am back from my mini vacation, finished up my Xmas shopping today and got back to the boat. All I did tonight was finish up the PL around the deck and cut up some 1708 strips to tab the deck in with tomorrow. I think I am going to run out of resin before I can finish the deck glass as I only have 2 1/2 gallons left. I am going to try and see if my resin hookup can sell me a couple of gallons tomorrow, but it might be too close to x-mas.

No pics of the boat, but here are some pics of my mini vacation. Vegas, this is along your lines. The glenard (obvious one) purchased a Canon D90 some time ago and has gotten into amatuer photography. He took all of these pics with his D90. While we were out he was playing with super long shutter shots of the stars.

http://overlandtrucks.com/kaiser/BBRSP/

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Keith,
Very cool pic's, glad you had a great mini Vacation.
Now like they told me, get back to work. :D
Bob

thrillhouse700

Ok so we are taking a break from our restore due to a couple other projects and the holidays, and you other guys' awesome boats are supposed to feed my addiction but everyone else is on a break too!!!

Glad your back btw, I need some threads to look at and pictures! Got about 3-4 more days before we can start working on ours again.

system-f

I will start more work tomorrow. The plan is to have the cap back off, deck finished, and the boat flipped before the 4th so I can start paint prep.

I am planning on NOT installing the front bulkhead as the front upper deck and cap will provide the support needed in the front. I really want this boat to be able to DRAIN.

Here is a picture of the front deck and the bulkhead I plan on not installing is almost torn out.

100_1386_small.jpg

system-f

I got far more done on the PMSB today than I had thought. I finished tabbing in the deck, cut out the front upper deck and resin coated the underside, glassed all of the front deck, and glassed all of the rear deck with CSM and 1708 which goes into the bilge walls. I also used my resin hook up and picked up another 3 gallons of resin at $20 a gallon.

Here are the pictures.

In this picture you can see the gunnel channel that the bottom of the gunnel panel bolts to. I hate this channel. It keeps water and leaves under and around it making it nearly impossible to clean perfectly. I do need part of the channel there to support the front part of the gunnel side panel which supports the shifter and speakers so I cut it past the first two bolt holes.

Before starboard.

100_1513_small.jpg

After Starboard.

100_1515_small.jpg

Here is the front part of the deck which has been tabbed with 1708 and covered with CSM.

100_1516_small.jpg

Pre cut matt/cloth for the stern deck/bilge.

100_1518_small.jpg

Port Stern soaked

100_1519_small.jpg

Starboard stern soaked.

100_1521_small.jpg

I didn't think my wrighting on the deck boards would show through the glass or didn't think about it at the time. Looks like I will have to paint the deck unless I want the writing visible.

system-f

I also tried to get the harmonic balancer off of the engine. It didn't go too well and I will try harder later.

100_1522_small.jpg

system-f

I finished most of the glass work on the top deck and am not going to be able to do more up there until the cap comes off. I also learned that though the 6000 series 3m respirator is good against poly it is not good against the smell of cat dung.

Friscoboater

Captain

Man that is some nice work. Glassing that deck has to be better than doing the strings.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Your moving right along, looks great.
Just make sure the writing is not anything you don't want people to read.
Have the dog take care of the cat. Problem solved.:p
Nice work
Bob

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore? Nope...Rebuild

Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore? Nope...Rebuild

I remember the previous owner telling me he though the boat needed an engine/outdrive oil change and then it hit me?I forgot to check the oil before I bought the boat. I pulled the dipstick and was greeted with milky white goodness. Immediately I got out the compression tester and began to check the engine. 1-120, 2-130, 3-90, 4-0, 5-0, 6-30?OH CRAP. 4 and 5 had a blown head gasket between them and 5/6 was close to blown. I began pulling the head having my worst fears confirmed and found a very warped head and VERY blown head gasket.

Ahhh... the dreaded "needs an oil change" "needs a tune-up". If you ever hear those words from the PO, prepare to run. It's NEVER an oil change or a tune up, 100% of the time it actually means PO has no idea what's wrong, everything cheap and easy he tried has failed. If it is ever anything that simple, they would have done it long ago.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Neato pics of the stars!

Try tapping the balancer with a light hammer hit while someone else pressures the puller...should "pop" don't dent the pulley! (It prob has a dash of silicone sealer helping to hold it on, as some people seal the balancer hole so oil doesn't leak through.)

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

199q thanks...unfortunetly when I went there it was yucky photo (overcast) weather....my shots werent near as impressive, I found that on on BING.com images....
I really gotta find my Colorado pics....between the 7 computers and 5 external hard drives not to mention about 500 DVDs and CDs full of images, everything is a mess! LOST ....where is that pic?!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Awsome clean glass work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! should be solid as a tank now!

good call on the open bow bulkhead, looks plenty strong without it and like you said WATER TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays