Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Sweet man. That had to be a butt puckering experience. We got more of that white crap falling.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool! That set of photos belongs somewhere on a web site called: "I told you I could do it"

That is totally awesome. That hull looks like it's actually in pretty good shape.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Hello Keith,
Looks like the flip went well. Other then a few pucker moments very well done. :D
Thanks for the info about the belt sander. I did go out and get one last week at the local HD store.
I head back home tomorrow afternoon, so I hope to get some more work completed on my boat this weekend. :D
I have been staying in southwest Texas all week, and driving into Mexico every night. I'm in McAllen TX.
Once again Keith congrats on the boat Flip.
Bob

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Flipped it by myself. It was much easier than I thought. Once hull repairs are made and I rough up the surface I will paint it while it is flipped. In the future if I have to repaint it will be off trailer, but in the upright position.

system-f

Today I played around with rustoleum gloss white. I have never really painted anything I intended to be halfway pretty so I figured I should play around with it while I could fix any big mistakes. I put down one coat on a small section of the hull that is easily sandable just to see what it looks like. Of course I need to put down several more coats before it covers completely, but it seems to work a lot easier than I thought. Sanding the hull on the other hand is a big ole pain i the hind end.

system-f

Yes, my hull will be a very plain and boring glossy white. I don't want to get complicated my first time painting. I am leaning back towards interlux brightside...

Obvious0ne

Cadet

You should get some posterboard or cardboard or something you can use to make templates of where the stripes and different colors were - so that you can put 'em back at some point in the future if you want to

thrillhouse700

DONT use a belt sander on any part of your hull thinking that it is flat..... We made that mistake :) I can almost guarantee you that whatever "flat" spot there is on the hull is not really flat.

When we tried it, it just made two long lines from the edges of the belt and caused more work for us. DA it or hand sand it.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Looking good F!

Great job engineering the hull flip!

system-f

Yup Thrill, I found that out the hard way about the belt sander. I wondered why it kept eating belts. Now I am using the flapper discs for the super fast removal, a palm sander or my hands. I have some resin drips on the keel that are driving me nuts. Sanding SUCKS.

You should get some posterboard or cardboard or something you can use to make templates of where the stripes and different colors were - so that you can put 'em back at some point in the future if you want to

Thought about it, don't care. It needs to look good from 5 feet away and be a safe functional platform for cruising or watersports. This is not a restore, but a rebuild (can't figure out how to change the main heading).

I think I am done with the rustoleum idea. I am already ahead of schedule and after pricing brightside + prime-kote I think this will be easier to apply for the first time painter and provide a much harder surface for the extra $150. Now I just need to get the hull sanded down. I will not paint the top of the transom while the hull is fliped as I have more glass work to do when the cap come back on.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking good system-f, great job on the close-quarters hull flip, looked difficult and cramped from here:D

can't figure out how to change the main heading

If you click "edit" on your very first post you can edit the text from the post and the original thread title:)

Looking forward to seeing the rig in action after the project!

system-f

If you click "edit" on your very first post you can edit the text from the post and the original thread title

Thanks, Huron. I tried that and it changed the title for the first post, but not the main title. I am probably doing something wrong, or missing something.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks, Huron. I tried that and it changed the title for the first post, but not the main title. I am probably doing something wrong, or missing something.

I did that too many times and now I cannot change it anymore.

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I am done with the rustoleum idea. I am already ahead of schedule and after pricing brightside + prime-kote I think this will be easier to apply for the first time painter and provide a much harder surface for the extra $150. Now I just need to get the hull sanded down. I will not paint the top of the transom while the hull is fliped as I have more glass work to do when the cap come back on.[/QUOTE]

I just finished painting mine with Easypoxy, it came out great!
Very easy to apply, with great results! Can not say enough good thins about it.

Obvious0ne

Cadet

Oh - I forgot to check my paints yesterday... what I have is:

Pre-Kote 4279 White and Brightside 4359 White

I need to recoat my Laser blades so I don't want to give it all away - but if you wind up needing some of it you're welcome to it.

system-f

I just finished painting mine with Easypoxy, it came out great!
Very easy to apply, with great results! Can not say enough good thins about it.

What steps did you take to paint? Did you prime? or sand and put on top of gelcoat? Did you roll and tip?

system-f

I have been working on the hull for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours per day. Sanding sucks, but the worse part is I have created most of the sanding work for myself. Most of this will seem very obvious to a normal person, but to me it is far from so. I am a 98% function guy and a 2% form guy, but of course I want the boat to look half way decent so this is forcing me to work in a way I am not use to.

1. The flaper discs gouge into the gelcoat and create new little areas of fun to fill.

2. This is the outside of the boat, not the inside and any little imprefection shows up (this sounds obvious to everyone, but the way my mind works it wasn't)

3. I need a better fairing compound. RIght now I am using the bondo short strand fiberglass filler, which works great for big chunks of missing fiberglass and gelcoat, but a true fairing compound is what I need for the little imprefections ie. angle grinder madness.

4. On the inside of the boat a dribble of resin is not really a big deal if you forget to wipe it up, on the outside it is another couple of mins of sanding :(

I am not going to paint the boat while it is flipped for two reasons:

1. It won't be warm enough for a couple of months and I have tons of other things I can be doing right now.

2. I don't have the cash to order all of the painting supplies I need.

Here are some pictures of my mess.

I thought it would be a good idea to lay 1708 over the keel for more strength. After that was done I remembered CSM only on the outside otherwise you won't have a smooth finish. After much sanding and filling I have gotten the keep smoothed out.

Picture%20025_small.jpg

Picture%20027_small.jpg

Here is the transom mess. I had no choice but to use the flapper disc on a lot of the objects here. Much more filling is required once the hull is back over. The filling that has been done was just put down and is not yet sanded.

Picture%20028_small.jpg

Unsanded repairs to the side of the hull. Most of this was gelcoat cracking, but the big one was where I cut through the hull. 1708 and CSM is on the other side.

Picture%20029_small.jpg

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm just speaking from woodworking experience here. But how would a Random Orbit sander with a soft pad work on that. It's not as aggressive as the flapper.

Someone may tell me that that's a bad choice, but it seems logical to me. I guess if it's too mellow, you might be sanding for a month!:eek:

Any body else have a comment on this method?:confused:

Friscoboater

Captain

Oh man, that looks like you own personal hell. Keep the faith man.