Outrageous Postal stamp...

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Outrageous Postal stamp...

Well, I think that just MAYBE SOMETIMES PROBABLY...it ain't :D <br /><br />To be quite honest, I kind of felt for a while that you were just instigatig:) Still not so sure...will hafta keep an eye on you!!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Very good Woodrat, it means Peace be unto you my brother, so go in peace was very close. A reply would be "asalake asalam" which means "And may the same peace be unto you my brother" <br /><br />You seem to show a lot of interest in the Koran and I was wondering if you had read it or not. All people of all religons should read the 4 books- Old Testament, New Testamnet, Koran, and the Latter Day Saints book. You will learn that these religons are basiclly the same thing. The Old Testament and the Koran are so much alike its unbelieveable. My only problem with Islam is they deny Jesus as the son of God, Allah, Yaweh, or whatever you wish to call him. They trear Jesus as a prophet, similar to Moses and Abraham.<br /><br /><br />Sorry if it come out that I was attacking you, not my intenetions. I had a feeling that you were muslim and I see that I was wrong.

woodrat

Ensign

Nope, I'm not a muslim any more than i'm a christian. I have read little bits of the koran here and there. I have read much more of the bible and some of the book of mormon. I've studied a little bit of the hindu faith and buddhism as well. I am interested in religious artwork and icons from all religions; I think that the russian orthodox icons are amazingly beautiful, and I've also been impressed by artwork from the ottoman empire. The artwork, robes and music/chants from tibetan buddhism are also nothing short of fascinating for me.<br /><br />I've found that most of the world's major religions have a great deal of similarities and the one common thing that turns me away from many of them is their self proclaimed exclusiveness regarding the "truth" and access to god.<br /><br />My universe is simply too big for any ONE angle on the truth to shut out all the others. And most versions of christianity I've encountered, including the mormon and catholic churches, do exactly that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by woodRAT:<br /> sorry "dood", but if they run it again this winter it will be this stamp's fourth holiday season in use. I'd say the ink is dry on this one. and it's a self stickie one too, so no one will have to touch their precious american tongues to it and maybe get an unwelcome taste of felafel or some other "mutant towel head" food. God forbid!
Eww,Grose! Not on any mail addressed to me, or from me. I guess only mutants use them to get thier ordinance invoices back to thier crater-ridden, bombed-out "homeland". :) <br />I'm more concerned with "the unwelcome taste of" sarin and such., than I am about falafels. I like falafels smothered in a moderate amount of goodold 100%pure Maple syrup from the United States. But as for the terroist stamp, no way. Only in America. Or...I wonder if the towelhead Hammas prints-up any "Merry Christmas" stamps. Guess not. They would need a printing p[ress and a post office for that.<br />You seem to know a great deal more than most about these raghead stamps....What does inscription on the mutant stamp with the squirley "letters" impart? :confused: <br /><br /> "Death to the American infidel and his structures of capitalism"? Or do they read, Merry Christmas form the enemy"? Just curious.<br /><br />On a serious note, you stated
Originally posted by woodRAT:<br />My universe is simply too big for any ONE angle on the truth to shut out all the others. And most versions of christianity I've encountered, including the mormon and catholic churches, do exactly that.
<br />My second church was my boat. I used to take it out somewhere isolated, anchor, maybee fish, and marvel at this big universe, and what a magnificant hand came to create it. No name at that time for the creator, but I would talk to him anyway..<br />Now, (when the boat is running), I still do the same thing, and marvel at his handiwork.! :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

This just proves my point. Even Christianity, which in my opinion is written in stone not to be flexible with the changing times or any other man made laws, is interpreted different ways here. Just because of the views of one or two men on the King James Bible, it will not alter my faith in Christianity. The point I am trying to make is this. The Muslim faith is not to blame any more than Christianity and the Holy Bible is to blame for this man beating his wife black and blue, using his belt on her if he felt the need.<br />I have been told by "Christians" that my Catholic faith is NOT a Christian belief. I have been told by more than one "Christian" that things I believe in as a Catholic are not right, and I will be punished in Hell for these beliefs. Most of the beliefs they say I hold as Catholic are lies spread about my beliefs. If these people would have taken the time to learn and understand my beliefs their opinion of me would change. The same with the Muslim faith. Some here need to spend some time learning about it. One of my former bosses was one that believed I would never get into Heaven because I am Catholic. He was constantly telling me what I believe and calling me a liar when I tried to explain my beliefs. If he would take the time he would learn that we were not that different. He constantly told me that the Catholic Bible said this and that, and that the pope would re-write the bible to fit his needs whenever he wanted. History porves that the Catholic bible is the oldest version, and is un-changed from the beginning. I have read both Catholic and King James bibles. I find very little to no difference in the two. I told this man that and he became angry, didn't believe me, and refused to listen or research to find the truth.<br />One day he suddenly changed churches without a word. Later turned out he didn't like something his church taught, so he changed. I believe things are written in stone, not open to opinion.<br /><br />I am not starting a fight between faiths. I am just using my experiences to porve a point. YOU CAN NOT CONDEMN A WHOLE RELIGION BASED ON THE ACTIONS OF A FEW AND BASED ON MISUNDERSTANDINGS OF THAT FAITH!

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deputy is exactly right..."you can not condemn a whole religion based on the actions of a few and based on misunderstandings of that faith"<br /><br />Maybe some of you should read and study that sentence. Some have shown your true colors in countless threads now and your stance of COMPLETE intolerance to any word other than yours is blatently apparent. Maybe you could go start your envisioned christian nation somewhere...OTHER THAN THIS GREAT COUNTRY WHERE TOLERANCE AND FREEDOM OF RELIGION ARE OUR HERITAGE. It's a shame that some of the most outspoken christians on this board are such a poor representation of the faith as a whole. I do like that some of your directly racist and hateful comments aren't getting censored though...it's a lot easier to see the real person when they're not being censored. <br /><br />I kind of thought that this thread would have died out after tcube pointed out that it is not a christmas stamp, which by the way if it actually was I could understand people being insulted by it. And then someone pointed out that there are and have been stamps depicting different faiths before...and somehow you're still enraged by this stamp. <br /><br />Thanks to all of the level headed people who have responded though. Some of you are even people that I've seen from other posts are staunch and energetic christians yourselves...kudos to you guys for being realistic about this non issue!<br /><br />I'm going to go back to ignoring this thread again now...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

OK, so you can't condemn a whole religion because of a crazy sub-sect's actions. Agreed. But what does the squigly lines on the mutant's raghead stamp translate to (In Americanese)?<br />And we have all learned what an "IED" is. And "improvised Explosive Device".<br />But what is an "EID"? Exploding Idiot Devil"?

spratt

Lieutenant

A little research, which is so easy to do with the Internet only a couple mouse clicks away, shows that the translation on the stamp is:<br /><br />The Eid stamp commemorates the two most important festivals—or eids—in the Islamic calendar: Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. On these days, Muslims wish each other "Eid mubarak," the phrase featured in Islamic calligraphy on the stamp. "Eid mubarak" translates literally as "blessed festival," and can be paraphrased as "May your religious holiday be blessed." This phrase can be applied to both Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha.<br /><br />Here is the link to it:<br /><br /> http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dy...s.com/news/2001/philatelic/sr01_054_print.htm

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Finally!! Thank you,Spratt. I wonder why they want to have us paraphrase "religious holiday".... I still aint lickin that thing. :rolleyes:

KaGee

Admiral

I don't know 12ft. But your supposed to tolerate it regardless. Even though we can't have the Ten Commandments, we can't have Nativity scenes, we can't have Christmas Carrolls, we can't have kettle collections, heck.... we are not even supposed to say "Christmas" anymore as all these things are "offensive". :mad:

NYMINUTE

Captain

7.gif
<br /> Why Can't We All Just Get A Long Neck

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> Finally!! Thank you,Spratt. I wonder why they want to have us paraphrase "religious holiday".... I still aint lickin that thing. :rolleyes:
When I read that first time, I wondered the same thing...the direct translation is blessed holiday, but we are supposed to ROUGHLY translate that to have a blessed RELIGIOUS holiday...to me, that would dictate that any holiday could be a RELIGIOUS holiday, such as Have a BLESSED 9/11 remembrance day :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The stamp was not made for you 12 footer, it was made for muslims.<br /><br />There are other relgious stamps that I am sure you wont lick either.<br /><br />The USPS is only halfway part of the US government. They now have to try to attract customers. They were trying to attract muslim customers by making this stamp. They also try to attract jewish customers with stamps, and christians with christians stamps.<br /><br />No big deal.<br /><br />There is a time and a place for every war, and this "stamp" is not one.<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Now, before someone starts saying that it seems I am waffling back and forth between agreeing with woodrat, and then being anti-raghead, let me say this: I think the stamp in itself is fine. Also, I fully support the effort spearheaded by our fine President, Mr. Bush, in destroying these masked and dangerous murderers who would even destroy their own people to get back at the US, and who care not anything about destroying their own country land for their murderous interests...I do NOT hate, nor even dislike, Muslims...I disagree wholeheartedly with their religion, for they do not accept Jesus as our God who was made flesh to dwell among us, and to be the only sacrifice to take away the sins of man...and even the cowardly Clerics will not condemn the murderous killers, who incidentally, are not ALL Muslims, but some are along for the joy of killing a fellow human...which leads me to wonder if Darwin was not almost correct to a point...maybe the ones involved in the terrorism acts over there is teh missing link that is still in teh process of evolution...and who knows what animal they will become...if we don't destroy them all first...maybe we can rid ourselves and the great country of Iraq of some of them before the 9-month gestatino period brings more ont eh scene...man, do I sound heartless, or what?????

woodrat

Ensign

Um...KaGee,<br /><br />As a former avid stamp collector, I assure you that you should have NO trouble in finding stamps that celebrate the Christian holidays.<br /><br />And last time I drove through the large-ish town nearest to me, christmas lights and life size nativity scenes were in abundance on lawns everywhere. I think that Christmas is safe, at least for this year...<br /><br />you guys are starting to sound an awful lot like the whiny liberals that you love to hate.

KennyKenCan

Commander

To all who think this stamp is ok, then...<br /><br />When an aircraft being piloted by crazed Muslum terrorists is flown into the building you are working in, and half of your collegues are killed or injured, maybe, just maybe, all of you will understand!<br /><br />This stamp is more than a slap in the face for me, and most people I know who where there on Sept. 11, 2001, it is a down-right insult!<br /><br />For those of you who support this stamp, I hope an aircraft flies into your building, and you survive, just so that you will be able to understand what we are all up against! (I don't really mean that, but it is the only way to get my point across!)<br /><br />Do you know what it feels like to have the floor you are walking on, blown out from under your feet?<br /><br />I DO!<br /><br />We, the United States of America is at WAR with these Muslims, and until the fighting is over, I personally have absolutly no respect for these people, and wish to see them destroyed! Each and every one of them!<br /><br />Either destroy these Muslim enemies, or they will destroy us!<br /><br />With the issuance of this stamp, I see it as the U.S. conceding that the Muslums ARE winning this War on Terror!<br /><br />We are being defeted by our very own government with the issuance of this stamp!!<br /><br />All in the name of being "politically correct", and to soothe the lameass librals, due to their overwhelming defeat in the past elections!<br /><br />I don't care about the Muslums rights, remember...<br /><br />THEY ATTACKED US FIRST!<br /><br />And, the rights that are afforded to citizens of the United States, DOES NOT cover anyone who is NOT a citizen, so why are we trying to justify their actions, using our Bill of Rights, which does not pertain to these enemies?<br /><br />If I sound bitter and vengeful, after what these people did to us, and more particularly, me... <br /><br />I AM!

spratt

Lieutenant

IF I were in a building or any other circumstance such as that, and I lived through it, I believe the first thing I would do is to give dde-felt hearty thanks and glory to a God who loved you enough to protect you, and wonder if I had some really special purpose in life. Maybe that is what you did...<br /><br />For the record, and I did'nt take your post personally, Kenny, but want to make sure I am understood...I am NOT a Liberal or a Left leaner...I consider myself totally Conservative, 100%...with that said:<br /><br />Remember that this stamp was printed and released BEFORE that icident EVER HAPPENED...noone in this lifetime ever knew or expected that we would wake on September 11, 2001 to such a horror as developed right on our screens wherever we were watching the footage, or in many, too many, cases right under our feet and in front of our eyes...<br /><br />In any case, I cannot understand why a STAMP, of all things, can create such a fervor, militant even, among people who profess to (in a lot of cases) know, love, and serve a God of mercy and love, who forgave even those who took HIS LIFE???

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> Um...KaGee,<br /><br />As a former avid stamp collector, I assure you that you should have NO trouble in finding stamps that celebrate the Christian holidays.<br /><br />And last time I drove through the large-ish town nearest to me, christmas lights and life size nativity scenes were in abundance on lawns everywhere. I think that Christmas is safe, at least for this year...<br /><br />you guys are starting to sound an awful lot like the whiny liberals that you love to hate.
Town prohibiting Nativity scene sued<br />Florida city allows menorahs, stars of David to be displayed<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted: December 3, 2004<br />1:00 a.m. Eastern<br /><br /><br />© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com <br /><br />A town in Florida has been sued for barring a privately funded Nativity scene from being displayed on public property while allowing religious Jewish symbols throughout the city. <br /><br />The Thomas More Law Center announced yesterday it has filed a suit against Bay Harbor Islands, Fla. According to a statement from the group, the town has adorned its lampposts with Jewish menorahs and stars of David to commemorate Hanukkah and has allowed a synagogue to display its 14-foot Menorah in the most prominent public location at the entrance of the city.
Yea, you are right... :rolleyes:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Kenny, it's not clear from your post, but I hope you're not advocating domestic violence against American Muslims, native-born or immigrants. Or any middle-easterners for that matter, since you can't tell a person's religious preference from appearances alone. It's kind of depressing.<br /><br />Citizens of predominately Islamic nations who profess a hatred of "Christians" or "Americans" do so because their governments, as part of their strategy to retain power, have convinced them through decades of propaganda that we intend to wipe them from the face of the Earth. Is that really what you want? It's called genocide. Adolph Hitler did it. Saddam Hussain did it. Other leaders have done it. We (Americans) usually consider it "evil." <br /><br />very depressing.

woodrat

Ensign

Actually, it looks like wiping every muslim from the face of the earth is exactly what KKC is advocating in his most recent post. And from the sounds of it, he would like any of us who use the EID stamp to suffer a similar fate.<br /><br />Which pretty much makes me want to go out and buy several books of them and send them everywhere. Heck, I might even start mailing out christmas cards just so I have something to put that stamp on!<br /><br />Like Johnson-liner said, its nice that these wacko sentiments aren't being censored, so we can all see exactly what is going on. I don't really care if KKC or any one else wants to rationalize their hatred and genocidal desires by saying "they attacked us first". its still prejudice, hatred and revenge. I don't recall Christ having made a stand in favor of those attributes, but I might have missed something in my reading of His Word.<br /><br />you couldn't have offered up a better example of intolerance and hatred if you tried, KKC.<br /><br />To KaGee;<br /><br />Sorry about the town in FL. It wasn't me! I find PC hypersensitivities and overreactions and offendedness just as depressing and irrelevant as the right wing equivalent.<br /><br />personally, this case looks like a perfect example of why the government(s) should stay out of the religion biz. Just have a clear policy that NO religious symbols will be displayed using public funds or property. There are plenty of private venues for that kind of thing, and then there wouldn't be this divisive crap about one group's symbols being displayed when the other one's are not, or having all the different religious groups demanding equal access to the public sphere. Give them all the same equal access: zero. This certainly wouldn't be the end of the nativity scene or the star of david being on display. They would just be on display on PRIVATE property, or churches, where they belong. The idea that government property should not be used to display anyone's religious symbols seems pretty obvious to me.