Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Hello again coolguy. A transom pad is just a small piece of sealed wood some folks put on the outside of the transom, right where the motor mounts to offer a bit of protection and/or to make up some thickness when needed. You don't have to make one, if you don't want to. As for installing the transom itself, you essentially just bolt in place with stainless steel hardware. It's an old boat, so nothing is going to be perfectly straight. Your best bet is to bolt the transom in place in a very regular pattern so as to best distribute the force. Using med-large SS fender washers will help distribute the load evenly more evenly as well. You'll also want to put some 3M 5200 marine caulk on the hardware just before you install it. As you tighten the bolts up, it should ooze out around the fitting. It's great stuff, but it's pretty gloopy so have some rags ready. You can clean up and excess with a bit of acetone. You'll also want to tie the wood to either side of the boat as well. There should be some factory braces in place, but it not a few small pieces of aluminum angle will serve. Here's a little sketch.

transom.jpg

Willyclay

Captain

Your boat's transom knees should be through-bolted to the transom and I'm guessing the splashwell also if it is anything like mine.

Willyclay

Captain

Coolguy147, I was looking through Tashasdaddy's old threads and saw where he wished you a happy birthday on 09OCT09. If he was still living, I'm certain he would have been the first to say it this year. In his absence, "Happy Birthday"!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree ^^^^
Animation1-4cae02e57aff4cebacf027ba30b44f85.gif

coolguy147

Commander

Thanks you guys! no progress on the boat lately but I do have some pictures. I've been really sick the past few days (I blame it on school...last week was heck.) IMG_4945 (640x480).jpgIMG_4946 (640x480).jpgIMG_4947 (640x480).jpg

Willyclay

Captain

Sorry to hear you have been sick. Thanks for the pix. Looks like a 20inch transom to me. Let's make it pretty and clamp that 60HP motor on it. Have you tried reversing the plywood core to see if the gap between the outside aluminum skin is reduced or eliminated?

mark1961

Ensign

Hello again coolguy. A transom pad is just a small piece of sealed wood some folks put on the outside of the transom, right where the motor mounts to offer a bit of protection and/or to make up some thickness when needed. You don't have to make one, if you don't want to.

The majority of manufacturers install them also, probably for similar reasons and particularly when the transom skin is light gauge.....they can be quite large also depending on the requirement. Plywood was once the material of choice, aluminium plate or polypropylene are far more common these days. Installing one would help unite the transom skin with the core if the seperation is due to distortion.....pics in post #2 and #126 of this thread indicate that a small transom pad has been used previously.

coolguy147

Commander

The majority of manufacturers install them also, probably for similar reasons and particularly when the transom skin is light gauge.....they can be quite large also depending on the requirement. Plywood was once the material of choice, aluminium plate or polypropylene are far more common these days. Installing one would help unite the transom skin with the core if the seperation is due to distortion.....pics in post #2 and #126 of this thread indicate that a small transom pad has been used previously.

Yea, the previous owner had a rubber one on there...it wasn't wood. I don't quite understand the use? If you bolt the motor up all the way there won't be any gaps?

BTW, the plywood was just laying in there to you guys an idea.

coolguy147

Commander

Ill see if ones needed after I bolt the transom wood in. The transom was perfect before I took it apart lol.

coolguy147

Commander

Ugh, I'm in the middle of writing my 4000 word essay due Wednesday lol....life sucks.

Anyways, I tried to fit the wood in last week but I had some great difficulty....From the looks of it, the wood is just wayyy too thick and causing knee braces to not fit firmly against the bottom of the boat. Ill get some pictures in the next weekend or two but I have no idea what to do. I'm not sure whether it's because of the fiberglass resin adding thickness to the wood or I did such a poor job in gluing the wood together it is thicker than normal in the middle. Probably a combination both. The construction poly stuff dries too quickly and is too tacky...should've used titabond or elmers, or something.

IDK what to do D:....

I tried hammer the knee brace down but it just scraped into the wood. I might have to buy a new sheet, cut it and glue it as soon as I buy it so there won't be a warp from sitting and drying.

Willyclay

Captain

From the looks of it, the wood is just wayyy too thick and causing knee braces to not fit firmly against the bottom of the boat.

Good luck on the essay! Thanks for the update on your project. Before you buy new wood and throw away what you have already done, could you cut/chisel/route channels for the knee braces? You might have recoat any cuts with poly but that's not a big deal or expense.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

+1 what Willy said...;)

BTW, nice progress, nonetheless...

coolguy147

Commander

Good luck on the essay! Thanks for the update on your project. Before you buy new wood and throw away what you have already done, could you cut/chisel/route channels for the knee braces? You might have recoat any cuts with poly but that's not a big deal or expense.

The thing is though is I still have to get the metal place between the knee brace and wood....

Willyclay

Captain

The thing is though is I still have to get the metal place between the knee brace and wood....

Sorry Coolguy but my old geezer brain is not processing this statement. Need pix or drawing please!

coolguy147

Commander

Sorry Coolguy but my old geezer brain is not processing this statement. Need pix or drawing please!

Sorry! I meant metal plate. Between the two knee braces and the wood needs to be a metal plate. In addition to the knee braces not lining up, the transom splash well holes arn't lining either....ugh.

Willyclay

Captain

Sorry! I meant metal plate. Between the two knee braces and the wood needs to be a metal plate.

Gotcha! I see what appears to be an "inner skin" in the last picture in post #2. Since I am the Master of the Obvious, if you want it to be like the original design, your new plywood core will have to be exactly the same thickness for everything to fit correctly and allow the fasteners to be installed. You have already gotten away from the OEM design by making it a 20inch high transom and I would question the need for the inner skin. However, I did not see any pictures that tell me if the inner skin is part of the splashwell. Can you show us a picture of what's going on there?

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Gotcha! I see what appears to be an "inner skin" in the last picture in post #2. Since I am the Master of the Obvious, if you want it to be like the original design, your new plywood core will have to be exactly the same thickness for everything to fit correctly and allow the fasteners to be installed. You have already gotten away from the OEM design by making it a 20inch high transom and I would question the need for the inner skin. However, I did not see any pictures that tell me if the inner skin is part of the splashwell. Can you show us a picture of what's going on there?

I can't get a picture now but maybe next weekend. School things are starting to go back to normal :D (still time-consuming).

Ok it goes Hull-wood-plate-splash well/knee brace.

The splash well attaches through the wood and side of the boat. the holes on the side of the boat are misaligned.

I think it's going to be a new piece of wood because I believe the poly stuff is causing it to space in weird spots and the middle is odd....

Willyclay

Captain

I think it's going to be a new piece of wood because I believe the poly stuff is causing it to space in weird spots and the middle is odd....

Don't worry about posting a picture. Your schedule is full and your description of the "plate" has answered my questions. Regarding the plywood transom core, only you know what your expectations are for the finished project. If you do not believe the first new core will allow you to achieve the results desired, then it does sound like another attempt is necessary. If that is your decision, I would encourage you to try to find the seven-ply Arauco for maximum strength and use one of the other recommended glues instead of PL. You have learned a lot in the process so just hang in there and I know you can get this done the way you want it.

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

I honestly don't know where I can find Arauco wood....

I might just use screws this time?