Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Us old folks get confused easily but when I look at your picture of the removed old transom core in post #27, I cannot understand why you think filling in the cutout area in the center will prevent the installation of the new transom core. IMHO if the old one came out as one piece, the new one should go in as one piece. What am I missing?

It's a little bit hard to understand. Let me explain again. Ok, so the old transom core on the ends went up into the gunwales and was covered by the gunwale caps. The cutout on the old core would allow the upper ends to go up in the gunwales. Now that I just cut it straight across at the top it can go up in the gunwales because it doesn't have that cutout anymore.

Ill have to get a picture of what i'm talking about.

Willyclay

Captain

The cutout on the old core would allow the upper ends to go up in the gunwales. Now that I just cut it straight across at the top it can go up in the gunwales because it doesn't have that cutout anymore.

Okay, I went back and looked at your pictures AND the 90 Yammy boat again so I think I understand. Don't waste your time and energy on me. Looks like you just need to lower the center area enough to clear the gunwales. Losing that inch or so should not bother your motor installation since it should have adjustment holes designed into the transom brackets. Cut it to fit how you want it.

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4916 (640x480).jpgIMG_4917 (640x480).jpgIMG_4918 (640x480).jpg

Looking back at it and I can say that it's fine. What was in reality vs my head was totally off. The old core didn't go up their either. The wood is cut fine :D

Willyclay

Captain

Great work! I always love it when I think I am wrong but it turns out to be right. Good luck with next step.

coolguy147

Commander

Could I use a car or maybe atv to press down on the board?

Willyclay

Captain

(huge bricks...)

Yes but the bricks will let you distribute the load more evenly than a vehicle tire will. You can also use cans of paint or anything else small enough to fit on the plywood and that has some weight.

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Yes but the bricks will let you distribute the load more evenly than a vehicle tire will. You can also use cans of paint or anything else small enough to fit on the plywood and that has some weight.

I don't think the paint cans will do much in weight but ill put anything i can on there.

I have these very heavy concrete blocks. They're like cinder blocks except they are one whole unit of cement. Super heavy...too heavy if you ask me.

coolguy147

Commander

OMG, I'm so pissed at myself and mad about everything now. The 10oz of glue wasn't enough, I should have used a putty knife or something to spread it around. The bricks I have weren't even nearly close enough to keep the wood straight. I had to use screws and the screws my friend brought that he said were fine sucked! FLAT HEAD. The philips head ones striped like crazy. I used some dinky drywall screws. Now I have a gap in random spots that can allow a quarter to go through. I feel so stupid and just want to throw something. First, I should have gotten real 1 inch screws that weren't crap. Second, the poly stuff had little to no working time. Wouldn't compress well. I should've used the tightbond stuff. I had to rush and take the blocks off because they didn't work and wasted time. OMG ugh.......

I might be wrong about everything but I screwed up. I just want to buy a whole new sheet and restart.

coolguy147

Commander

there are about 20 screws in it around the outer edges.

coolguy147

Commander

OK, I feel a little better now that i cleaned and sorted everything out. The looks to be ok. I knocked the ends of the screws off that were going out the other side. I used 23 screws.

I figure ill mat the top of the transom wood and use whatever leftover for the sides.

I want to resin the wood tomorrow but i'm not sure how to effectively do both sides without waiting two hours for it to cure.

coolguy147

Commander

painted the inner transom skin and the inner transom cover plate with zinc chromate primer. It went on really well. Hopefully this will keep the corrosion off.

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4930 (480x640).jpgIMG_4931 (480x640).jpgIMG_4932 (480x640).jpgIMG_4933 (480x640).jpgIMG_4935 (640x480).jpg

Here you can see the zinc chromate primer on the aluminum that is in contact with the wood. Hopefully this will limit the corrosion from trapped water.

In the other pictures you can see the gap. The wood is very sturdy and you can fit a quarter in the cracks.

coolguy147

Commander

Do you guys think I screwed up on putting the wood together?

I'm going to resin it next weekend sometime.

Willyclay

Captain

Do you think the gaps were caused by the wood being warped or the PL was too thick or not enough weight from the bricks or what?

coolguy147

Commander

Do you think the gaps were caused by the wood being warped or the PL was too thick or not enough weight from the bricks or what?

The wood was harder to compress because it was warped. The PL should have been spread around more and I think I should've gotten more than 10 oz. The bricks were barely enough weigh. The screwed did the best but by the time I got the bricks off and the found the screws the PL was kinda too think and the screws weren't the best but they helped....

Willyclay

Captain

The wood was harder to compress because it was warped.

Is it flat enough now to be used as the transom core? If so, then I believe you can fill the gaps before you tape the edges? If not reasonably flat, then sounds like a "do-over"!