Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

IMG_4913 (640x480).jpg

I tried to find zinc chromate but couldn't. is the self-etching primer zinc chromate?

coolguy147

Commander

Willyclay

Captain

Is it necessary?

No, the self-etching primer will do the same thing without all those heavy metals some people are worried about. Or, you can do nothing and see what it looks like in another 50 years! My turn to LOL.

coolguy147

Commander

Did i get the right stuff? Fiberglass resin? Is that epoxy or am i on the totally wrong path lol........

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Or, you can do nothing and see what it looks like in another 50 years! My turn to LOL.

Coolguy will probably actually still be around for another 50 years......maybe with the same boat!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Did i get the right stuff? Fiberglass resin? Is that epoxy or am i on the totally wrong path lol........

Two kinds: either epoxy or polyester resin. Either will work for what you are doing, but don't mix them. Once you start with one type, continue with it.

Willyclay

Captain

Coolguy will probably actually still be around for another 50 years......maybe with the same boat!

Yeah, I know he's a young guy! Tashasdaddy made a big deal of trying to help Coolguy since he wanted to learn this stuff.

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Two kinds: either epoxy or polyester resin. Either will work for what you are doing, but don't mix them. Once you start with one type, continue with it.

I'm guessing I have polyester resin?

coolguy147

Commander

Picked up 5200 Fast cure. Not sure if the regular and fast have any difference other than the difference in a 6 day cure period lol.

coolguy147

Commander

Returned the stuff from napa and picked up some Zinc Chromate from Moeller at West Marine. West Marine marks some of their stuff up by at least 150%. I saw an impeller for what looked to be an outdrive for $75.

I know all wood warps but if i let it lean on something will it warp even worse?

Willyclay

Captain

I know all wood warps but if i let it lean on something will it warp even worse?

Yes, leaning that sheet of plywood up against something will not be good for it. Lay it down flat on some (3 or 4) 2X4's out of the rain!

coolguy147

Commander

Yes, leaning that sheet of plywood up against something will not be good for it. Lay it down flat on some (3 or 4) 2X4's out of the rain!

Good idea! It's in the garage.

Ill go lay them down later today. 1 day won't hurt?

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4914 (640x480).jpg

I cut the wood today. I'm hoping the wood will kinda straighten itself out with some weight on top of it. It's probably not enough weight but ill be working on it next week.

My plan is to put the glue on the wood, put SS screws in to press the wood into itself and then put anything I can find on top of it (huge bricks...)

i think ill use some SS screws that are a wee bit too long and then knock the ends off with a hammer. good?

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the purpose of the glue? Just to hold the wood together? I mean couldn't I do that with screws?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the purpose of the glue? Just to hold the wood together? I mean couldn't I do that with screws?

The glue creates one solid mass out of two pieces and spreads all the forces applied to it evenly...a bunch of screws can't do that and the more you put in the more holes you have to seal up so water can't get into it and start the rot...

It is actually best if you can clamp the pieces together without using any screws, but for that you need "Wog Clamps"...
check "woodonglass" sig for the design...

Also, make sure the glue you use is waterproof...PL Premium {takes a long time to dry}, Titebond III or Gorilla Glue {ready overnight}

coolguy147

Commander

The glue creates one solid mass out of two pieces and spreads all the forces applied to it evenly...a bunch of screws can't do that and the more you put in the more holes you have to seal up so water can't get into it and start the rot...

It is actually best if you can clamp the pieces together without using any screws, but for that you need "Wog Clamps"...
check "woodonglass" sig for the design...

Also, make sure the glue you use is waterproof...PL Premium {takes a long time to dry}, Titebond III or Gorilla Glue {ready overnight}

I've seen woodonglass idea of holding the wood together.

I think I may have cut the wood wrong.....Well, after sleeping I woke up thinking about whether the ends go in the cap. With the short shaft design the wood goes into the gunwales and I don't think it's going in now. Ill have to check that out.....The pieces did go in there nicely though

Willyclay

Captain

I think I may have cut the wood wrong.....Well, after sleeping I woke up thinking about whether the ends go in the cap. With the short shaft design the wood goes into the gunwales and I don't think it's going in now. Ill have to check that out.....The pieces did go in there nicely though

Us old folks get confused easily but when I look at your picture of the removed old transom core in post #27, I cannot understand why you think filling in the cutout area in the center will prevent the installation of the new transom core. IMHO if the old one came out as one piece, the new one should go in as one piece. What am I missing?