Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

How should i seal the angle braces that go to the bottom of the boat 5200? It's kinda weird but the 5200 i used on my new bolts didn't seem to hold the bolt in that well?

5200 is intended for "permanent" installations and is difficult to remove if you ever want to do anything over. 4200 is considered "semi-permanent" and much easier to remove. You will have to decide which one to use.

I am unclear what you mean are "angle braces that go to the bottom of the boat". Are you describing transom knees (triangular braces) that connect the transom and the bottom? If not, we need a better description or, better yet, close-up pictures!

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

What do you mean about installing a horizontal aluminum angle? I do have an aluminum bar that i'm using for the top of the transom to reinforce it that i took off another boat.

I am trying to describe a method of adding structural support to the transom inside the boat so the new plywood does not have to absorb all the stress and strain from the new motor. While you have it apart, it would be a perfect time to beef it up a little.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

What's fiberglass tape?

Fiberglass cloth cut in narrow strips. See the link below. If you already have some fiberglass cloth, you can cut the strips yourself. Or not and just mix up some of forum member Woodonglass' "peanut butter" and seal those edges.

Read some threads about repairing a rotten transom core and it will all become much clearer to you. Good luck!

http://www.shopmaninc.com/cloth.html#tapes

coolguy147

Commander

I am trying to describe a method of adding structural support to the transom inside the boat so the new plywood does not have to absord all the stress and strain from the new motor. While you have it apart, it would be a perfect time to beef it up a little.

I don't understand your method of adding strength.

OK so after rereading this like 20 times i think i understand what you mean. The support you are suggesting is similar to the triangle braces at the bottom of the boat but not you want me to have them connected to the gunwales?

coolguy147

Commander

5200 is intended for "permanent" installations and is difficult to remove if you ever want to do anything over. 4200 is considered "semi-permanent" and much easier to remove. You will have to decide which one to use.

I am unclear what you mean are "angle braces that go to the bottom of the boat". Are you describing transom knees (triangular braces) that connect the transom and the bottom? If not, we need a better decription or, better yet, close-up pictures!

I used 5200 on my mounting bolts for the old motor and they were no where near permanent lol.

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4904 (640x480).jpgIMG_4905 (640x480).jpgIMG_4906 (640x480).jpgIMG_4907 (640x480).jpgIMG_4908 (640x480).jpg

Some shots at the windshield. It's still in good condition.

Shot of the transom with nothing in it. You can kinda see where the knee braces were. The old piece of wood is in excellent condition.

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4909 (640x480).jpgIMG_4910 (640x480).jpg

The old transom caps. And another shot at the transom. Has quite a bit of corrosion dust. My guess is water being trapped or something.

coolguy147

Commander

What am i going to do with some holes in the aluminum after i put the new wood in? Some of them are not going to be reused.

coolguy147

Commander

after everything was said and done i'm thinking about adding some triangular braces to the top for reinforcement. I think this transom has been well designed and should be handle the 60 hp just fine.

The boat brand new came with a 60 hp V4 gale engine. According to the original owner. lol.

Willyclay

Captain

What am i going to do with some holes in the aluminum after i put the new wood in? Some of them are not going to be reused.

Fill them with something like JB Weld or Marine Tex grey epoxy.

Willyclay

Captain

Has quite a bit of corrosion dust. My guess is water being trapped or something.

I think you are right on target and I suspect it leaked down from somewhere around the transom cap. That same problem is what did in my 1965 LoneStar and sent it to the recycler. My suggestion is to fabricate two pieces of sheet aluminum (one inside and one outside) with a ninety degree bend in each to form a new cap for your transom. Once installed, your efforts to seal out the water will only be at the side joints where it butts up against the hull cap.

Willyclay

Captain

I don't understand your method of adding strength.

OK so after rereading this like 20 times i think i understand what you mean. The support you are suggesting is similar to the triangle braces at the bottom of the boat but not you want me to have them connected to the gunwales?

If I comment any further on this I am afraid I will confuse you even more. You have already indicated you plan to stick with the original design and I think that is a good plan. The original plywood core looks great and will make an excellent templete. Don't throw it away because you may want to revert back to the original transom height some time in the future!

coolguy147

Commander

IMG_4911 (640x480).jpg

Shot of the aluminum bar that i'm going to use for the top of the transom.

coolguy147

Commander

How do i properly drill the holes in the new wood so it's aligned with holes in the brackets etc. I noticed that in the braces the holes are double drilled from somebody.

coolguy147

Commander

Any ideas on cleaning the oxidation from the aluminum? Pressure washer?

Willyclay

Captain

How do i properly drill the holes in the new wood so it's aligned with holes in the brackets etc.

You can spend your money on a jig like the one at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Stanley...e-Maker-Jig-Bits-NOS-Carpenters-/260864939701

or, you can make your own with a piece of 3/4inch oak stock or small piece of steel by drilling vertical holes of the size needed with a drill press and then use that as your jig with a hand-held drill.

or, you can use a "speed square" with your Mark One eyeball and get pretty darn close. Close enough for government work!

Willyclay

Captain

Any ideas on cleaning the oxidation from the aluminum? Pressure washer?

I used a pressure washer and it cleaned okay but was slow. However, as soon as you clean aluminum, it starts oxidizing again unless coated with something. You need to tap into the forum members who belong to the Starmada and find out their secrets for handling this particular "tinney problem". To bad Tashasdaddy is no longer around because I know he would help you!

EDIT: Link to Starcraft restorations - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=494143

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

I know Tashasdaddy was one of the first people to help me. Him and Chinewalker lol.

Willyclay

Captain

Yeah, TD was very helpful to me when I first came onboard the forum and I miss him a lot. I was able to return the favor and help him with one of his many project boats & motors. May he RIP!