Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

Looking good there mike !!! John

ps just to give you a boost , I just spent the last 8 days camping and used mine every day !!! man what FUN !! lol ok I guess it was rubbing it IN !! LOL john

redfury

Commander

So, am I right in saying that you used the PVC to push the straight wood into the curved position? I really have no idea why the factory would have been curved like that.

I too have been having a really hard time trying to cut all my wood to the same correct height. A lot of it was luck and finding the one stringer that was right then popping a chalk line. My method is WAY to convoluted and bizarre for me to tell you. You would be better to find someone elses thread that makes sense. Please post it when you find it though. I would like to read it.

Hey now, you can't go teasing me like that! If I find an easy way to find a flat floor, I'll be sure to post it here.

One thing that comes to mind though, I could probably get where it needs to be by running a chalk line from where the front of the stringer tapers off to a point, to a line chalked across the transom where the floor goes across....I think that's probably going to be the easiest way to get it done.

If that does turn out to be the best way to do it ( seems like it now that I've thought of it! :p ), I'll be sure to post a picture tutorial in my thread.

redfury

Commander

Looking good there mike !!! John

ps just to give you a boost , I just spent the last 8 days camping and used mine every day !!! man what FUN !! lol ok I guess it was rubbing it IN !! LOL john

And I'll bet you forgot to take pictures again too! :p Where's the video man!

How's the paint holding up to the loading and unloading? I'm just glad that I'm at this point in the project! It's so awesome getting here. If I can just get the stringers ready for the floor, I might just get a floor in this boat before fall! That would completely make my year! I get the floor in, and get the cap reinstalled? MAJOR milestone.

Question for you though, when you fit your cap back on, did you have issues getting it back on? Whenever I fit my cap back on, those flimsy sides are just a real pain in the arse to get under the cap. I may have to either devise some plan to pull them in with a belt or enlist a few friends to push in on the sides to get the cap on...

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey now, you can't go teasing me like that! If I find an easy way to find a flat floor, I'll be sure to post it here.

One thing that comes to mind though, I could probably get where it needs to be by running a chalk line from where the front of the stringer tapers off to a point, to a line chalked across the transom where the floor goes across....I think that's probably going to be the easiest way to get it done.

If that does turn out to be the best way to do it ( seems like it now that I've thought of it! :p ), I'll be sure to post a picture tutorial in my thread.

Good, better you than me. I would confuse anyone that read it if I posted my way:eek: But whatever gets it done... The reason I left the rim of glass where my deck used to be is for this very reason. I just used a 1/2" block of wood and added 1/8"(thickness of deck with glass) to make a mark on the hull at the front of the stringer and at the transom. Then I pulled a chalk line and that gave me my height. Its the perpendicular pieces that are too crazy to explain.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

cutting my stringers was kinda easy, unlike most from what I've read, I knew that my starting point would work with a 2x6, and I measured every 1/2" until I reached from bow to start of blige and transcribed that to the 2x6 and then cut with a jig saw, and it worked out amazingly.

redfury

Commander

I was going to go that route also, I've got a piece of tapered wood that ends in the thickness of the flooring I'm going to use, and I would lay the fat end against the stringer and mark the bottom of it, but when you get towards the front of the hull, then the problems begin. I dunno, I'm going to chalk line it also and see where I get with it. When I find a solution that works the best, I'll be sure to post up a small tutorial...no one ever actually shows how they build their stringers! Scribing them....easy! making them so you will have a level floor...not so easy!.

jcsercsa

Captain

And I'll bet you forgot to take pictures again too! :p Where's the video man!

How's the paint holding up to the loading and unloading? I'm just glad that I'm at this point in the project! It's so awesome getting here. If I can just get the stringers ready for the floor, I might just get a floor in this boat before fall! That would completely make my year! I get the floor in, and get the cap reinstalled? MAJOR milestone.

Question for you though, when you fit your cap back on, did you have issues getting it back on? Whenever I fit my cap back on, those flimsy sides are just a real pain in the arse to get under the cap. I may have to either devise some plan to pull them in with a belt or enlist a few friends to push in on the sides to get the cap on...

HAHAHA YEA Mke there is video and pics !!!! lol now just got to get the wife to get them to mee !! John

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Scribing them....easy! making them so you will have a level floor...not so easy!.

Scribing them is how you get a level floor. If you hang them from strings you can use a level on them to make sure they are hanging at the correct angle, then the scribe will automatically fit them to the hull so the tops are perfect for the deck. Just be sure to have a level boat before you begin or your deck will be equally off.

Honestly, scribing them was one of the easier parts of the stringers. Deciding on a height I found the most difficult (I removed all traces of the original deck line.. way bad move).

If you are confused on a certain aspect of the scribing process, let me know and I'll get into more detail on the steps so you can be confident you are doing it correctly. After all, even mid-grade plywood isn't cheap if you have to redo cuts 2-3 times.

redfury

Commander

Well, so much for me doing a tutorial. HOWEVER, I will detail the process I used. All in all, I was quite happy with the end result. What I did was made sure the stringers were set well into the boat and braced properly. Then I simply took a chalk line and hooked the front of the stringer where I wanted the floor, and then to the back where I had marked a line where I wanted the floor. SNAP! Chalk line! I did the other side, and then compared the two. Almost spot on on each side, and some of the marks I had made previously with a different method were crossed by the chalk line, so I was confident enough to make the cut.

What I did to cut them was to take my router and set a 1/4 inch shaping bit 3/4ths the way through the wood. Then I screwed the wood to my table, and put my spare 12ft piece of wood 2 1/2 inches ( verified by placing the router at various spots along the line ) away from my cut line and screwed that down as a guide for the router. Zipped my first cut, then set the depth to cut through....did a nice job of giving my a nice straight line, and then I routed a 1/4 inch rounded edge on the top so I can glass it with a nice radius.

So, in summary, I made a rig to suspend my stringers from my hull above where they were going to be placed, and then scribed the shape of the hull onto them. Cut, dry fit and then chalk lined from front to back to find my height and cut with a router, then rounded the edges for glassing. Easier done than said when it was all finished. I freaked a bit because I couldn't envision what I was going to to, but as usual, a good day of thinking it through gave me a solution that worked well.
100_2084.jpg
100_2082.jpg

redfury

Commander

Oh, I almost forgot....it rained like crazy for about 15 minutes last night on my stringers! Bad thing is, they got wet....good thing is, it helped shape the curve a bit! :D

redfury

Commander

Picked up 8 yards of CSM and another gallon of polyester resin and a quart of cabosil today. I can handle the prices spaced out like this....$70 odd bucks per trip is easy enough on the wallet that the wife doesn't complain too much :p

redfury

Commander

Second set of PL applied to glue the two stringers in. Once that's set, I can make the radius for the fiberglass and start kicking some resin!

I made a bit of a mess with the glue moving the stringers into place, but going after the PL the next day with the relatively mild days we are having allowed me to scrape the excess off easily. Now I just have to give the glue a chance to harden a bit and I'll have two stringers in my boat in no time! :)

redfury

Commander

100_2088.jpg
100_2091.jpg
100_2089.jpg

Well, got the corners done. I'm going to do some more grinding on the hull now that the two stringers are bedded and the corners are radius'd. I want to make sure that the fiberglass bonds well. I'm tempted to put a layer of mat over them first, and then run the biax up the sides. I'm not sure yet. I've got 2 gallons of polyester resin, so I know I won't run out anytime soon, and I've got lots of CSM and 1708 to work with. Fortunately, the weather here has only been humid with light rain, and my tarp has held up with the ladder in the middle of the boat and tied down to the trailer.

I was looking at sheets of plywood today and our Menards has Baltic Birch. It's 9 plies to a half inch sheet...very sturdy! I was planning on a half inch deck with plenty of glass over it anyway, but this Baltic Birch looks promising verses the Aracao Ply they have...I saw some voids in the Aracao stuff, and the Baltic is SOLID. Granted, it's $32/ 4x8 sheet, but for the extra strength I'd get from a 9 layer ply verses a 5 layer ply, I'm intensely interested in going that route. Of course, I have to make sure I don't cut the ply wrong if I do get it...measure 8 times, measure again, and then cut after measuring one more time...better measure that again... :D

I'm going to use pink foam insulation panels to make my deck cut out instead of cardboard since this seems to be a better template....either that, or I will use sheets of luan....we'll figure that out when we get to that stage. If I keep going at the rate I'm going, I'll have my final stringer installed in the boat by next weekend...weather and my job permitting! After that, it's all deck!

However, one thing that needs to be addressed is adding knees to the transom for added strength. I can use up a little bit of splashwell space without sacrificing that area for battery space since I'm moving them under the back corners anyway....

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

.....Of course, I have to make sure I don't cut the ply wrong if I do get it...measure 8 times, measure again, and then cut after measuring one more time...better measure that again... :D....

LOL RF, I hear ya there... I cut a piece too short once so I cut it again and it was still too short go figure ;)

Looking good, can ya feel the sea spraying you yet :D won't be long now.

redfury

Commander

If I can get my lazy butt up early enough tomorrow, I'm putting the glass on the stringers. I have two lengths of biax cut to length, need to cut two more and then some minor trimming. I'm hoping very much so to have new pictures up by tomorrow afternoon of glassed in stringers. I'm going to try to remember to bring my camera out.

chrishayes

Hey Red, this is the exact way that I did mine but it just didnt make sense when I tried to explain it to myself. And when you confuse yourself you better keep your mouth shut!

chrishayes

Well, so much for me doing a tutorial. HOWEVER, I will detail the process I used. All in all, I was quite happy with the end result. What I did was made sure the stringers were set well into the boat and braced properly. Then I simply took a chalk line and hooked the front of the stringer where I wanted the floor, and then to the back where I had marked a line where I wanted the floor. SNAP! Chalk line! I did the other side, and then compared the two. Almost spot on on each side, and some of the marks I had made previously with a different method were crossed by the chalk line, so I was confident enough to make the cut.

What I did to cut them was to take my router and set a 1/4 inch shaping bit 3/4ths the way through the wood. Then I screwed the wood to my table, and put my spare 12ft piece of wood 2 1/2 inches ( verified by placing the router at various spots along the line ) away from my cut line and screwed that down as a guide for the router. Zipped my first cut, then set the depth to cut through....did a nice job of giving my a nice straight line, and then I routed a 1/4 inch rounded edge on the top so I can glass it with a nice radius.

So, in summary, I made a rig to suspend my stringers from my hull above where they were going to be placed, and then scribed the shape of the hull onto them. Cut, dry fit and then chalk lined from front to back to find my height and cut with a router, then rounded the edges for glassing. Easier done than said when it was all finished. I freaked a bit because I couldn't envision what I was going to to, but as usual, a good day of thinking it through gave me a solution that worked well.
100_2084.jpg
100_2082.jpg

Dude, thats funny, we did it the exact same way and described it equally as uh...bad! If you look at one of my pics of my outer stringer shaping sessions you will see the EXACT same board along the transom to make sure the deck would sit on the horizontal glass surface out at the chines(?) I just went an overkill step further and shaped mine to the V so that the top edge of the 2x would be at the bottom of my deck line. Now you see why there are so few tutorials out there. I knew instantly when I started that this would just be one of those things that you DO and show pretty pictures at the end:p Godd job!

chrishayes

see!

boat069.jpg

morestuff031.jpg

its off to the right of the photo. you can see I formed it to the hull shape to make the line across the transom that you can vaguely see in this photo as well. See the 2 black sharpie lines, that it the deck thickness mark. the lower mark would be my top of stringer line, and at the bow, I had left my original deck line so I just measured the 1/2" thickness and a little more for glass held my chalk line to each of those marks and presto! I told you it was easy but too convoluted.

redfury

Commander

Heh, well fortunately for me, I didn't have to find my stringer position. I'm going to try to do the tutorial part for the center stringer. Well, I gotta go eat something and get my rear end out there and start glassing before it gets too hot!

chrishayes

Heh, well fortunately for me, I didn't have to find my stringer position. I'm going to try to do the tutorial part for the center stringer. Well, I gotta go eat something and get my rear end out there and start glassing before it gets too hot!

I know the feeling, it is finally getting rediculously hot here as well.