'72 merc. hard to start when cold

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
I read a forum on the web were a fellow talked about his 1150 being hard to start the first time each time and he got a response from a man who said he had the same problem until he got a primer bulb from wal-mart and a one gall. tank and made a squirter system that sprayed fuel into the carb throat....anyone seen or know anything about this topic, i can't find that article again to save my life

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: '72 merc. hard to start when cold

The most common reason for a cold-blooded Merc is that the chokes are not closing fully. Check all linkages between the choke solenoid and the choke butterflies to make sure they are fully closed when the choke button is pushed.

- Scott

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

thanks scott, what you just said about the choke plates was discussed in that forum. they went on to talk about how snug they-the choke plates- should be against the carb throat but, not to the point of sticking

timmathis

Lieutenant

Try pumping the bulb up to firm. Then give it 2 or 3 extra hard long pumps. This will let fuel overflow in the carbs and will help start most of the old inlines that are hard to start cold. You may or may not have to choke it then. Try both ways.
Also make sure the motor is tilted all the way back. so the fuel will run back in the carb not out the front. Don't worry, You cant hardly flood the old inlines
Let me know if it helps start it.
Tim

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it took me a year to learn how to properly start my inline..1150. I hold the choke untill it sputters..(most people will them let off the choke) Then keep holding the choke untill it starts to catch up....then Keep holding the choke untill it fires and idles (while holding the choke) then Tap the choke 1 time every 2 seconds untill the idle stabilizes.....(this is all with the Idle lever ALLLLLL the way up)
In a nutshell dont let off that choke....It used to take me somtimes 10 minutes to get her fired...I'd always think well maybe I floooded it ? Point is use the choke it fires and dont let off !
Joe.

emckelvy

Commander

Just remember, every time you think it's flooded, it's probably not!!!

Definitely got to keep that choke button depressed all the while it's cranking or it'll never start!

And the Pump-er-till-she-Drools method is a must for older Towers of Power!

A friend of mine got hold of the primer setup from a later Inline Merc (I imagine the solenoid-operated primer off of any late-model Johnrude would work as well). He tied the primer into the discharge side of the fuel pump, before the carbs. The primer supply line was hooked into the 'balance tube' lines on the intake manifold, with 'tee' fittings.

He says it works very well, as it squirts fuel directly into the crankcase. If you use this method you can totally remove the old choke mechanism, which should give you a bit more airflow to boot.

Cheers............ed

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

thanx for the response everyone! sounds like you need a dam.. ah-ah good battery

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use to use a group 27 1050 starting amps on my 71 1350. pump hell out of the bulb, hold choke turn over 3-4 time, then repump, hold choke and start, the play with choke until it settles down, mine would start fairly quickly, they are fuel hungry beast when cold.

roncopas

Cadet

My 1500 was hard to start until I tried the way timmathis suggest then crank it over 3 or 4 times and it would start right up then flip up the warm up lever for a min or so I don’t use the choke any more since this has been working 4 me

timmathis

Lieutenant

If you pump the bulb 2 or 3 extra hard slow times and make sure the motor is all the way back . You will find it can be very easy to start. And it will hardly put any drain on the battery.
You may want to try a dose of seafoam in the fuel supply or another good fuel system cleaner. That can also make it simpler to start as well.

If it don't start easy then you may need to pull and clean the carbs.
Good Luck, Tim

timmathis

Lieutenant

There has been many fires started by rigging extra tanks with a hose fixed to the front of the carbs that spray fuel in.
Think about it.
A backfire, carb fire etc. And that hose could be like a fuse to a bomb.
So be careful if you take any advice to do so...
I and many of the inline mechanics and owners here at iboats have not had any problem with the fuel pumps from the Pump-her-til-she drools-method.
If that was true you would see many posts telling you not to do so rather than telling you to.
If you wish to use a external spray. I would use a spray bottle of some type that is-not fixed to the carbs in any way. Just to be safe.
Good luck ,Tim

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Agree with TIm. You can not be to safe, it's just not worth it.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Heres what i think! I wanted to see this article again to thoroughly digest what was being done here and why. I started this particular thread because my own ignorance of what it really takes to start this motor. I have tinkered w/ many-many tyoes of motors and turn a pretty good wrench. I agree w/ tim and chief! They didn't start it that way in the show room and furthermore , goldbear you state the fuel is no longer present... the fumes have not gone anywhere. There's something else going on if it won't start PROPERLY!!

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Whoops! poor choice of words on the showroom statement but, my point being, that wasn't required to start it when it was new. I to thought this to be quite risky after reading it the first time. Hell-of-rigging Gold Bear i'm sure it works great for you but, I gotta let that one go!!

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Prime bulb until hard>raise cold lever all the way up>press choke and start...works for me everytime.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

chief i'll tell ya! i messed my own self up because as i stated in another thread about installing a new internal wiring harness and stator, i tried to start it by cranking it for 4 or 5 seconds w/ the choke button pushed--maybe 7 or 8 attempts like this w/ idle lever all the way forward...learned from y'all thats not the correct position... i pulled the dist. cap and it had residual lube or oil i believe leaked down and into the dis. from the grease fittings on the dis. Where i messed myself up was attempting to remove the first plug wire...yeah the end came off still SCREWED into the cap.. so i have had to wait on a new wire end. Not the dumbest thing i've ever done but, i'm stuck on land for now

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

We all learn from our mistakes! Good luck!
And please call me Eric, not chief.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

eric, i apologize, i'm still learning. these logos with your replies must be your rank and file within iboats? is that correct?