Next Project

zach103

Commander
Re: Next Project

P1080508.jpg

P1080509.jpg

P1080510.jpg

now i might just leave the bow like it was before it was kinda like a nice footrest.. so either it goes to where the lines are now like you see. or just straight to where the arrows are pointing... what do you guys think. first option is probably easier and less expensve
P1080512.jpg

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like a great project. Sure you want to sell your granddad's boat?

zach103

Commander

alright.. got all the wood and resin for the deck and transom.. still debating on the bow what i wanna do with the deck...

as for the motor. just ordered the lower unit and prop lube... carbs are off and cleaned.. still reading up trying to find the water pump..

zach103

Commander

i need help laying out hte stringers.. their sizes and waht to do for the bilge

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

i need help laying out hte stringers.. their sizes and waht to do for the bilge

For stringer height cut the bottom (post and scribe works well) lay it in the boat to figure out the deck height then cut the top of stringers to height.

My boat is fairly similar,

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=249713&highlight=barracuda&page=3

pg 3 shows stingers post and scribe method.

pg 4 shows my bilge, i like the step down in the bilge area so water will be kept at the stern

Fuzzy

zach103

Commander

wow just solved all my questions.. thanks fuzzy

zach103

Commander

they just said 45 on friday 55 sat and 60 sunday... IM PUMPED!!!! deff going to get that transom and everything on there..

motor has to wait till monday .. is 45 warm enough to try the motor? i did everything jb told me too in the awakening the motor thread

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay when are you Heading this way , And i will head your way !!! HAHAH I will trade yea ????? I really hate working on the gel coat !!! I would much rather be doing the trans, and the stringers !!! LOL John

zach103

Commander

haha sanding sucks.. you can come over and help taking all the bottom paint off the larson too if you want... but gotta finish this boat first..

zach103

Commander

i quit.. this nigh just sucks! cut a hole in the hull cuz im a dumb*** and forgot the way the hull is shaped.. so i put it back and circled it for to remind myself..so i decided to try and make a template for the transom.. no where near the right shape or size.. so went to the bow again f'ed up.. so i quit..

anyone got any tips on the templates.. it was easy when i did it on the larson. but i guess maybe im just overthinking this. guess ill figure somthing out

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

they just said 45 on friday 55 sat and 60 sunday... IM PUMPED!!!! deff going to get that transom and everything on there..

motor has to wait till monday .. is 45 warm enough to try the motor? i did everything jb told me too in the awakening the motor thread

This has me excited to get the other carb off, try and tackle my manifold, and possibly the heat exchangers! I can't wait for some tee shirt weather!

Zach, did you happen to tow the boat to a house on Orchard Rd the other day? I saw a smaller, very similar looking boat being towed by a white F150 (early 2000 vintage) back into a driveway on Orchard Rd.

Sorry to hear about the templates. I find buying some foam board from hobby shops works well if you can get it big enough. I would do a paper template, then get that close, do a foam core template slightly larger, and trim that down slowely.

zach103

Commander

Go for it :) if i can you can lol..

hahahaha yahh that was me silver f-150 2000... yah the two white houses at the top of the hill on orchard. grandparents land..

yah thats one of the ideas i had.. that and some form of post and scribe

zach103

Commander

ok so motors almost done just need some help from the guys over in the the evinrude section.

template for transom is done.. got some nice thin cardboard from work and scribed it

Got the stern light working and gotta get a bulb for the bow.. horn works.. gotta find the speedometer thats somewhere in the garage

sunday is transom day and maybe stringer than maybe some deck

zach103

Commander

engine guys helped me and the starter worked so gunna try it tomorrow

transom pieces are cut out still gotta grind some more..

P1080552.jpg

P1080554.jpg

P1080555.jpg

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like good progress...

Yeah I drove by in a blue/silver F250 ex cab truck. My parents house is almost visible from your property there. If you look out your back yard you can see some larger homes on the hill, those are our neigbors.

I was there this weekend, but didn't get to work on the boat. Did get to take my Mustang out for a drive though, and that felt GREAT!

Did you ever head to Suburban and speak with them about boats in the back? I have heard some stories about them asking insane money for those boats, but never myself stopped in. I have seen a few 20-23 footers in there that I wouldn't mind owning, and also wonder if they have any older trailers that might work for my boat?

Keep up with the progress!

zach103

Commander

i might have seen you than lol.. what do you mean by insane prices like way to high or low?? i walked around their lot one time lookin for some other columbians and found some decent boats.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah you might have seen the truck or the car, I'm in that area a fair amount.

I have heard insanely high prices, from my father. I guess years ago he went there looking for a project boat. They told him some rediculous price for one sitting with no cover for 5+ years, and claim they will "clean" it before selling it. Needless to say he went elsewhere!

I would be interested to hear what they want for some of them. A few of them I would love to get my hands on!

zach103

Commander

me too.. once im done with this one.. maybe ill go down there sometime and ask..

So the motor started today but got stuck at WOT so now more trouble shooting for that..

25thmustang are you going to that open house/boat show down at Petzolds in Middletown this weekend?