Next Project

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Next Project

Nice looking project. Classic lines, lapstrake hull (ride like they are on rails). And it looks like the original windshield was a square corner, not a wrap around style. Not too hard to make from aluminum L or U channel and plexyglass.

Might I recomend mounting the seats a little low, for a more sporty feel, and make the windshield a little taller, so the wind goes over your head, not right into your eyes.

The gelcoat looks faded, but if your look at my MFG project in my signature below, you can probalby polish the original red color back. And don't think you have to polish it, you can sand it, prime it, and have the local body shop shoot a nice coat of auto paint on it that will hold up just fine for years.

BTW, the control box is a great one. Not hard to disassemble, lube it up and clean any electrical connections on the switch. Ask when you get to that point.

Make a list of all the accessories you want, like gauges, new steering helm and cable, gas/water filter, permanent tank, new seats, etc. Price it all out so you get no surprises. I bet you can't buy a new boat of that size for what it will cost to get that one cleaned up and running like a top.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress. Its a nice looking boat.

About the paint being faded this stuff pulls off miracles http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...true&storeNum=163&subdeptNum=164&classNum=164 1 or 2 cotes then a wax and my paint looked fresh.

EDIT

on second look maybe a new paint job is needed.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Was the cap painted with spray paint cans? Looks like it from the photos. Probably the best solution is sand and paint.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Did you ever get the rest of the old floor out, or do you plan to leave it & lay the ply over it? If you haven't I'd pull the rest out, I mean you've come this far why not?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Id pull all that wet nasty mess up its just going to cause problems later.you almost to the rebuild part Keep it up and you will be floating soon.

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that rotted wood will only spread to the new wood you put down.

zach103

Commander

all the wood is up.. well except for the transom but im workin on that .. its now down to fiberglass.. but the fiberglass isnt flat and even .. its all bumpy like an old dirt path lol.. so thats why i wondered if i should just lay the wood on top of that.. .. yah the pictures bad it was at night

zach103

Commander

yah mark it was lol.. my work when i was about 12 years old lol.. ill most likely go with Perfection later on

Willyclay

Captain

Glad to see you posting again. Hang in there with the project. Most forum members have time constraints of one sort or another. It's like eating an elephant: You gotta do it one bite at a time!

A suggestion regarding storing the cap until you get around to re-installing it. Your last pictures showed it elevated on sawhorses forward and aft. Any pressure on it like snow, wind or someone's elbow is likely to break one or both the side/gunnel sections. That would only add to your repair list. I recommend that you store it on the ground with bracing only where needed to maintain the original lines and prevent stress points. Good luck!

Last edited:

zach103

Commander

good thinking.. how much do you think it weighs.. i was thinking about making it so that i can drop the cap down from the ceiling and work on it when i want.. than i can do all the electrical and everything from under it

zach103

Commander

anyone got any ideas on how i can get it so that i can lift the cap up so i can work under it

zach103

Commander

im in a shed now so i have a number of 2x6s running along the roof that i was trying to use..

i got some glass done today. trying to fill a few holes.. i need to lube up steering wheel and get it off.. than a good layer of glass on over the whole dash. new wood on the back of it... than trailer work

zach103

Commander

still need some help with being able to fit the cap.. anyone have any ideas??

zach103

Commander

wow been awhile.. but i started goin again

P1080494.jpg

P1080488.jpg

P1080489.jpg

P1080490.jpg

]
P1080493.jpg

oh and my new radio for 25 bucks

P1080496.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay there Zach ,

Did you try to get her out yet ?? Today would be a good day to try !! its going to get 41 here today , then cold again tomorrow !! If you can get a hose out there it should do it !!! John

Ps great find on the radio !! find me one !! lol

zach103

Commander

ill keep looking lol

no not today.. im gunna try tomor if i can get out of work early enough

zach103

Commander

well went after work. 3 hoses couldnt get any water thru them i think one of them has ice in it.. so got frustrated and was about to go home when i slid a little on some ice and grabbed the boat to help. and the boat moved lol. it got up to 50 today but no sun so didnt feel that warm but just enough to thaw the ground some more just enough.. so went home finished the trailer . headed back over around 830 and now the boats on