Next Project

zach103

Commander
Re: Next Project

alright so couldnt get pics.. i will this weekend . but i did find out that the boat was built the town over. at a marina that i've visited and driven by many times.. the builder son still owns the place so i sent him an email for more info. so we'll see what comes up .. im hoping to get alot work done this weekend but i still don't have a car. and its berlin fair weekend

zach103

Commander

i know you do lol.. i have some on my phone but have no way to get them on the pc cuz my phone sucks

reelfishin

Captain

That boat is very similar to an old Sea King I just got, the only differences are around the windshield area. Mine if flat having no raised area. The one I have shows no sign of ever having a windshield.

As far as support off the trailer, you can either do something as simple as blocking the two rear corners and bow areas or cut and build a few cradles out of plywood to match the contours of the hull. You could also set up a one piece dolly having two lengthwise bunks on which to support the boat as if it were still on a trailer. I would also cut and install a couple of cross braces in place of the upper cap to protect the shape of the lower hull while doing any glass work.
I've done so many boats lately that I've taken a couple of old, no longer road worthy trailers and made them into shop dollies with full length bunks and two swivel casters up front. It lets me remove the boat from it's original trailer and work on it at a much lower height as well as to be able to recondition the trailer as well.

On mine, I'll be doing the transom first, then immediately reinstalling the cap and then proceeding with the deck replacement. My thought there is that I want the cap in place before I begin to glass in the new deck. I want to avoid any chance of warping the whole structure in any way and putting the cap back on will guarantee that everything lines back up. (My upper cap doesn't interfere any with my deck, I only need to remove it to get to the transom wood).

zach103

Commander

i have a couple rachet straps on there now holding it steady. maybe ill put the cap on like you said

zach103

Commander

here it is.

My work space
0c293be7.jpg

d651d498.jpg

875075ee.jpg

1ab03578.jpg

78c8cca8.jpg

0be97c90.jpg

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

whoa thats one heck of a project :eek: whats up with that last pic

zach103

Commander

its some trees over in my cousins yard. nothings out there it just grew like that i thought it looked coool..

has anyone ever seen the 2nd layer of wood like that? it looks like something you would see in a house..

and also the last fiberglass that you see after all the wood is uneven. should i cut it out or what?

jcsercsa

Captain

OOOOH Man Zach, your having fun now !!! lol looks as bad as mine was !!

I would get rid of it all !! and that wood does look like lattice, thats werid !!!! John

i386

Captain

Yea, that looks familiar.:):):) Pretty easy to gut when it's that rotten. You need some ants in there to make it interesting.

zach103

Commander

no ants on the land. just . well everything else lol.. look at the nice cosy house the mice made of my engine.. also .

any idea on waht to do with that layer of glass left?

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good so far. I almost wish I had something like that to do, only I am doing something else.

zach103

Commander

im gunna pull a jserb and put up a wish list. if you guys see anything cheap.

2 cowl vents.
1 Bilge Pump
1 Bilge pump kit (hoses, clamps, fitting)
1 Hidden Horn
1 6 Gang switch panel (with fuses)
1 Battery Switch
1 Anchor line only only 50. or 100
1 Windshield.

Cheap glass.
cheap poly resin.
How much do i need for both these?

zach103

Commander

talked to a couple guys at suburban. not the owner tho. hes suppose to call me. 2 guys worked in the factory and built the boats so i talked to them. they said someone must have tampered with the floor cuz thats not how they did it.. im gunna bring it down to them once i get a truck they said they would take a look and help me figure it out..

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you should cut it in half both ways and make it 2 feet wider and 4 feet longer :eek: just kidding but oops would think it was a good idea i bet :D

zach103

Commander

haha yah right.. after hearing him complain about all the sanding theres no way im doing that... i think i might sell this one. money for the next project.. suburban has about 50 boats stuck in the back . decent trailers decent motor decent shape. you can tell they have been there for years.. im gunna talk to the guy tell him if he ever wants them gone ill take some.. good looking boats too

zach103

Commander

stuck here

133c327b-1.jpg

its hard to see but its not flush/even all that .. its all wobbly? ... like a dirt road . should i cut thru this and see whats underneath or what?

zach103

Commander

alright havn't gotten to this in a while between school work and now the weather.. but still at the part in the previous post. im thinking about just getting some marine plywood and laying it on top of that. make it level and glass it down.. ill make sure it stays level throughout the glassing.

sound good?