My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

If I had enough sense to work out the details on mounts for my seats ahead of time they would already be in place. But I had no idea what seats I would be using when the deck went down. If I had it to do over I would have purchased my seats and made the mounts before gelcoating the deck. But that's the way it goes.
I built some simple mounts that are bonded to the deck with epoxy. They consist of a plate with chocks on either end.

DSC07247.jpg

Before setting the mounts I assembled the seats and placed them on the deck. I set them in position by first placing a strip of tape down the centerline of the deck. I then used that line to reference mark the seats in their final position. I used tape on the deck at the inboard corners of each seat box to keep them in place while I marked the areas where the mounts need to go.

DSC07248.jpg

After getting all the reference marks in place I removed the boxes and started the work to prep the deck for epoxy. I started by sanding the areas where the mounts need to go. I had to remove all the gelcoat and clean the area well to remove all the surfacing wax for the epoxy. I was careful to only remove enough gelcoat that is necessary to glue the mounts down. I will be covering the mounts with fiberglass to make then watertight. To prevent having to do allot of finishing work to make the deck look right again, I am keeping all the glue and the tabs for for the fiberglass layer under the seats. Again I only removed enough gelcoat to accommodate the glass.

DSC07403.jpg

Once the mounts are in place it will be simple matter to screw the seats to the blocks through the side of the seat box. I may through bolt it depending on how it shakes out.

DSC07408.jpg

I used just enough thickened epoxy to glue the mounts down. I was careful to clean all the epoxy that squeezed out around the edges. Poly will not bond well to epoxy so I just want the glue under the mount, not around the outside.

DSC07409.jpg

The deck has a slight slope to center to keep all the water that gets on the deck flowing aft. I added a couple of strips of aluminum down the side of the seat box so it will sit level on the deck. This will also slightly raise one side of the box so that any water that gets inside the seat box can drain out toward center.

DSC07417.jpg

I don?t have any shots of it, but I did cover each mount with poly resin and surfboard cloth just to make them watertight. If I had it to do over I would shape the mounts to make them easier to cover with glass. Even surfboard cloth does not like to roll over sharp corners.
After some smoothing I will recoat the mounts with gelcoat to help protect them and to make them look purdy.
Yeah I know, I will never see them, but I will know. Besides I need to use the gelcoat I have left over.

drewpster

Commander

I finished the paint And got everything mounted on my nifty battery switch/ breaker/ ground post mount. I also buttoned up all the wiring for all the accessory lighting and the fuse panel.

DSC07404.jpg

With the battery in place you can see that all the cable routing is hidden under the aft portion of the cap. All of the wiring will be hidden including the engine harness and control cables when they go in.

DSC07405.jpg

I was able to hide all of the wiring. I am going to use the windshield bolts to tie the wiring under the dash up so it won't be seen.

DSC07406.jpg

Here is what it looks like all lit up. Cool!

DSC07411.jpg

I got all my windshield parts back from powder coating. I picked a satin black finish. They look great and my gaskets should be here this week.

DSC07241.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how it goes back together....?
On challenge is going to be the rivets. I will need to figure out how I am going to color all those aluminum rivets. Sharpie maybe? Here is a good look how the parts came out. I am really happy with it. I love powder coat.

DSC07243.jpg

My wife and I are going out of town this week end on business. I hope to get the windshield project completed when I get the gaskets in and we get back. That will be another major milestone passed when that gets done. The windshield should complete the total look of the boat. Really looking forward to that one!

parrisw

Ensign

Awesome work man!! I just love seeing tidy work like that, especially the wiring. I love making nice harness like that. Shows allot about yourself, and the pride you take in your work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome work as usual.

drewpster

Commander

Hey Drew the boat is looking great. I would be super happy if you were to go into a very detailed explanation of your electrical installation as that is a great setup.

I will do a more detailed thread on the electrical in the electrical forum when I get a chance. Thanks for your compliments.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

{/QUOTE}Now I just have to figure out how it goes back together....?
On challenge is going to be the rivets. I will need to figure out how I am going to color all those aluminum rivets. Sharpie maybe? Here is a good look how the parts came out. I am really happy with it. I love powder coat.[/QUOTE]

HEY DREWPSTER,
You can buy rivets that have an anodized finish on them. i am sot sure where to tell you to look for them but I know that most metal building companies have them for trim work.
um try this web site:
www.muellerinc.com
I know they have them and will ship if needed.

tallcanadian

Captain

Man, that is just way too nice. I hope you have mud flaps on your tow vehicle. lol. Wouldn't want to chip that beauty. Awesome.

drewpster

Commander

Thanks allot my lengthy Canadian friend. I hope to have a fuel tank soon so I can wrap up the deck and get the engine going again. I hope to make splashdown before it gets too cold. (we see 40's during the day here....in the height of winter!:D) Are you guys seeing snow yet? (dig, dig) :p

tallcanadian

Captain

Thanks allot my lengthy Canadian friend. I hope to have a fuel tank soon so I can wrap up the deck and get the engine going again. I hope to make splashdown before it gets too cold. (we see 40's during the day here....in the height of winter!:D) Are you guys seeing snow yet? (dig, dig) :p

LOL. We actually have some light snow falling as we speak. It's 28F and with the wind chill it feels like 16F. Thanks for rubbing that in, lol. Are you expecting to do a splash soon? I hope you do a video of that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Drewpster,

I wanted to inform you that you have officially been KICKED OUT of the Ugly Boat Club!! The work you have done to your boat has disqualified you and you will NO LONGER be welcome to associate with any of the Ugly Boat Members! We are sorry that you have found it necessary to make these improvements to your boat and now will have to hang out with those "OTHER GUYS" in the "BEE-YOU-T-FULL" Boat Club. You should have considered this before you went to all of that effort. Oh well it is your loss(or is it your Gain, I get confused). I hope you have a nice time with your new club members.

I'm just sayin...:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Drewpster

Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your project and hope you and yours had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm Just Sayin...:D

drewpster

Commander

Thanks it took me allot of years to get it. I am a typical gearhead. After years of doing this kind of stuff on dirt, gravel and in the weather, I sure appreciate having it. And my wife enjoys being rid of me from time to time.

drewpster

Commander

Just to let you guys know I have not fallen off the planet i thought I would fill you in. I completed the windshield except for a couple of small items. I need to order some harware for the door catches.
I tried to fit a 19 gallon permenant gas tank but it was just too large so I went with a 12 gallon. I am mounting it the same way I did the battery box using a plate glassed to the deck and wood screw inserts for the hold downs. Next up will be cleat installation. They should be here the Tuesday after Christmas.
The tank mount is glued in place and needs to be glassed over. When that is done I will apply the final coat of gelcoat on the deck covering the battery, seat and gas tank mounts. Pics will follow.
Hope you all have a very merry! Me and my 4 year old are very, very excited to see Santa this year. Maybe a marine stereo in it for me...lets hope.:p
Merry Christmas!!

drewpster

Commander

Another Christmas is past and I have come along with the boat. I have been telling the guys in the family that it should be ready for spring...for the last three years. This spring may be the one. I fully expect it.
First , I have to show you my Christmas present from my wife. It is exactly the one I asked for. Of course at one point during the holiday she had me convinced she had bought a stereo. She is a playful one. But I have to say I am very happy with the steering wheel she got me. It sets the dash off, and is a quality piece.

DSC07735.jpg

I finally got the deck completed. The mounts for the seats, battery, and gas tank are all in place. After getting everything glassed in place I coated it with gelcoat. I had just enough of the pigmented gelcoat left in the can to get it done. I used a factory hold down kit you can buy from Moeller to mount their tanks. To be honest I could have made them but the price of the hold downs were worth saving the extra step. The tank is solid. It holds twelve gallons.

DSC07738.jpg

I plan to use a water separator inline from the tank to the primer bulb. It will be mounted behind the tank out of site. I left enough room around it to service the filter and help keep everything looking neat.

DSC07736.jpg

Along with the tank I installed the gas fill and the fuel vent fitting. The fill I bought is a cheaper unit but I like the way the look ties in to the paint scheme. The guard on the fuel vent completes it.

DSC07745.jpg

Note: Wanna know the difference between marine brass fittings and standard brass fittings for your fuel system? The marine hose barbs are slightly longer to allow for the use of two stainless clamps instead of the normal one. (ABYC standards) If you look closely you can see I used two clamps on each connection.

After I buttoned up the fuel fill to keep the shavings out of the tank. I remembered it was time to install the aft cleats. (Of course the tank was was mounted...hush) I used aluminum backing plates I made at work and stainless hardware to mount them. The back of the boat is going to get ripped out before these let go. They are solid.

DSC07746.jpg

I also used all stainless hardware to set the controls in place. I prefer to have everything mounted in place so I can get a good measurement for the control cables. I also set the seat in place temporarily to get a good position for the control.

DSC07734.jpg

Did I mention how much I am digging that wheel!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

drewpster

Commander

When mounting your control pay close attention to its position. I temporarily set the seat on its mount to get the best place for it. My hand is going to be on it for the majority of the time underway, I want it comfortable. I also set the seat back a couple of inches to allow for my dad and brother who are about four inches taller than me. (they say I am adopted) They always want to drive.

DSC07751.jpg

looking aft under the splashtray you can get an idea of the battery's final position. I have plenty of room to remove it with the seat in place when I need to.

DSC07752.jpg

With the seats, wheel, and control in place it is really looking like a boat again.

DSC07748.jpg

Man! That engine looks huge! I sure hope it floats.

DSC07754.jpg

I still have a ways to go yet but I am really getting excited guys. This has been the culmination of three years worth of late nights and weekends to make this happen. Next comes the control cables and final engine wiring After everything gets finally mounted. I need to run in the engine soon to feel comfortable about making our annual fishing trip this year. I hope to make splashdown before the really hot weather sets in. I hope to get the trailer and engine refinished before then. We'll see, I don't want another year of the guys cussing me. They are just as stoked as I am...well almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.