My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

nehringer

Cadet
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Will do! I've used Nidacore before and I've got enough left over to do the stringers and additional bulkheads that my design will require. I really over-engineered my last project, but it turned out great. I don't mind the cost of it vs that of marine ply. The weight will be slightly offset with two fuel tanks just like yours in opposite corners of the stern and a bait tank between the bow seats, or "deck supports" as it were.

My very first boat was a Glastron tri-hull and I turned it into a bass boat. Talk about over-engineered! I went nuts with 3/4" pt ply. I had no clue what I was doing, but I knew what I wanted. I must have added about 300 pounds to the boat, my little 55 chugged right along. The bow seats of that one were also deck supports and I had an old cooler under the center of the deck as a live well. I had an additional deep cycle battery under there too for the bow mounted trolling motor. This center console will also have a bow mounted trolling motor, but both batteries will be under the console where they can be easilly accessed.

I work 7 days on and 7 days off so I have at least 40 hours every other week to work on this. Weeks that I'm gone I can study my drawings and order parts and supplies so they are at home when I get there. I'm really looking forward to it. You know; making the whole house smell like a meth lab, the burning and itching from sanding and grinding, hosing out the garage every couple of days, and that cloud of dust that just seems to never go away. Yeah...gonna be fun. Could be worse I guess...I could chase a little white ball around some field in 100+ degree heat! :facepalm:

drewpster

Commander

I hear ya! Good luck with it. Start a thread so we can watch the progress. I hope to be getting another camera soon so I can post a video on the boat soon. I still need to get some back rests made and I am planning to replace the bow rails. Its been a blast so far this summer!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I find the lack of pictures or video of this thing in the water to be disturbing........................

drewpster

Commander

Settle down Darth. I'm working on it....I am sans photo machine at the moment. Its coming I promise. I just need a few more coins to get the camera wifey wants and I am back in business. My wife had a little mishap with our old one when a little stingray was baited in to her netheregions by my sister-in-law. Screaming insued, camera went splash and no longer works. Extreamly funny! And a story I will not stop telling. They were on a little trip and went stingray watching. Of course my sister-in-law dropped some bait in the wrong spot. LOL The camera went flying and my wife went screaming the other way.
If I had a video of it, FHV would be paying me for it right now! halarious!

wiltop

Cadet

great thread, well documented. My turn to hit the boat, motivated!!

TheBlueDrifter

Recruit

Best informational thread i've seen so far! Thank you for sharing your project with us. I have just recently aquired a 1974 Imperial which is my first fiber glass rig. This has given me a great place to go for info when starting my project. Can't wait to see the pics on the water.

drewpster

Commander

Splasdown Video is finally Done!!!!
Tell me what you think.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice drewp!! That's one special moment there splashing her. And it's about time on the video!! Glad to here your enjoying her and she should last another thousand years as well as you built her. She scoots along the water nicely to :D.

TheBlueDrifter

Recruit

Awesome drewp!! Very cool! I can only hope my 74' imperial turns out half as nice as your rig. You have helped to get me motivated tremendously. Thank you!

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fantastic! I?ve been watching this thread from the wings since I joined. I learned a lot from your build. Job well done. Congratulations!

tallcanadian

Captain

Fantastic! I?ve been watching this thread from the wings since I joined. I learned a lot from your build. Job well done. Congratulations!

Are you kidding me? That is just sick. Well done!! It's absolutely beautiful. Looks awesome in the water, looks nice on the trailer too..lol. Very well done drew. You must be tickled pink. :D:D

drewpster

Commander

Thanks you guys, it means allot! I cannot describe the feeling of pulling a build like this off. We have had a blast with this boat. I actually got asked if it was for sale! It really made me feel good. And so do you guys.
If you have a project going...KEEP AT IT. It is worth every painful hour when you get to this point. The recognition feels great and the sense of accomplishment is something I wish for all of you working on your own boats. As always, we at iboats are more than happy to help with any detail to get your project finished. Happy boating, even if it is under a tarp with sander in hand...your a boater! Thanks ya'll!

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

AWESOME and CONGRATS!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Drew,

Awesome buddy. Looks great! Sounds great! Fantastic job!

drewpster

Commander

Almost as nice as your 77 Greg. Thanks for checking in. You guys staying busy this season?

Yeah. I have been running my project boat non-stop and loving every minute of it. No problems what so ever. Except I need a few cup hoders to hold my beer. I have spilled a few...not good.

Now that you are done with your tri-hull, when are you starting/finishing the big boat? Would make a good thread also.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drew,

How far down the river are you? I'm in Knoxville.

George

drewpster

Commander

I'm in Chattanooga George. I am on the Chickamauga, Nickajack sections.

Greg,

I plan to go full bore on the big boat in the fall near the end of the season. This year we have been concentrating on fun. The family has had a rough couple of years, so this year its all about the fun! The old thread for the revel craft is so old I think I will start a new thread on bottom/ blister repair and work up. I have to start on the hull and replace stringers, deck finishes, engine and drive, steering, and a ton of other stuff i plan to go through. I am also toying with the idea of removing the cabin top completely and replacing the whole main deck. I also like the idea of replacing the top supports with aluminum tube. Nothing is set in stone and the deck can go as is.......but you know me.....I may have to do something major.

toddluck

Cadet

i learned alot from this restore thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.