My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

looking really good drewpster, I like the lighting and other "do dads" that you are installing, makes for a classy rig. Keep up the good work.

sail on.....tink

drewpster

Commander

I wanted to let you guys know about whats going on with the windshield resto. I took all the parts to a local powdercoater that does custom work. In all, there were 22 pieces to be coated. I went with a satin black color that I think is going to be a good neutral to go with the rest of the boat. He quoted me $125 bucks to do the job. I sent samples of all of the windshield gaskets to a boat windshield company in Miami florida. They have some gasket profiles on thier website that look exactely like what I need. They emailed that they have the gasket samples I sent. I am waiting for a reply. There have been many posts on where to find these gaskets in the forums. This is the only source I have found that could give me a positive answere on getting the right ones. The customer service rep (Iris, sounds hot) said that they would be sure to find what would work for me if they did not have the exact profile. I am waiting to hear. Iris may be hot but I'm going to reserve a recommendation until I get the gaskets. I am considering doing a windshield resto thread when i see how all the parts come out and the gaskets get here.

redfury

Commander

Where did you find those strip lights at? I'm looking to do something similar to my lighting when I get to it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
The lights look great and the black windshield should be a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing it.
Bob

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So when are you going to get started on my boat? An 84 thundercraft, needs a new floor and seats, and probably a new transom. But after looking through this thread, I'm very confident that doing those repairs are beyond my abilities. If only... that would be great to do such a comprehensive restoration on my old boat.

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just finished reading the whole thread. Nice work drewp!! I have learned SO much. I'm a new boat owner (old boat) and I just tore out the floor today which raised a bunch of "how the _______ am I gonna do this" questions. Many have been aswered now thanks to the detail in your explanations.

The tri-hull looks awesome!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be hittin' ya up with questions as I get deeper into my resto......

drewpster

Commander

Just finished reading the whole thread. Nice work drewp!! I have learned SO much. I'm a new boat owner (old boat) and I just tore out the floor today which raised a bunch of "how the _______ am I gonna do this" questions. Many have been aswered now thanks to the detail in your explanations.

The tri-hull looks awesome!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be hittin' ya up with questions as I get deeper into my resto......

Great! I am so glad I have been able to help. I'm always glad to help a fellow nutcase. The best way to get all your questions answered is to start your own thread and link it to your signature. That way we can see what you are working on. Feel free to post your questions here, but you will get a more thorough response if you post in the forum. There are plenty of restorers with more experience than me, and some professionals as well. I am always glad to help and a will give answers even if they are wrong.:p

drewpster

Commander

So when are you going to get started on my boat? An 84 thundercraft, needs a new floor and seats, and probably a new transom. But after looking through this thread, I'm very confident that doing those repairs are beyond my abilities. If only... that would be great to do such a comprehensive restoration on my old boat.

If I thought for a second that I had the resources to do this professionally, and could make money, I would take the job in a second. But unfortunately I don't have the 10 or 20 years it would take to make this in to a profitable business. In short, you cant afford me....LOL. Trust me, I would love to take the job, this work has been very gratifying.
You CAN do it yourself. There is no way that it takes the detailed steps I have taken to get this boat seaworthy. I started this to learn fiberglass work, and I have learned allot here. You can do it too. Just dive in.

l008com

If I thought for a second that I had the resources to do this professionally, and could make money, I would take the job in a second. But unfortunately I don't have the 10 or 20 years it would take to make this in to a profitable business. In short, you cant afford me....LOL. Trust me, I would love to take the job, this work has been very gratifying.
You CAN do it yourself. There is no way that it takes the detailed steps I have taken to get this boat seaworthy. I started this to learn fiberglass work, and I have learned allot here. You can do it too. Just dive in.

I don't even have a garage. I can't do this myself :( I don't think my floor is as bad as yours though. Well I know it's not. Its a little soft but not too bad. No visible rotting at all. The upper hull of my boat is one big piece, which includes the floor of the bow section. And the horrible rug goes under that. They apparently glued in the rug before the fitted the top of the boat. So I tore out most of the rug, but its still really gross around the edge of the bow floor because theres crappy rotten rug hanging out of the edge. If I could tear out all the rug, and replace the floor so my new seats could have an extra solid base to mount to... this boat would easily have another 20 years in it. If only...

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great! I am so glad I have been able to help. I'm always glad to help a fellow nutcase. The best way to get all your questions answered is to start your own thread and link it to your signature. That way we can see what you are working on. Feel free to post your questions here, but you will get a more thorough response if you post in the forum. There are plenty of restorers with more experience than me, and some professionals as well. I am always glad to help and a will give answers even if they are wrong.:p

I did start my own thread a couple days ago. Feel free to jump in any time if you see me doing something wrong. (or if you see me doing something the hard way) ;)

Got the old transom out tonight......tought work but got it in less than 2 hours. :D

I pasted a link to my thread......not sure if I did it correctly though.

Thanks again!!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=445965

drewpster

Commander

I finally got my powdercoated parts back for my windshield. They look great, pics will follow. I also heard back from the windshield company down in Florida. They have all the gaskets I need and they are charging me 1.60Ft for it. I will need about 30 total feet of it to re-do the whole windshield. I included a link here and I will repost it when i get the windshield thread started.

http://www.oceandynamics.com/

speak to Iris in customer service, hot.

l008com

On that website you linked to, the second "Before and After" is funny. They clearly just poorly photoshoped out the windshield of the 'After' pic, and made the 'Before' pic.

drewpster

Commander

I cant really vouch for the company's ability to build windshields. I did not contact them for that reason. I got with them because they are the only retail outlet I have found that have windshield gaskets for older windshields like the one I am restoring. After I get the gaskets and put mine together I will give a complete recommendation depending on how it works out. (we'll see)

drewpster

Commander

On that website you linked to, the second "Before and After" is funny. They clearly just poorly photoshoped out the windshield of the 'After' pic, and made the 'Before' pic.

I'm sorry, I am not seeing what you are seeing. Are you talking about the pictures on the home page? The pictures look fine to me, what am I missing?

i386

Captain

The lighting and battery mount are right on! I am about to enter that phase on my project. Looks like I have a plan now thanks to you. Great work!

drewpster

Commander

The lighting and battery mount are right on! I am about to enter that phase on my project. Looks like I have a plan now thanks to you. Great work!

Leave it to a Georgian to get my genius! :D Thanks for the compliments. Ever been on Lake Lanier? I am from there. Mom passed recently but she kept a home there in Buford for years. Glad I could help.

l008com

From that web site:

new-frame-before.jpg

new-frame-after.jpg

So, if your boat has been photoshopped, this company can un-photoshop it for you! Yippee :-D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Drew the boat is looking great. I would be super happy if you were to go into a very detailed explanation of your electrical installation as that is a great setup.

deltatechx

Cadet

I just got done reading your thread and all I can say is thank you so much for making this thread and keeping up with it. This'll be the perfect guide for building mine.

Can't wait to see yours on the water, awesome build man.

Status
Not open for further replies.