My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Thanks ezmobee. Its really not a huge job and you can do it in place if need be. I seem to remember seeing those decals too.
Make that Rude shine.

lonnie t

Seaman

you been doin an awesome job drewpster

Drew,

Nice job on the motor. You basically did what I did. I really good refresh. Looks great.

tallcanadian

Captain

Man, that motor looks awesome. Is she gonna sink that boat? lol. Very nice looking combo.;):D

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great project!! You did an amazing job!!

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Looks really good drewpster, definitely this year will be splashdown. you have an eye for detail. very nice work.

hey if you don't mind i was wondering how much money did you put into it and how long it take you. thinking of doing the same on my boat.

drewpster

Commander

I cant really say how much money I have in my project. Lets just say at this point I could have bought a really nice boat. The difference here is that this one is mine.....really mine. And, at the end of this project....ITS PAID FOR.
The time I have invested is far more valuable than the money. While it has cost me allot of late nights and a huge effort I cannot put a price on what I get out of it. I find my best balance doing these kinds of things. It started as a child when I built my own lazer guns out of my Dad's scrap wood and it continues with everything I put my efforts in to. As you can tell, I have a very deep feeling about it.

I will hate to see it end.
Three years have gone by really fast.

drewpster

Commander

Well kids I crossed another major threshold yesterday! I finally got the rubrail installed. The day started warm enough but as it went along conditions changed and my wife and I ended up heating it with a heat gun while we screwed it in place. One recommendation when installing rubber rubrail- Dont used rivets with raised heads to attach your cap! I was really unhappy with the result of the rubrail. Its straight enough, but it has ripples all down its length as a result of the rivets under it. Oh Well! At this point I have to live it. I was afraid it woudl happen and it did. I should have used srews. Whats done is done.

Second, during the day yesterday I took the boat to the store and bought 5 gallons of overpriced gas in the tank. I had to replace the spark plug wires because I broke one of boots removing it from a plug. I checked all the plugs and double checked all my wiring. I stalled my water muffs and gave the starter a try. VROOOOM! I only let it idle for a second or two. I will have some more bench testing to check the timing and make sure everything is 5x5, then it is off to the lake this weekind. Hopefully weather will permit a test run! VROOOOOM! best sound in the world!

Drew,

Good to hear that you have the engine running and are getting ready to splash it! Take some video.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

pics... video?????? :) :) :) :)

I cannot wait!! Make sure we see some of your face too when you splash ;)

drewpster

Commander

The front seat coushins are at the apolstery shop. The front hand rails are also in the works. Regardless of that splashdown is coming this weekend. Video will be taken, frivolity and unbridled joy will insue! I will also take some night shots so the fancy lighting can be shown off! Wish us luck.

enjoy life
drewp

redfury

Commander

Looking forward to it! a great way to hold the camera steady is to use the bolt hole on the bottom of your camera and get a small bolt/screw that fits, tie a piece of string to it ( about 5 feet ) and let it dangle. Then, when you need a steady shot, you step on the string and pull up a little to take out the slack...no more camera bounce!

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That motor looks good! And boat too! That is the step that I am on. I have a few questions if you don't mind?
After sanding did you use a primer or just paint? How many coats and how long in between coats? Also did you use the merc clear coat? The clear coat is on the way so I guess I'll use it anyway, just wondering.
I think I'm going to strip the cowl but I was having second thoughts about striping the midsection. Because I'm not pulling the block inorder to "strip it right". Glad I seen this, I will go this route now!
thank you

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The front seat coushins are at the apolstery shop. The front hand rails are also in the works. Regardless of that splashdown is coming this weekend. Video will be taken, frivolity and unbridled joy will insue! I will also take some night shots so the fancy lighting can be shown off! Wish us luck.

enjoy life
drewp

Hey drewp... how far are you from splashdown?

Sorry... I very anxious to see it ;)

drewpster

Commander

:D
That motor looks good! And boat too! That is the step that I am on. I have a few questions if you don't mind?
After sanding did you use a primer or just paint? How many coats and how long in between coats? Also did you use the merc clear coat? The clear coat is on the way so I guess I'll use it anyway, just wondering.
I think I'm going to strip the cowl but I was having second thoughts about striping the midsection. Because I'm not pulling the block inorder to "strip it right". Glad I seen this, I will go this route now!
thank you

What I did on the engine is real simple. All of the factory paint was intact so I had no bare spots, even on the bottom of the skeg which is surprising. I simply sanded it ligthly all over with 400 grit paper just to scuff it. Then I wiped everything down with thinner and a tack rag and I shot the paint out of the can. I bought clear coat but after seeing it when the paint dried it looked good enough and I did not shoot the clear. The time allowed between coats is going to depend on the paint you use, just follow the directions.
I applied the decals with a soft plastic bondo speader. The decal came with directions recommending a light spray with water under the decal. I apply these kinds of decals all the time and I am used to how they work so I put them on dry with no problems. (i suggest you use water unless you have done them before) Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been very busy boating lately.:p

drewpster

Commander

Hey drewp... how far are you from splashdown?

Sorry... I very anxious to see it ;)

Splashdown happened about three weeks ago! Sorry I have been absent and my camera got broke so no video yet. I had a few little issues with the engine but no big deal. The PO had the throttle linkage all messed up and the idle mixtures were wrong, but after getting that all insync the engine took off. And I mean TOOK OFF. This thing really flies. I knew it was going to be a bit light and it is. I am going to add a casting deck to the bow end because she is heavy aft. With me and my wife in the boat it rides great. I have yet to open it up completely yet. When I am alone it gets a bit hairy wide open but it rides fine, I am just a scardy cat. I was leaving bass boats pretty good this weekend. I do not have a GPS to see how fast it goes but my guess is i was klipping 50 mph pretty easily. (and it has more) I am very happy with it. Video will follow, i promise.

nehringer

Cadet

I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread. I was searching for "Tri-hull restoration" and boy, did I ever find the encyclopedia! I just recently parted with a big 26' walk around and I've been itching to get back out on the water. We're buying another big boat next Spring, but in the meantime I was wanting a little skif for knocking around the bay. I posted a Craigslist ad asking for a cheap or freebie unwanted boat that I could gut like a fish and build up. Your restoration saga has been inspiring and educational, even though I am not planning such a detail oriented restore. Rather, I am going to build upon the shell of a '76 Sport Craft and make a center console. All the boat is costing is the title fee. It has a trailer, which will be another project in and of itself. I've not even seen pictures of the boat yet, but I am confident that there is nothing salvagable other than the hull and cap. I'm going to carve up the cap and remove the side consoles and probably half of the bow rider seats. There will be a small casting deck up front supported by whats left of the seats and a recirculating bait tank in between. Pretty much all of these boats were built the same way, so after seeing yours up close, I have a better idea of how to plan this project. My goal isn't to make this as pretty as yours, but rather tough, light and as fishable as anything on the market today.

I appreciate all of the tips and sources you cited in your thread. Last time I built something I bought my bulk supplies locally from a shipyard. I think I paid too much, even taking shipping into consideration. I just have one question for you; you replaced wood with new wood. I'm planning on using Nida-core for just about everything except the transom. If I can get away with a synthetic transom core, I will. But as far as the floor, stringers, bulkheads and hull stiffeners, do you see any reason why I couldn't use 1/2" laminated nida-core? I'll be backing the core material with wood where I need a screw-sink but only small portions. One other thing I was wondering was, is there a reason why you didn't coat the bilge with either paint or gelcoat before you laid up the deck? I guess it may seem like a waste of material if you're not in a salt water environment. I may throw down a coat of gelcoat and then shoot it with PVA before I cover it up. With my center console plan, I will have to have a hole in the deck under the console and another at the transom for rigging access, so protecting the bilge is a little more critical in this application.

Congratulations on a job very well done, and I look forward to seeing the progress of your next project.

drewpster

Commander

The bilge is completely sealed except for the drain hole. So I did not need to coat the bilge under the deck. I have never used Nidacore but I have heard it is tough stuff. (also expensive) The only problem i could see is the boat turning out too light. Of course it depends on how much gear you plan to stow. A benefit would be that you mat be able to get away with less engine. i over powered my setup because I thought I was adding dry weight. But as it turns out, the boat built lighter and now I am over powered. Thats fine though, I'm a little crazy anyway and I like the added horse power. Nidacore will most likely work just fine if you are good at glassing. However given the cost of the stuff you may be over doing it. It will make the boat last allot longer but I believe wood will last longer than I will. Keep me in touch with your project, always glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.