My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

That is an extremely nice wheel. I like the "ships wheel" kinda look without looking silly like I think some of the all metal ones do when used on small boats.

Thanks ezmobee, I agree. I really wanted a spoked wheel to keep sort of a nostalgic feel to it. I looked at some of those stainless ones you see so often these days and they just did not look right for a boat this size. I think the black grip is sporty without being too modern looking. Thanks again.

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks awesome!!

After I bought my boat in October, and got to working on it, I was so gung ho for the first couple months. I remember thinking, "I wonder how some guys let their project stretch into the following year......and then another." :) It's all coming clear now!! :eek::facepalm: I haven't touched my boat in a month or so. It's extremely cold here now, and thoughts of spring and warm weather seem so unrealistic that I don't feel any pressure, (self-induced), to get in the garage to work. Oh well, wish me luck. ;)

And Drewp, once again I say, "Well done!!"

parrisw

Ensign

Very nice work. Haven't been able to do much on mine due to the cold, can't fiberglass when its too cold.

drewpster

Commander

To be honest I have to make myself get out there too fellas. I love this work, especially the fitting I am doing now, but I still have to "make" time for it. Three years kids! That's a long time, but I still think about it constantly. I am looking forward to the bigger boat coming up. I hope to have it done by the time my daughter finishes high school! (she's 4) See you guys on the bank, we'll be offshore soon enough! Just keep plugging!

the next challenge
perfect1-3.jpg

Man that looks awesome!!! Great work Drew. I got the same steering wheel for my project as well. It's a great looking wheel. Your work is like perfection.

drewpster

Commander

Like I said before, I have to keep up with the Mrozinskis. :)

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

DAMN! Looks AWESOME!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tallcanadian

Captain

Man oh man. That is one beautiful piece of art. I think you found your true calling, Drew. Very nice indeed. I so can't wait to see it on the water. Awesome work bud. The three years of hard work is finally paying off.

drewpster

Commander

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. When I started this I only intended to get the thing solid so it did not sound like we were riding around in a bucket. I went a little past that. Since I was a kid I wanted to do a project like this and I am blessed to be able to do it with all your help. I cannnot understate how valuable this forum is and I am very thankfull for all of you and to Iboats.

Were not done yet!

drewp

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

That's truly inspiring work you've done there. Not many people can make an old boat look like it just left the factory like that. Super nice job!

drewpster

Commander

After I got the rest of the engine harness in my attention turned to the trolling motor. A couple of years back my wife got me a brand new transom mounted trolling motor. I made plans on where and how the battery and wires would go. I have a good idea where to mount an onboard charger for it. I installed a fancy motorguide receptical and plug. And then realized the troller would not work. :( The mount for the troller is pretty big. It simply clamps to the open space next to the outboard......if you have open space. My problem was that the steering arm that connects the cable to the tiller and the cable itself take all the room at the transom. After some head scratching I came up with a solution that actually makes it easier to take the troller on and off and fixes the problem at the same time. Ideas like that never happen for me, but this time it all worked out. I used a mount called a V-Lock.

V-Lock_Hero_small%20copy.jpg v-lock-insert-2-shot-store.jpg

The v-lock comes with straight or bent inserts shown in the left picture. The idea is to drill and mount your own stuff to it, or V-lock will sell you do-dads like rod holders and such. I mounted the V-lock on my transom where I wanted the troller to go, then drilled and mounted some 1/2 inch starboard to the insert. This setup raises the troller up higher on the transom and clears all the gear that was in the way. Wallah! Happy Drewpster and Ms. Drewpster. At first I was concerned that the insert would be to light to carry the force of the troller. After everything was in place I pushed on the prop of the troller with my foot to see how much force it would take. I was able to roll the boat and trailer with little deflection in the insert and no deflection in the mount. This is a tough mount and more than enough. I will add some pictures of the setup when my Camera comes available. Whoopie me! (this happends so infreqently, I want to enjoy it):p
Another benefit is that when the troller is not being used it is a simple matter of pulling a spring loaded pin on the mount and the whole shebang pulls out to be stowed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately, in my experience, transom mount trollers are a giant PITA. You'll spend more time steerin' than you will fishin'.

drewpster

Commander

For this boat it works well. I used one on it for several years before I tore it down. Reason being that there is no good place to mount one forward and the best place to cast is aft. I had a very old troller before, not near as nice as my new one. It sure will be better than the paddle I used years ago.:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Drew,

She is REALLY looking NICE!!! I have been watching your build ever since I came on board back in December of 09'. I know the feeling of how LIFE and get in the way of boat building. I have to SNEAK in a few hours here and there and it seems like I'll never get it done and I don't have HALF the issue you had. I guess it will all get done when it gets done. Life goes on!!!! Great JOB!!!! Can't wait to see her in the Water!!!!!

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep I feel ya on the taking a long time--started on mine a year ago!!! The wife used it as leverage to get the kitchen, bathroom and utility room redone. now I have to finish all of the honey doo'se befor I can work on the boat again.

drewpster

Commander

So I decided to go ahead and repaint the outboard. I first decided against doing it but I got over my laziness and pulled it back off the boat. Most of the original finish was still there. The paint was intact but dull and faded. The original decals were also a mess. After inquiring with my friends here, I located a company that made replacment decals because the originals were no longer available from Mercury. I found an original factory set, but they were very expensive. Sure I would have liked to have them but the bottom line is that this boat is far from factory at this point. The aftermarket stickers are very similar to factory with some very minor differences.
My first move was to start the prep by removing any parts that would facilitate masking and the parts that I would paint seperate from the engine.

DSC07898.jpg

The engine was reletively clean but degreasing was still in order. I started by cleaning everything with Purple Power degreaser. After years of use you can guess how much mixing oil was all over. Next I pulled the lower case apart and replaced the water pump impeller. Turned out the old impellor was in good shape, but there was no way of knowing without pulling it. I sure did not want to pull it after the paint job.
After getting things clean I cleaned the parts to be painted again with laquer thinner. This may be an unnecessary step but I was unsure about what residue may be left by the cleaner. Next....sanding. Did I ever mention I hate sanding?
I used 230 grit paper and lightly sanded everything until it was dull. This also removed and factory defects and generally smoothed up the surface without removing paint.

Next I used my cheap HB heat gun to remove the old decals. I like to use heat guns for this, I my experince its the best method to get old decals off. The trick is not to use too much heat. Start to peel an edge and only apply enough heat to keep removing. Too little heat and the sticker will stretch apart, too much heat and it melts it. I have tried sanding, decal removal sprays and scraping. Trust me, heat is best.

I tilted the engine up to expose the portion under the mount so I could get good coverage over all the exposed areas that I wanted to paint. I taped the shock and tilt rams carefully to prevent any paint from getting on them. *Be careful to garuntee no paint is left on any part of a hydrlic ram that can enter the cylinder. Paint left on the rams surface can damage the packing in the cylinders and cause them to leak.*

Now it came time for paint. I used Moeller Marine outboard spray paint out of the can in Mercury Phantom Black.

Engine-Paint-72dpi.jpg

You paint guys may be shaking your heads about this choice. I am not looking for show quality here and I have had good luck using rattle cans in the past. Before doing any spraying I did some cleaning around the shop and I was sure the boat was covered. I think overspray on the boat would kill me at this point.

DSC07892.jpg

I painted the smaller pieces first to get some practice using the paint. If I screw them up at least they are small and easy to sand off later. This paint sprays like any other rattle can I have ever used. Careful thin coats are best.

To be continued.

drewpster

Commander

One of the first parts I got painted was the hood latch that holds the two halves of the engine cover together. After some dry time and a final coat I applied the new decal.

DSC07896.jpg

After I felt confident with the paint I coated the engine cover and its related pieces.

DSC07888.jpg

I got the final coats on the bottom of the outboard after letting the mount pieces cure.

DSC07902.jpg

I applied the stripes and the rest of the decals using some water and a stiff spreader. They were easy to appy. I have some experience doing it on larger decals we use on our trucks, so these were easy. One trick is to use an empty clean spray bottle with a drop of dish washing soap or a little bit of window cleaner. It lubes the surface just enough to pull the sticker away if you mess up. It will also allow you to wipe out bubbles under the decal if they trap a little air. Do not use more than a drop or two of soap, too much and the decals will be ruined. Plain water is just fine on small decals like these. Make sure the spray bottle is clean, no contaminates or soap to start, then just a drop.

DSC07904.jpg

I'm glad I went ahead and got this done. I'm happy with the result. Again, its not show quality, but it will do fine on my lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.