Just Saying

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice
I had never had an interest in pontoon boats. I always imagined them being slow, boring and totally lacking in performance. Well, while on vacation down in Destin Florida we rented one for 4 hours to cruise the harbor, crab island and the Choctawhatchee Bay. Let me tell you, it was an absolute BLAST! There is so much room to just relax and have a great time! Ours only had a 50hp motor on it, but I was really surprised at how quick and responsive it was!
A week after we returned from vacation we bought a Sea Ray 220 Bowrider. It's a nice boat, but we've haven't has as much fun on it as we did on the pontoon in Florida. Maybe it has something to do with being in Destin Florida on the pontoon, but I will say never knock something until you try it! I'm wondering if I should have bought a pontoon instead of the runabout!

Few pictures of our trip!

35042_1542754970661_1288579710_1472140_988029_n.jpg

38271_1543118379746_1288579710_1472949_1095386_n.jpg

38271_1543118419747_1288579710_1472950_139845_n.jpg

38271_1543118459748_1288579710_1472951_3558844_n.jpg

38271_1543118539750_1288579710_1472953_6635023_n.jpg

38271_1543118579751_1288579710_1472954_622366_n.jpg

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Just Saying

Well, I just bought the Sea Ray 220. I'm wondering if I should have bought a pontoon instead of it. I like the Sea Ray, but we had so much fun on the pontoon in Florida.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you missed incoops point....:rolleyes:

INSTEAD OF, I think he is saying buy both:D

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice

OH!! LOL, that's not a bad idea! I wish!

TooBizzy

Cadet

I've had I/O runabouts most of my adult life and always said I'd never be caught dead in a toon. A few years ago, our closest friends bought a toon w/90hp outboard and from that point on my boat just sat on the trailer. We had lots more fun on the toon, because like you said, they had more room and were more relaxing. Last fall I sold my runabout and bought a Tritoon w/190 hp I/O. I will never look back! We love it! It has a double canopy that makes those 95? more tolerable. We've had over 30 of them this summer! I'm in the process of putting a swim platform on it that will make it even better.

I'd say your right, don't knock it till you've tried it.

BTW..Destin Florida is a great place to spend a vac. Did it about 15 years ago and have been hankerin' to go back. We rented a toon and checked out the harbor as well. I remember the dolphins that hung out there. Just like Flipper, they'd come up to the boat and talk to you! Great place.....

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had them all from 40 ft cruisers to portabotes. Own three boats now. The pontoon is far and away the best of all choices, with the exception of pokin into tight bass hidey holes. For that, the little Alumacraft is the boss but for EVERYTHING else the toon is the most enjoyable. Once you get over the go real fast stage of boating, than comfort rules. Thats toon territory. Just one old fart boaters opinion

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I think you missed incoops point....:rolleyes:

INSTEAD OF, I think he is saying buy both:D

That's right. I'm a silly boy. Seriously though, once you recover from the sticker shock of the Sea Ray you might at least consider it. Where I grew up many people would keep an older barge in a slip and trailer their fast boats to the lake. There are lots of barges to be had out there for not too much, especially if you don't need one that goes fast. Just food for future thought.

JCH57

Cadet

Toons are great !! I bought one 4 years ago, and have not have not looked back. Mines a 22' Crest Spot with a 60 hp merc Bigfoot. Only need a 18' john boat now for those hard to get to places to fish LOL.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That should be Sport, not spot:eek:

Look at this post padding:rolleyes:

Joking with ya. If you did not know, there is an EDIT tag you can hit and change or correct any of your posts.;)

I think I already welcomed you aboard, but if I didn't, welcome aboard.:)

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sold my first pontoon last year and regretted it the minute it left the driveway. I assumed the wife didn't like it because the last time we went out on it she was complaining about getting wet (were on a lake, duh) and being slow,etc. I sold it for a $1000 profit 8 months after I bought it and the first guy drove over three hours to buy it for full price. I didn't even get a chance to run the motor for him. He said "if you say it runs then it runs". I found out later that the wife started to miss the toon too. Fast forward to a month ago. I bought an old Super Bettle from a co-worker for $400 for my son to drive until he can get money together for a truck. We found a truck and the bug was falling apart at a rapid rate (what do you expect for $400). Anyway, I put an ad for trade on Craigslist and for giggles I put a pontoon as one of the items I would take as trade. I now have an old 20ft Playcraft and we use it atleast once a week and the run-about just sits in the yard. I guess what I am trying to say is, you can never go wrong with a toon. It makes a great family boat and if you find one with a big enough motor, they can make a decent tube boat.

JCH57

Cadet

I tried the edit thinggy, but it wouldn't post my correction. I'll try it again in the future when i mess up, which i usually do a lot LOL. Thanks :)

rogerwa

Commander

My boating world is almost perfect. I have a 25' pontoon with a 90hp which is enough for me and up to 16 others (though I would not want that many. I have 11+ but it was pretty crowded), a 16' Alumacraft (1961 Model) simple fishing boat with an indestructable '76 Merc 9.8 (sunk it three times), and a Yamaha gp760 waverunner.

What we do is take the toon out with the jetski and use the toon as a home base. The WR is big enough to tube behind. Sometimes my boys will trail us with the fishing boat so they can go fish somewhere while we bob on the hook.

With that being said, I dearly miss my Searay 17' i/o. I loved that thing. But I did say "almost perfect".

koberlee

Seaman

Party Barge is the way to go

We also take my dads pontoon out with every one and all the supplies and make it the base and then we use our boat and my BIL's waverunner to tube and play from the main boat.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

A pontoon combined with some other fast toys are the perfect combination for fun on the water. My first experience with this was in the early 80's with family that had a toon and bass/ski boat on a lake in Indiana.

If you RV, Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is an awesome FHU state park about 20 miles east of Destin. They have nice beach cottages there CHEAP, it would be a great place to vacation with your boat.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I really miss my old Bow rider. It had a 230 hp I/O. It was fast and pretty good on gas. I had it 15 years and Only had a problem one time I hit a log in the bay at 50 mph. Destroyed the lower unit. Now we have a 24 ft Pontoon boat. The only reason I sold my other boat was it was very hard to get into now that we're pushing up in years. Pontoon boats aren't that much easier but at least the do have a side door. I only wish that I had the 230 Hp in the pontoon boat.This baby would fly then..It's not slow with the 90 HP 2 stroke Merc. The most people I've had in the boat is five. I don't want a lot of people in my way when I'm trying to have a good time.

TooBizzy

Cadet

I guess I can pretty much say the same thing. :D I had a Wellcraft 210 Elite W/260 hp Mercruiser for over 10 years. I sold it to my son when I bought the Tritoon. So when I have the hankerin' to go-fast again, I make him take me for a ride!