My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
Re: My tri-hull transom replacement w/ pics

;)I ran out of paint before I could get the strip done around the outside of the hull. All of this was done with a single quart of paint. I blame my wife, she ordered the paint. (you did it honey, not me :p) But I have another quart coming Tuesday.

DSC06504.jpg

One major challenge when working with this paint is keeping dust and dirt out of it while it is curing. It takes time for the paint to cure and anything floating or flying (bugs) will get in it. I took great pains cleaning the shop out as best as I could before starting. I left a box fan on low blowing out of the room through a screened window in the back of the shop. My shop is built in to a hill so it stays pretty cool regardless of the out side temps. It was around 78 degrees in the shop when I did the job. The humidity was high as always in Tennessee but it seemed not to have an ill effect on anything. I kept the doors closed and only opened them to leave after I was done. There is a bare minimum of defects, but there are some. This is not a paint booth. The only way I could have done better would be to hang plastic around the boat and vent it somehow with a fan. I also considered making some filters out of HVAC filters to cover the open windows at one end of the shop. Then vent it by using box fans in the windows at the other end. My concern is that my filter system would not remove all the mess out of the air stream. I would end up pulling dirty air and dust all over it. Still thinking about it though.

Even without all the filters and fans I am pretty happy with the way it came out. I will have to sand this for the next coat but it will be worth it.:(
BTW! Another thing to remember with this paint is the induction time. Be sure you let it sit about 20 minutes after you mix it. As the hardener starts the reaction, bubbles form in the paint. You need to let these dissipate before you apply it. Even after waiting a full 20 minutes at this temperature I had plenty of time to apply half the quart. I only mixed on half a quart at a time. The paint started to get just a bit "sticky" at the end of the half quart. I think a whole quart would have been pushing it especially working alone.

DSC06506-1.jpg

If you don?t let it bubble out, it can bubble on the surface. Thankfully I did not have that problem on the cream. The blue was another story. But I got that fixed.

Overall we are very happy. I am looking forward to getting the final coat on. After that I am going to put another coat of gelcoat on the deck. Then I'm done!!!!! wait........ i still have to put the thing back together. Ahhh the fun continues.;)

drewpster

Commander

Thanks for the responses guys. It really makes a feller feel good. This has been a real job but I have enjoyed it very much. Hopefully UPS won't let me down and I can get this thing done. Did I mention I hate sanding.:D

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just finished reading this thread through. Awesome awesome work. I appreciate all the time you took to answer questions thoroughly. I can't imagine putting in the time/effort you put into making those sides gleam like that, but I sure do like looking at them!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
From where I set, it looks pretty darn good. Great to see the color going on.
Tell the wife, not to let it happen again on the paint.:p
I wish I could blame mine!! :(
You shop is making me envy you. 78 sounds pretty good to me.
Take care
Bob

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

How did you apply the paint? Is it gelcoat or paint? Looks fantastic!!!

Redfury-Water weighs 8.345 lbs. per gallon. Google it to confirm.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

looks great drewpster, got caught up on your thread. keep up the great work

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have really enjoyed reading and picking up great tips from you and all the other guys.One thing,if I may suggest,an old "poor-boy" trick to hold down dust--wet the shop floor with water hose--works great!! BTW, outstanding work!!dude11

drewpster

Commander

ITS DONE! Well all the paint and gelcoat is done and I am very happy with it. It was a huge challenge to get to this point. Finally done.......almost. I still have to figure out the mounting of the battery bank and the fuel tank. The rest of the work will be mostly rigging. I am so happy I am through sanding for awhile. At least until the big boat gets started. :D

The topside is Interlux Perfection Cream the bottom is Perfection Flag Blue. When we first selected these colors, I was unsure about the combination, but it really works well.

DSC06580.jpg

The gray in the deck was a compromise but I like it. The seats and interior pieces I want are gray and blue. There are really no other factory available colors that work. I could get the pieces custom covered but that is an expense that I did not want.

DSC06582.jpg

This is what you can get when everything comes together. These surfaces inside the hull were rough exposed roving with no fairing covered in gelcoat. After filling, fairing and painting (allot of work) all of the inside of the hull is smooth and looks great.

DSC06584.jpg

I went all out with this to learn as much as I could about glass, fairing and paint work. It has really paid off. With the help of my friends here and allot of trial and error, I have picked up just enough know-how to really get myself in to trouble. The next project is bigger, but the principles are the same. I am sure it will be an adventure.

DSC06585.jpg

The transom is such a big feature in the look of the boat in this dark color I spent some time getting it right. After filling it several times and blocking like crazy this is how it turned out. This is not a great picture but the reflection of the stool in front of it shows clearly.

DSC06588.jpg

I feel like I am tooting my own horn here a bit but the truth is I feel like I deserve it. This was tons upon tons of work to get to this point. I wanted to take it as far as it can go at my experience level and I think I did that. After all this I really appreciate the skill the professionals must have to be good at this. It took me hundreds of hours to get to this point. That must make the pros giggle a little. The guys making a living at this must really be talented. If I tried to do this as a business, I would be broke in a month!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

You definitely deserve it, kudos to you, it is awesome looking.
Bet with all that sanding, you don't need a winch, just grab her & pull... trailer flat? just pick her up with one hand and change it with the other lol :D well worth the effort...can't wait to see it all dressed up!

tallcanadian

Captain

Absolutely beautiful. Well deserved, well done, and perfect. Now don't scratch it..lol.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
Toot, Toot, Toot, Toot, away sir. You really have earned the right on this one. Outstanding work, she really looks great.
Now, get her done.:D:D
Great Job.
Take care
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks amazing. Can't wait to see it rigged.

redfury

Commander

I'll never get my boat looking that good...major kudos for the dedication...the interior is what you are going to see the most and it is just slick. Can't wait to see it fully outfitted with interior and motor. I bet it's going to be the classiest that boat has ever looked.

drewpster

Commander

Thanks again ya'll!

I am going to start the wiring and get the steering completed next. I have my gauges (teleflex cream faces w/ black bezels, sport style) And my wife has been picking up some do-dads as we go along, troller plug, battery switch, duplex marine wire. I need to come up with a fuse panel and a switch panel and some lights, but that should be easy enough. We are still fussing about coming up with the cash for the back to back seats. ($$$) but they will come. Hopefully I will be ready to splash it next spring. Pretty good for a project I intended to get done in a year. Its only been three....so far. :rolleyes:

im a little obsessive about things
drewp

BobsGlasstream

Commander

drewpster,
I'm a little obsessive about things
drewp
I find that a little hard to believe. :p
We aren't obsessive. :D
You do pay a lot of attention to details and your work shows it.
Take care
Bob

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

drewpster, it really looks great. you have every reason to toot yout own horn. Keep up the great work.:)

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

drew,

Simply B-E-A-utiful. You should be very proud.

What part of the river you on? I was thinking that I could float my barge down your way, dry-dock it in that amazing shop of yours and you could continue you're vocational education (if you feel you need to) on my old B'liner:D Just an idea..

emoney

Commander

Nice work and a great thread.:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Beautiful job drewpster. Gives me motivation to get going on mine. Keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.