my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

I also understand the looong drive seems the drive from the State line to Tampa is always the longest part of the Trip from here and its 12-13 Hours total drive.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev I understand I have a chance at a Holiday 18' really great deal but its not a super sport 21' . With the current economy I think I am going to hang in with what I have at the moment myself and work on them . We hit the 90's here this weekend and my phone should be burning up and its not :eek:. I am running service but not near what I should be in this heat although I figure monday morning the phones will go nuts ( nobody wants to pay overtime ) which is funny cause if they actually read my adds they say 24/7 no overtime :D.

Rick

I'd put that in bold on the top, sides and bottom of your ad! Thats incredible!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev HVAC is seasonal up here so when theres work to do I dont charge overtime for it . I spend plenty of time sitting around not doing much at all especially in the spring and fall . We opened the shop 3 years ago so we are stil building clientel . I figure I have 3 more years before I can go into semi retirement and play with classic boats and classic cars/trucks almost fulltime :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

24/7 down here bud! Ever shop for a Christmas tree and it's 80 degrees at night????

Guess as soon as I get something done on my boat I'll give an update, by the way.....

My schedule has me getting home, repacking and off again..I have been home less than 6 days this month, and never more than 3 days in a row.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev I miss the work available almost yearround down there sometimes but I love it up here and I think we discussed my last trip home for Cristmas on Christmas eve where I left here in a snowstorm in full winter gear at 6PM Christmas eve and got to Tampa at 7AM Christmas morning wearing shorts ,flip flops and a tank top :eek: now theres a shock to your system LOL. We were down there the beginning of April this year and it was already mid to high 80's durring the day :eek: . We were still in the mid 60's here . I guess I could teach you HVAC so you could stay home more and play with the " boats " :D:D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep thats right! If you ever come back this way let me know!
I'm 2 hours south of Tampa..

I appreciate the offer..but that almost sounds like work! lol besides at 44, I dont know how many new tricks I can learn!! (not boat related of course)

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev I turned 42 Last sunday I intend to be semi retired by 45 so I can enjoy life more and work less .

I will have to emember to PM you on my next trip south .

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well..This is my 1,000th post so I may as well post it here for a update, however lame it is..
Been on the road basically this entire month, currently outside Atlanta in Roswell, Ga. I have July 1st, 2nd & 3rd OFF WORK!!!

I am going to start this weekend however with..

Buliding the "boxes" for the helm & passenger seats
Build the doghouse, I have a cool idea that I think some of you may like..
Then on my vacation days...
New throttle & shift cables..Going to be some questions asked about those, so I need you guys!
Prep the topside for paint & paint her..
New Steering wheel
Try to replace the trim "down" wire..it's in really bad shape, broken with just a few inches coming outta the rear from the OD's unit..THAT may be a bigger issue than the cables...

I wont be wet July 4th..but sometime July, God willing.

p.s. My boss wants to come down and go out on her end of July..yikes! He has a twin $crew 30 footer up in Chi-town..No pressure there huh?:eek:

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev your schedule is even worse than mine :D. I at least get to stare out of the garage door into the dark at my boats at night :D.

Rick

jcsercsa

Captain

Man that stinks working so much !!! sounds like you got a good game plan thoe !! keep us posted on whats going on !! John

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Kev,

What did you use between the plywood panels to smooth the joint out?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev,

What did you use between the plywood panels to smooth the joint out?

Bret..

Do you mean the side panel? (see below) If so I can't help ya bud..It's the original panel, all solid 14 feet of it...

portpanel4.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He means the floor....

wrfalpacas, on mine I didn nothing. Just laid them and screwed 'em down. I used 3/4" and once the carpet was installed you can't even tell where the seams are. Still that way after 5 years.

Andy in NY

Commander

Kev, where did you buy your paint from? i know you mentioned you used rustoleum... what type? what did it end up costing you for it?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Andy..
Got my Rustoleum from Ace Hardware..19.99 a quart, used 2 quarts..
Stuff worked great, at least as far as I am concerned :D

The colors were Gloss White and Royal Sailboat Blue..Not marine Rustoleum, just plain old stuff...

Andy in NY

Commander

Hey Andy..
Got my Rustoleum from Ace Hardware..19.99 a quart, used 2 quarts..
Stuff worked great, at least as far as I am concerned :D

The colors were Gloss White and Royal Sailboat Blue..Not marine Rustoleum, just plain old stuff...

did you put a white base UNDER the blue? what kind of prep wirk did you do before painting? check your pm's...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I didnt really put a white undercoat for the blue, intentionally..
I knew I wanted to 2 tone her..I did paint MOST of her white, except for under the "chine" line..(Hope thats correct"

When I painted the blue, there were areas that had white underneath, towards the stern, for example..But forward, under the deep V, where the bow hook is, no. I cant tell any difference..The areas that had white under bubbled easier (due to being sooo smooth I assume) and had to go back over lightly with the roller to get the bubbles out.

For prep, I used up a couple of those sponge sanding "blocks" in about 220 grit..They worked well for the rivet heads and the chine areas..I just sanded enough to remove some oxidation and to scuff up the old paint.

Washed down with a some mineral spirits then a wet rag...Then a dry rag and paint! I was very very pleased with how easy it actually was...And how it turned out.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nothing at all..
I need to do the topside still and am seriously debating taping everything and shooting it with a rattle can of rustoleum, or going all out like North Beach and remove everything...May just tape and shoot with the rattle can.

Ezmobee did his topside with a metal flake rustoleum that looks great, if I can duplicate that then I'd be more than happy. You can see my "test" area on the topside of the stern on the starboard side...

On the stern, I taped over and rolled/brushed in the tight spots..But it isn't finished either if ya look closely at the stern there are spots I have to get..Will have to remove the speedometer cable and fitting for sure.

stern.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

im not sure how i want to do mine, i was thinking about the opposite color sceme, with grey on the bottom up to the about 8" from the top, following the lines of the hull. maroon from there up, but its the gunwales that i am the most concerned about painting. i really dont want to remove everything, so i will probably tape. but the gunwale is only about 4 inches wide, so getting a roller in there might be tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.