my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

wptomlinson

Recruit
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

I have a couple of Starchief's I am wanting to paint them. Did you do anything special for the aluminum or the rivets. I have heard that if you don't prep it correctly it will peel.
Thanks

Attachments

• myboat.jpg
    myboat.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome Aboard WP!
I'm your first post..thats kinda cool...

First off, I really dig that cuddy you have..I would love to grab one, maybe my next project..

On the paint..My old paint was pretty good..Yours seems in even better shape from your pic...

So since the existing paint would act as my "primer" coat..I just scuff sanded her, wiped down with a towel and mineral spirits, then rolled on the rustoleum....If I would have had to take her down to bare aluminum, then I would have had to use a alum primer coat before painting..

Please post a "Hello" in the Starcraft Owners forum..There is also a thread here for Starcraft owners to check in, we seem to be taking over the resto forums!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ugly day..rain threatening all day..decided to get a couple things touched up that I could do in the garage..
Painted the starboard panel finally...decided it was a "shelf" on the sawhorses far too long.....

SBpanel1.jpg

Did the control box as well...Not perfect but she'll do..

mercontrol.jpg

I leave for Nashville Monday..so I will be having withdrawel issues all week!
I better get something else done tomorrow!

Kev at least you got to play with your boat today . I ended up spending the day working on SWMBO's POND :eek: . These dang things cost more than boats LOL . I think theres $600+ already in it and another $200 tomorrow for more liner and another pump and a bio filter :D. Then theres pea gravel and more river rock to go around the outside of the pond ooooooh wait then theres the dang plants and FISH :D. I shouldnt get much grief from her after all this when I start dumping money into the boats :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Rick..
That sounds like WORK!!!!!:eek:

Your gonna be too dang tired to work on much of anything bud!

Last edited:

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev well at least I might be able to put the 60 Cutter in the pond to watertest it :eek:. The pond has 2 differant ponds with a stream between them and 2 waterfalls :D.

Rick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I leave for Nashville Monday..so I will be having withdrawel issues all week!
I better get something else done tomorrow!

It must be tough being a wanted felon/fugitive ...... leaves you so little time for the boat :p

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol...

Somepeople ask me on planes if I work for the Gov..

Maybe that big aluminum case I carry on makes em nervous?

Here's my CIA pic from South America..LOL

Attachments

• CIA.jpg
    CIA.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Staff member

You know you are addictted when you flash pictures of the boat to a customer before you show off the family :eek:

Yup, selling lights...... good cover story ;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

You know you are addictted when you flash pictures of the boat to a customer before you show off the family :eek:

Yup, selling lights...... good cover story ;)

In fact...lots of my customers get updates on my resto..lol

Yep...I'm awaiting Cuba opening and I will be sent there as part of my "sales territory"

Bob_VT

Staff member

Do they have electricity ???? :p I would have a hard time since I was a rebel in HS and when Mom said take Spanish..... I said okay and took German :) but, I did get to use it while I was stationed there twice.

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in Nashville,if you get withdrawals, I am planning to tab floors in Monday after work LOL

North Beach

Commander

OK KEV! I'm just in from 6 days livin in a tent in the bush. Took a loooonnngg shower ant htought I'd check in from the hotel lobby.

WHAT'S THE HOLD UP ON THAT DOGHOUSE?:D

Got five days of driving and I'll be back on the Ole Tub Resto! Man I can't wait!!!!

And I'll be pickin Ole Blue up in two days:D

Good job on the paint man!!!!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice paint on the control box, Kev. I think it looks great. so when are you getting her wet?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nice paint on the control box, Kev. I think it looks great. so when are you getting her wet?

Soon I hope...hafta buy the shift cables...get her REGISTERED (dope!)
But I can do it as an antique vessel here in FL for a whopping 4.75! nice...

I also think the minute she hits the water..all fixing activity will be put on hold...Like painting the topside...If I get her in the water, thats all I'm gonna wanna do and the paint will look OK for now, cuz I am having too mch fun.
Does that makes sense or did the cheese fall off??? :D again;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'm in Nashville,if you get withdrawals, I am planning to tab floors in Monday after work LOL

lol..if I didnt get in last night till after 11pm I may have taken ya up on that J.Mark!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Looking awesome Kev!

Throttle control and panel are killer.

The paint makes that boat look so sweet! Before and after shot! Wow what a difference!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bear! I guess when ya put em side by side it's hard to tell she's the same boat..Amazing what 30 bucks of paint and a little hard work can do..

68starcraft.jpg

bottompaint1.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok Kev I see your back in the sunshine state :D. Sooooooooo did ya put a hitch on the rental car or just leave a deposit on Lil Blue on the way home Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep..back home, was a long 10 hours from SC...

lol....I gunned it through Orlando.....:eek:

But checked online and she's still there..waiting..bet 300-400 would do it..but the same $$$ would go a looong way finishing up this one..

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev I understand I have a chance at a Holiday 18' really great deal but its not a super sport 21' . With the current economy I think I am going to hang in with what I have at the moment myself and work on them . We hit the 90's here this weekend and my phone should be burning up and its not :eek:. I am running service but not near what I should be in this heat although I figure monday morning the phones will go nuts ( nobody wants to pay overtime ) which is funny cause if they actually read my adds they say 24/7 no overtime :D.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.