Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Paint Update!!! Paint Update!!!

Received, minutes ago...Primer and Paint for the Bassassin...

Primer...

DSCF1959.jpg

Paint...

DSCF1958.jpg

Photo of color...

DSCF1962.jpg

Quality...I 'spose kinda up there...:rolleyes:
Dupont Marine Finish Epoxy Primer, and Dupont Marine Finish Imron Polyurethane Topcoat
Along with all the appropriate reducers and activators...

WooHoo!!! to say the least...

Actual Value...Pretty high!:eek:

Actual Cost...0, zero, zip, zilch, nada, nothing, nought, donut hole...:)

One MAJOR caveat, however...

I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect of applying a metallic Silver to the boat, since I need to do a roll/tip method...spraying is out of the question for me...I am going to do some additional research on how best to apply, but I may end up using just the epoxy primer, and top coating with something else...while I do appreciate the generous gift from my neighbor, I strongly feel that I will not even be able to close to a decent finish, with the metallic silver...at best it will come out splotchy and streaky...and although I am not trying for a show finish by any means, I don't think I could live with that kind of fugly finish on the boat...if you look at the picture of the small sample above, that was me doing a test with a brush, and you can see the effect...that is also only about an inch wide by 3 inches long, now multiply that by the size of the hull bottom, and you get the idea...

If it were possible for me to get it sprayed, I know the results would be outstanding to say the least, but like I mentioned, that is nearly impossible for me...

And, finally, to be totally honest, I was hoping to get away from all the glitter and sparkle...

I will report on what develops...

Till then, have a great hump day!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Haul the "BassAssin" up to OkieLand and I'll shoot her REAL purdy fer ya!!! WoW, that is some nice paint, but...IMRON really needs to be shot in a full Paint Booth with Air Suit. That is some nasty stuff. Primer is Really good stuff and will help fill any minor blemishes. What a Neighbor you got!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Haul the "BassAssin" up to OkieLand and I'll shoot her REAL purdy fer ya!!! WoW, that is some nice paint, but...IMRON really needs to be shot in a full Paint Booth with Air Suit. That is some nasty stuff. Primer is Really good stuff and will help fill any minor blemishes. What a Neighbor you got!!!!

Thanks for the offer, WoG!

Yeah, I know all about shooting Imron...been there, done that...unfortunately, a spray booth is not in my immediate future...:(

And, you bet...my neighbor is "DABOMB" what a guy...:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check the Yellow Pages. We have a DIY paint shop here in Tulsa that you can rent Daily, Compressor guns suits the whole works. Maybe somebody in FL. had the same idea as this guy.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Check the Yellow Pages. We have a DIY paint shop here in Tulsa that you can rent Daily, Compressor guns suits the whole works. Maybe somebody in FL. had the same idea as this guy.

There actually used to be a few places like that till the Gubmint stepped in and made it impossible for anyone trying to make a buck to keep places like that open...:mad:

I actually used them a few times in my youth, many, many moons ago...when dinosaurs still roamed freely...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, what an awesome gift. That Imron is some very durable stuff. As Wood said I also have a place to rent a paintbooth near me. I think it was only like 100 bucks to rent it for a day.

jbcurt00

Staff member

With all the Bassassin supply hookups of late, I reckon there's a rainbow about to start @the GT boat shed & land at a factory quality paint finishing booth/setup... I'm just saying, as long as it doesn't involve 'puter, Gus is the anointed one lately...:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Well I'm about maybe 5 or 6 hrs away . Your more than welcome to use my place . We would have to do a little better job of closing up the all the skeeter holes though ! I had one in my truck this morning I thought it was a seen from Jurassic Park !:eek:

bear_69cuda

Commander

Brutha Gus,

Man congrats on the anniversary !

Killer score on the paint wow!

Yeah not sure if you can roll and tip that... Needs to be shot... I bet some cool body shop will rent you their booth! Doesn't hurt to ask?

Peace!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice score on the paint... If we can troubleshoot computer problems, we can troubleshoot a creative way to get this sprayed...

I tend to agree that the glitter paint is sort of dated now and gives people like Jason a reason to make fun of us.... Plus, its prolly pretty hard to do right....

Just curious, I am assuming the neighbor that gave you the paint is not the same neighbor that put an APB out on you during the "great grinding conflict of 2011." If my assumption is not correct, you guys have come along way....

Look forward to seeing more progress....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

the glitter paint is sort of dated now and gives people like Jason a reason to make fun of us....

Who me?:eek: Well I never.......

OK, uh, once I may have made an off color comment about glass and glitter:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow, what an awesome gift. That Imron is some very durable stuff. As Wood said I also have a place to rent a paintbooth near me. I think it was only like 100 bucks to rent it for a day.

Thanks BN, yeah...Imron is the stuff they used on airplanes, back in the day...be a shame not to be able to use this stuff...:confused:...hmmmm, maybe paint the bottom of the boat to look like a "shiner"...they are sposed to attract a lot of Bass...

With all the Bassassin supply hookups of late, I reckon there's a rainbow about to start @the GT boat shed & land at a factory quality paint finishing booth/setup... I'm just saying, as long as it doesn't involve 'puter, Gus is the anointed one lately...

If only the pot'o-gold would suddenly appear on my side of the rainbow, instead of the other end...:rolleyes:

Well I'm about maybe 5 or 6 hrs away . Your more than welcome to use my place . We would have to do a little better job of closing up the all the skeeter holes though ! I had one in my truck this morning I thought it was a seen from Jurassic Park !

Thanks S.P., the 'ol brain box is still bouncing around a few ideas...I hate to go back on my word...I said I would make it work...we'll see...

Let me tell you, with all the rain and heat, even the 100% DEET is starting to look like BBQ sauce to them skeeters...

Brutha Gus,

Man congrats on the anniversary !

Killer score on the paint wow!

Yeah not sure if you can roll and tip that... Needs to be shot... I bet some cool body shop will rent you their booth! Doesn't hurt to ask?

Peace!

Thanks Brutha Bear, the Imperial is looking sweet...

Yep, past experience tells me that any metallics need to be sprayed and sprayed well, cause even spraying that stuff, if not done with a practiced hand, can lead to visual failure...

Nice score on the paint... If we can troubleshoot computer problems, we can troubleshoot a creative way to get this sprayed...

I tend to agree that the glitter paint is sort of dated now and gives people like Jason a reason to make fun of us.... Plus, its prolly pretty hard to do right....

Just curious, I am assuming the neighbor that gave you the paint is not the same neighbor that put an APB out on you during the "great grinding conflict of 2011." If my assumption is not correct, you guys have come along way....

Look forward to seeing more progress....

The towel has not been thrown in on the paint...yet...

And Jas can have all the jibs and jabs he wants at my expense...I can afford it now, since I got so much FREE stuff! BwaaaHahhahahaa!

Nope, not the same neighbor...this is the Marine Captain, who's 'ol Bayliner used to sit in my yard...unfortunately, it would be next to impossible to find out who threw the popo down on me...too bad, I would have loved to deliver the 'ol flaming stinkbag of poo to their front door...;)

Who me?:eek: Well I never.......

OK, uh, once I may have made an off color comment about glass and glitter:D

It's all good, bro...see above^^^...:p

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey GT,

Got your email. Replied.

Tell me, what is the reason you can't spray. Judging from a recent post, it may be your complaining neighbor. But if its access to a suitable compressor, I would propose that since we're only 35 or 40 miles apart, we could go in on a used one, do our spraying, and sell it afterwards.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey GT,

Got your email. Replied.

Tell me, what is the reason you can't spray. Judging from a recent post, it may be your complaining neighbor. But if its access to a suitable compressor, I would propose that since we're only 35 or 40 miles apart, we could go in on a used one, do our spraying, and sell it afterwards.

Sea ya...

Oops! sorry bout the email...it was intended to promote my point of view and I replied to your response with some very opinionated rebuttals, please, don't take it the wrong way, but I do feel very strongly about that subject and can be quite hard-headed about it...

Kind of obsessive, you might say...even on the verge of being extreme...:redface:

A million apologies if any of it sits the wrong way...

As far as the spraying goes, mainly the fact that I don't have a good place to get in out of the weather, and every bug and dust particle is bound to find its way on to the finish...

The very poisonous ingredients in the materials themselves preclude me from even attempting to spray this stuff without the proper facility and the neighbor who threw me under the bus the last time, would probably gather a mob on my property if they got a whiff of this...

I may yet have a solution, but whether or not it will be feasible...I have yet to determine...

Later,
GT

PS- again, sorry for the email rant...:redface:

Decker83

Commander

Congrats on the anniversary. Well done.
My wife and I or coming up on the 28th year this Oct.

The paint looks great. I like all the glitter in it. It is stylish to me. :D
Hope you can work out a place to paint the boat. It sure will look good.
It would be a real shame not to be able to use all that good looking stuff you have.
Best of Luck.

chriscraft254

Commander

Ok, playing the devils advocate here, you have landed sooooooooooo much expensive material for zero dollars. I guess your getting use to that because if it were me, I would be finding a shop that will spray the boat for you after you have it prepped. Spraying is usually the cheap part for body shops.

If you can find a guy that works at one, he may be able to do side work on the weekends using there facility. I have a friend here that does that. Just saying, spend some money already,lol :D The silver will look sharp and you could two tone with some other paint with out sparkles.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congrats on the anniversary. Well done.
My wife and I or coming up on the 28th year this Oct.

The paint looks great. I like all the glitter in it. It is stylish to me.
Hope you can work out a place to paint the boat. It sure will look good.
It would be a real shame not to be able to use all that good looking stuff you have.
Best of Luck.

Thanks Decker, and early congrats on your upcoming 28th...

Ok, playing the devils advocate here, you have landed sooooooooooo much expensive material for zero dollars. I guess your getting use to that because if it were me, I would be finding a shop that will spray the boat for you after you have it prepped. Spraying is usually the cheap part for body shops.

If you can find a guy that works at one, he may be able to do side work on the weekends using there facility. I have a friend here that does that. Just saying, spend some money already,lol The silver will look sharp and you could two tone with some other paint with out sparkles.

Yeah CC,

Naaaa, I'll never get used to getting free stuff, what are you kidding me???:rolleyes::p:D

I guess I am a bit superstitious and don't want to risk jinxing this run of super fantastic luck and generosity I have been receiving, but I'll let you in on a little secret...I am working on a plan...;)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oops! sorry bout the email...it was intended to promote my point of view and I replied to your response with some very opinionated rebuttals, please, don't take it the wrong way, but I do feel very strongly about that subject and can be quite hard-headed about it...

Kind of obsessive, you might say...even on the verge of being extreme...:redface:

A million apologies if any of it sits the wrong way...

As far as the spraying goes, mainly the fact that I don't have a good place to get in out of the weather, and every bug and dust particle is bound to find its way on to the finish...

The very poisonous ingredients in the materials themselves preclude me from even attempting to spray this stuff without the proper facility and the neighbor who threw me under the bus the last time, would probably gather a mob on my property if they got a whiff of this...

I may yet have a solution, but whether or not it will be feasible...I have yet to determine...

Later,
GT

PS- again, sorry for the email rant...:redface:

No worries on the email. I replied to it. Some would say I am just as passionate and extreme about it as well.

As I suspected on the neighbor situation. As for the bugs, I forgot for a moment you are painting. In my gel coat situation, I'll sand the bugs away.

Sea ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.