Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Have a good one GT!

Stay safe...drink a few....enjoy family...and friends!

Thanks for all you do for the community here too !!

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

GT boat is looking sexy :>.Keep up that good work man. I love how you put that iboats panel on the transom! I wish I would have done mine with something like that on it.

oh..... Hope ya had a happy 4th of July!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Gus,
Work has finally slowed down enough to give me a min on the boat and here on the site. I see you are leaping forward on Bassassin. Looking good ol’e buddy. Color is very hard to choose. I had just basic colors to choose from. I did not know how to mix and I agonized for days. How hot is your weather over there? We are unbelievably hot here in Fresno (well, it is the desert after all).
Check out the last few posts I did on my thread, (I had a little success) when you get time.
Have a blessed night my friends.
Dave

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nothing much to report...spent all day sanding the areas that I had filled last time...

Got 99.9% done...just a few places to touch up with a bit of fill and fair and maybe by next weekend I can try and get some primer on the hull...woohoo...

The only major news is that my neighbors came by and they suggested I use Marine-tex for my final fill and fair...

Even though it is an epoxy based product, since I am Painting and NOT gel-coating, neighbors and the information on the Marine-tex assure me that it will work fine...

It is also quite fast drying, works below the waterline, and sands like wood when dry...

The price for now, bottom-feeder-free...they had some from a previous job and gave it to me to use...

So I tested it on a section of strake, and sure enough, it seemed to work as advertised...dried after a couple of hours and sanded beautifully with some wood backed sand paper...gave me exactly the finish I am looking for, prior to priming...

I am fairly confident that it will hold up A-OK, since my Captain neighbor and Gabriel have both used this product on many a boat repair with zero problems...

Here is a pic of the area that I tried it on and sanded...

DSCF1950.jpg

Tomorrow, my plan is to use the Marine-tex to finish filling/fairing the areas that need it, and if time allows, later in the day, get them sanded down and ready for primer...

Hope everyone had a productive day, Happy Sunday!

Trooper82

Commander

Looking good GT!....excited about getting close to prime time?

get it?

lol

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey GT, Marine-Tex for free? You do have your ways.

Someone recommended Marine-Tex to me for filling screw holes. Researched it but haven't tried it. Manufacturer says gel coat (in my case) will stick to it. Glad to hear your having good results with it.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Not much else to report, other than I used up the rest of the Marine-Tex kit yesterday morning, filling and fairing...after I do some sanding, I might need some more, but I did get a large portion of it done with that kit...which, by the way, was a barely used 14oz. Kit when I got it.

Then, since the Admiral and I were sort of quasi-celebrating our 27th Wedding Anniversary,

I say quasi-celebrating, because Friday was our actual anniversary, but since we both had to work, I got home a little early and prepared a nice surf and turf dinner, dessert and wine for us, along with a box of chocolates...and since we didn't do anything "fun" on Saturday, she spent all day working on her fish aquariums and I spent all day working on the boat...

She had mentioned she wanted to go fishing...so, Sunday, we took off and headed for Everglades Holiday Park and spent the rest of the afternoon, happily casting the day away...

We didn't catch anything noteworthy, other than a nice relaxing enjoyable day away from the house...:D

Looking good GT!....excited about getting close to prime time?

get it?

lol

You bet...;)...some, I don't know who, might say I was born ready for 'prime-time'...:p

Just have a few hours left of sanding/filing/fairing and then hopefully be ready for it...

Hey GT, Marine-Tex for free? You do have your ways.

Someone recommended Marine-Tex to me for filling screw holes. Researched it but haven't tried it. Manufacturer says gel coat (in my case) will stick to it. Glad to hear your having good results with it.

Sea ya...

Some might say, "wicked ways"...:eek::rolleyes::)

The only reason I mentioned that it doesn't work with Gel-coats comes from what I read in the instructions...

Excerpt from Marine-Tex Epoxy Putty Instructions, #7..."Gel-coats do not adhere well to epoxy resins (like Marine-Tex)."

If all you are doing is filling screw heads with it, I would think that if you rough it up before Gel-coating, it should work...???

I would only be concerned if you were doing what I did, which is fill in large patches...however, if in doubt...I am sure the correct answer is somewhere here on Iboats...

Then again, you could skip it and just make up a small batch of creamy PB and fill them with that...WOG has an easy to sand recipe...

Anyhow, I hope all had a good weekend...Happy Monday! and Hurry up Friday!...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Somebody married you?? And for 27 whole years???:eek:

Oh man, may God richly bless that woman!:)

Just messin with ya, big congratulations to GT and Mrs. GT:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Somebody married you?? And for 27 whole years???:eek:

Oh man, may God richly bless that woman!:)

Yeah, I know, Right? Even I am amazed at her tolerance, above a Saint, more like an Angel...:)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Anniversarial congrats to you and the Mrs.

Coming along good, eagerly awaiting the big change to prime time. Did we ever get a hint of what color comes after primer?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Anniversarial congrats to you and the Mrs.

Coming along good, eagerly awaiting the big change to prime time. Did we ever get a hint of what color comes after primer?

Thanks TDF,

To be honest, I still haven't looked at the gift horse, yet...I guess I am going to let it be a surprise to all of us...:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Congratulations Mr and Mrs GT on your 27th Anniversary !!! Hopefully she will put up with you for another 27 or so ! :D
I wish you all the best ! S.P.

rrumba

Ensign

congratulations to you two........ oh and congratulations to you and your wife on the anniversary with many more to come :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sounds like a great 2 day celebration! Happy belated 27th!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congrats to you and the Mrs. coming to you from Ohio.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats on 27 years. Sounds like you had fun.

Further Marine-Tex Discussion - 2 things:

1) It was recommended to me for screw holes and for making/filling holes larger than the intended new screw to prevent water intrusion. So, if its very easy to sand, will it be strong enough to hold a screw?

2) Their web site said gel coat would stick. It may have said if used in small areas (screw holes) it would be OK. Dunno. I haven't checked with FGCI on their gel coat, but U.S. Composites web site says their gel coat sticks to poly or epoxy.

Anyway, you're painting.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congrats on 27 years. Sounds like you had fun. We Did! Thanks!

Further Marine-Tex Discussion - 2 things:

1) It was recommended to me for screw holes and for making/filling holes larger than the intended new screw to prevent water intrusion. So, if its very easy to sand, will it be strong enough to hold a screw? This stuff is supposed to be like super-duper better than JB weld...You are supposed to be able to drill and tap this material when cured...

2) Their web site said gel coat would stick. It may have said if used in small areas (screw holes) it would be OK. Dunno. I haven't checked with FGCI on their gel coat, but U.S. Composites web site says their gel coat sticks to poly or epoxy.
Yep, I gotta agree that the suppliers/manufacturers of materials would know better where and how there products work...if anything, contact Marine-Tex at 215-855-8450, or their website... www.marinetex.com

Anyway, you're painting. After a couple more hours of sanding/filling/fairing...you betcha...getting excited!

Sea ya...
Later...:)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congrats to you and the Mrs. coming to you from Ohio.

Sounds like a great 2 day celebration! Happy belated 27th!

congratulations to you two........ oh and congratulations to you and your wife on the anniversary with many more to come :D

Congratulations Mr and Mrs GT on your 27th Anniversary !!! Hopefully she will put up with you for another 27 or so ! :D
I wish you all the best ! S.P.

Thank you, gents! We had fun and hopefully I added a few years credit...;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Congrats, Gus!!!! Comin up on 40 for me and the Admiral. Don't know how she's put up with me that long.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.