Just starting out.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just starting out.

well i got some great news tonight i finally got some money $$$$ 1000 to get started on all of this fiberglassing so i will go and buy the stuff hopefully in the next couple of days . i will give them a couple days to put it all together so hope to have the material to start glassing by the weekend YEA!!!!!!!!!

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congratulations cant wait to see how it comes along good luck!!!:D

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is this how you plumb a live well? i am trying to figure out how to post the picture in a larger size? going to go play b-ball i will try again tomarrow.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lets try again
attachment.php
still not big enough

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally put some resin on the Transom:D I first drilled 3/8 holes (3 of them) in the transom to put dowels in to be able to put the transom back in the exact spot it was in so i do not have to fight it trying to get it back when i laminate them together.:p Then i resined the edges and one side of each piece.:D:D

Attachments

• THE BOAT 006.jpg
    THE BOAT 006.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1
  • THE BOAT 003.jpg
    THE BOAT 003.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 2
  • THE BOAT 005.jpg
    THE BOAT 005.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1
  • THE BOAT 002.jpg
    THE BOAT 002.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I got the two pieces of the transom laminated together. I used one piece of 2 oz mat to join them together. as I said before i used dowels in three places to keep the two pieces in the exact spot for laminating together. It worked perfectly as you can see in the pics. the resin oozed up through the drilled holes around the dowels to seal them up. I am ready to put the transom in tomarrow. i just need to cut out two pieces of mat to shape to laminate it to the hull.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 010.jpg
    THE BOAT 010.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 009.jpg
    THE BOAT 009.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 008.jpg
    THE BOAT 008.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 013.jpg
    THE BOAT 013.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi buddie....congrats on the next step....

before i install a transom........i "dry install it about 5 or 6 times to make sure i know i am ready to put it exactally in place with the wet glass .......the glass will tend to slide around on you...if it bunches up, it will need to come out and the glass be re flattened.
thats why i practice putting the new transom in several times before i glass it and place it.

also .... you are going to clamp or bolt the tramsom in after you place it........i allways bolt mine in and use angle iron as the cross clamps......if you do choose to bolt it to the hull skin......make sure that the fiberglass is allready cut for the holes.......if you drill when wet.....the glass will twist around the bit....causing the glass to bunch up.
a little pva on the bolts ensures easy removal after the install

cheers bud.....

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks oops! i will do that i am using clamps similar to woodonglass . i am using 2 layers of mat and will dry fit it several times. i am going to use pl premium to bed it in.
anything else to be aware of?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

nope....just practice first....practice tends to keep murphy out of the garage.....just make sure you get the bottom tight with out bunching up the resin weakend csm. its a real mess if the glass bunches up on you,,,,if it does.....take it off and throw it away....have another 2 pieces cut and ready just in case....you can allways use them else where

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great thank you i will let you know how it goes tomorrow. murphy better keep his ugly face out of my garage tomorrow.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the new transom is laminated to the hull:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSCN4361.jpg
    DSCN4361.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN4364.jpg
    DSCN4364.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN4363.jpg
    DSCN4363.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 3

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work. Coming back together now!

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you ez. now i have a ? regarding my stringers. when i go to lay them up is it ok to
put in a few short pieces (50" the width of my fiberglass) instead of one long piece.
I figure with a 1 to 2 in. overlap i can cut shorter pieces as the stringer gets smaller
at the bow end. instead of one long piece cut at an angle. (example 10 in. at stern to nothing at bow)
i have 13ft. main stringers so i was thinking just over three pieces overlapped ( makes for easier control of lay up i think.)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

some people call it a scarf joint......its true name is a lap joint....its in my thread.....

but what the heck are ya doin?????????

your transom is in....celebrate with a beer bud.......congrats !

redfury

Commander

I did that with the center stringer at the transom end, I was a couple of board feet short, but my center stringer is 2-1inch boards. I made a double scarf joint where I essentially tabbed the short piece into the larger piece. Glued and screwed and then glassed everything in. The glass on my 'tron is so thick back there that I wasn't worried about anything structural as far as the boat went, plus I glassed it in real well. The outer stringers I made out of single pieces since they were only 10ft long.

Really, it's up to you. Boat builders HAVE to join wood together on some of the boats because you simply cannot get the wood long enough. I'd advise against building the stringers out of lapped 2ft sections of wood though :D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

thank you ez. now i have a ? regarding my stringers. when i go to lay them up is it ok to
put in a few short pieces (50" the width of my fiberglass) instead of one long piece.
I figure with a 1 to 2 in. overlap i can cut shorter pieces as the stringer gets smaller
at the bow end. instead of one long piece cut at an angle. (example 10 in. at stern to nothing at bow)
i have 13ft. main stringers so i was thinking just over three pieces overlapped ( makes for easier control of lay up i think.)

Your talking glass and not wood right...

If so then yup..its fine to overlap the glass ( 15' of linear glass would be hard to work with ).

I try to overlap 5" .. with mat first..

YD.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i see now how i could have made it sound confusing. my stringers are already rough cut.
What i wanted to know is if i can use the short side of the fiberglass (50 in) with overlapping joints
instead of one long piece of fiberglass (close to 14 feet) to lay it up. in other words i want to use smaller
pieces of glass and not have to cut a 14 ft piece of glass in half to lay it up. i prefer cutting up 24 in. pieces off of a 50 in wide roll
then one 14 ft piece. sorry for the long explanation.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I think we were both typing at the same time lol..

Yes you can as stated above..

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

woah l........sorry.....hang on here.....

if you are using 1708........you have to go with the grain of the fabric.....

(yes.....of course...by all means overlap)

but when you cut 1708......you have to cut it so the weave follows the legnth of the stringers.....if not....the top of the fabric will fray and you will have a super mess..(it will pizz you off.....you will throw things..and say sailors words).
if you lay it legnth wize.....you will have no problems glassing it.

it all depends on how you cut it.

with csm it does not matter

redfury

Commander

I used 10 inch wide 1708 tape when I did my stringers, very easy to manipulate. Hard? Glassing over the floor!