Just starting out.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just starting out.

thanks for the replies however i am using 24 oz. woven on top of mat.my local supplier does not carry 1708 and
i can get woven for about 6$ a yd. thank you for the help.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok after a week I finally got back on the boat tonight for a little bit.:D
I got the transom resined on the bow side.
I then mixed up some PB mixture and put it in the corners.:)
I did this by mixing up my PB (resin,cabosil, and chopped fibers.)
then after mixing it i put in a gallon size ziplock baggie.
Then I cut out a corner and squeezed it in the corners
like putting on cake icing.;) Then I smoothed it out with the back of
several plastic spoons it worked out great.:cool::cool:
The lights are to keep it warm throughout the night.
I warm up my garage with a tube heater (diesel fuel) it gets it
nice and toasty before shutting it off before starting with my resin
don't want my house to go boom (my truck tried to do that 4 yrs ago) lol.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 001.jpg
    THE BOAT 001.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1
  • THE BOAT 004.jpg
    THE BOAT 004.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
  • THE BOAT 003.jpg
    THE BOAT 003.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 002.jpg
    THE BOAT 002.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a glass guy but that looks pretty good to me. Your tabbing should lay down nicely over those fillets. Nice work.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys I got the first 2 layers on the transom.
1 - 2oz mat and
1- 24 oz. woven roving.
I will put 2 more on on wed. then the transom will be in and
all I need to do is trim the edges. It is coming along.

Attachments

• THE BOAT 001.jpg
    THE BOAT 001.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 003.jpg
    THE BOAT 003.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • THE BOAT 002.jpg
    THE BOAT 002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi dallen.........

looks good. ( i hope you are using unwaxed resin)

the pb looks good but i would add more mini fibers next time. but the ziploc bag idea was great.

all in all......looks great bud

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oops! Yes I am using unwaxed resin. on the chopped strand I will use more next time
thank you. I only plan on using waxed resin on my last lay up on the topside deck.
when I get to that point. tomorrow one more lay up of mat and 24 oz. woven.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I did not get to work on the boat for a couple of weeks.:mad: We had a family gathering.
So my wife decided it would be a good idea if the house and garage were aired out.:eek:
So today i finally got some time to work on the boat.:D I put one more layer of each
2 oz mat and 24 oz woven. I wrapped the sides of the hull about 20 in. on both sides with one piece. In other words on the transom I put one piece of mat that went from about one side of the hull (about 20 in. up the side )back across the transom and around the other side. so about an 10 foot piece of of mat and 10 foot piece of woven. The guy I bought my stuff from by doing this it should give the transom some more strength by pulling more from up the sides than just the corners. I will post some pics. hopefully tomorrow.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I have a question for anybody out there willing to answer this. as you look at the picture there are 2 seats next to the splashwell I would like to cut out this area (along the back of the seats) including part of the splashwell. I am then thinking of putting a bench seat in this area for more seating. also it would give me more access to the bilge area and battery and a better livewell access as well. please tell me what you think. i realize I will need to glass in to build up the splashwell. a rough measurement will give me about a 16 in deep (front to back) splashwell. I really like the idea as i have not seen to many outboards with seating next to the splashwell like this.

Attachments

• DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I finally got some time (and good weather) to work on the boat.:D It has been a very long time since being on here. I finally got the 4 main stringers beddded in with PB I will soon be taking a full week of vacation to work on the boat.:D my plan is to have the stringers including the keel stringer all bedded and wrapped in glass.;)so when vaca. comes I will be able to focus on getting the tank in the deck on and glassed and the electrical all done. I want to be able to put in the water at the end of vaca. upholstry may not be ready but the boat should be ready to put on the water minus a new paint job that will have to wait until next winter.

DSCN4533.jpg
DSCN4532.jpg
DSCN4536.jpg
DSCN4531.jpg

emoney

Commander

You're making progress, regardless of how much time it takes. What's the plan for power? Do you already have an outboard?

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes I have a 73 135h.p. Rude. had it worked on before teardown I know it runs good PO rebuilt one of the cylinders.
after we bought it I took it in to have it worked on and to get it running. it cost us just under 6 bills and it is good to go when i am done.
one of the cylinders compression is lower than the others but hopefully it is the one that was replaced and will improve with some running time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DA,

Don't forget to coat the stringers with resin before apply the mat and Woven Roven. If you don't the wood will suck the resin out of the mat and make a bad bond. FYI it's easier to precoat them and put the first layer of mat on outside the boat. Then all you have to do is overlay the woven after they are installed. No matter you can still do it, just give them that coat of resin and pay close attention to the top edges. HINT: If you have a Trim router take a 1/4" round over bit and round over the corners of the top edges of the stringers. Makes it easier to wrap the woven over the top. You can also Pre Crease the woven befor laying so it will behave better. You don't want to have that many issues once you have the resin mixed.;)

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THE BOAT 015.jpg

THE BOAT 017.jpg

THE BOAT 014.jpg

thanks wood I do plan on coating them with resin first I just needed to get them in. i need to put a 1/4 in. piece on top of each of them.
i do not have allot of clearance for the gas tank fill neck. ( put a level across stringers with tank in very little room.
will put on the pieces then resin then start glassing. (the bottoms of the stringers did get coated before bedding them in).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good!!! Just checkin. Watch out for air bubbles with that woven. It can be a BEAR sometimes.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it can i had a couple in the corners of the transom that i still need to fix. somebody on here may know the answer to this but there is a thread on here where someone used plastic sheeting on the hull before pouring his foam does anybody remember this thread?

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks wood this guy had pics of him pouring the foam with the plastic sheeting against
the hull and stringers.then he poured the foam before the deck went on using a piece of ply with
plastic wrapped around it to keep the foam from expanding
above the stringers.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks wood that is exactly what i wanted.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I made some progress today on the boat.:D I am taking the week off of work for vacation and dedicating it to the boat. Today we got the keel stringer cut and resined ( along with the others) got it PB'd in. Also cut what I believe are the bulkheads:confused: to size.and PB'd them in as well.
BOAT 004.jpgThese two bulkheads will hold the tank in place.:cool: I had some brackets welded on the tank that will go over these and will get bolted in place this allows the tank to be suspended above the hull below the deck and not get in the water. my tank is only 20 gal. so the brackets are 1 1/2 in aluminum channel wich will give it room for the glassed bulkheads and then bolt them in place so it will not move side to side also there is enough room for the tank to contract and expand with heat. I also got the first layer of tabbing in with 2 oz. mat on all the stringers.
BOAT 010.jpg you can see the brackets here in this pic. The plan for the rest of the week is to finish tabbing and capping the stringers tommarow am am going to try and pour foam if time allows. ( I am helping my neighbor replace his camper jacks that ripped off his camper last fall as well 2 big projects at once wow!!! ) if I can get the foam poured tommorow then I will put the cap back on to size up the deck and get the deck pieces cut and ready to put in on wed. thurs. I will get the deck in place or friday at the latest. I hope all will go well and I can get this thing on the water by end of month.:D:D

Attachments

• BOAT 009.jpg
    BOAT 009.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1