Just starting out.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just starting out.

ok almost done grinding the old stringer areas all out.:cool: maybe a couple of more days depending on weather, and work. ran into a small problem while grinding i hit a spot with the grinder and went through.:mad::mad: the spot i hit is where the stringer will be going so i was wondering if i get the new stingers all in and glassed then flip the hull to repair this small hole ( the size of a pinhead) can i put in some fairing compound at this point and then paint it?:confused: i was planning on flipping it and repainting it anyway (with automotive paint) should i be ok doing this?

tallcanadian

Captain

It's better to repair the hole from the inside. Especially while you have it all torn up. Do your major part of the repair inside, then when you do flip it touch up the outside damage. No real big issue with a small hole.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you tc i was thinking the same thing. the hole sits right in the groove of where my stinger is. i believe it is called a chine but i am not sure. it is one of the grooves that is has a near 90deg angles on the underside of the boat will try and post a pic of it here real soon.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some pics. also the part up front with line all around is where my deck is potentially going based on where the original deck was on the sides. the original build had the glass area built up a good 2 inches with the deck on top of that and it did not attach directly to the hull. so i was thinking of just running the new deck along the sides all the way up to the front which would put it above this mess so i am hoping i can get away with not grinding all of this. (except the foam and cleaning above a little for glassing).what do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN3293.JPG
    DSCN3293.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3295.JPG
    DSCN3295.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3297.JPG
    DSCN3297.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1

tallcanadian

Captain

As far as the hole goes, that's nothing. Fix it from the inside and be done with it. Piece of cake. Now your deck. You can do what you said, if you don't mind losing a couple of inches of side depth. You can also run your new deck up to meet that area and leave the old area alone. To get all the old stuff out you will be grinding for days. lol. Just remember, it's your boat, you do what you want. :)

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks again tc i hope that i wont lose that much space as i have already cut some of the glass up in that area. i hope when the floor is level that it is a little above all that mess. i am going to put the cap back on after grinding so i can get a good line for the deck. there is a part of the cap that sits directly on the deck up on the bow. (where your feet rest when sitting).

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i have been away for awhile:( the weather here has not been really good for working on the boat:( and my garage is an absolute mess with tools and kids toys. but i am finally done with the major grinding.:D i have finally cut he transom to fit and am now waiting to get the glassing materials to start glassing it in. i have a ? regarding the top of the hull. i have been trying to pull all the old rivets out w/pliers and have alot of difficulties doing so so i have decided to just take my die grinder to them when i am finished i want to add a piece of stripping wether it be wood or something else for ss screws to attach to when putting on the cap. so i guess i am asking for suggestions thanks for all who read and reply.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i have a question about resin i am just curious as to how much resin coverage you should get per yd. of cloth? hope people will read and post thank you

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

As far as adding wood to be able to screw the cap in, I wouldn't suggest doing that. I would be fearful that that wood would get wet and start rotting and the cap come flying off as I was cruising down the river. A little overdramatic, I know, but it would be a fear in the back of my mind. I plan on reattaching my cap with bolts instead of rivets. Just a thought.

As far as resin coverage, it depends on what weight of mat or cloth you are using. If you go to uscomposites.com, they tell you how much resin you need per yard for each material.

I am using 50"wide 1.5oz mat, which they say uses 32 oz of resin per yard and 7.5 oz cloth.... which I just noticed it doesn't say how much resin it uses. LOL Oh well.

I've never fiberglassed before, but from what I've read, you just saturate it until the mat or cloth is clear. That's what I'm going with anyways...

Looking good on the rebuild. I'm right where you are at, done with the grinding and getting ready to put the transom in. Going camping for a week though, so the boat gets to get neglected. Poor boat.

redfury

Commander

My 1975 has strips of plywood riveted to the hull for the SS screws for the cap to bite into and there are no signs of rot anywhere...if anything, the wood is too dry! Held my cap tight for 30 years, I think furring strips would work just fine...just make sure you use plywood with exterior grade glues. Coat them with something to water proof them if you want, but every screw/rivet going into them would have to be drilled and sealed too....way more work than needed for something above the water line.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks you guys for the advice. red i agree that is what i thought of doing however on the front of the hull i have the rounded front end that i dont know if firring strips will bend that far without breaking? i will give it a try hopefully soon. i just got my garage cleaned out and the boat put back in so i can level it out and get ready to work on the transom and stringers.

redfury

Commander

They should make the bend okay, as long as it isn't really sharp. In that case, you just simply use two strips and leave a gap since you most likely won't need it there to back up any screws anyway. That's what Glastron did on the bow of my boat where the curve was sharp. I should take pictures of that I suppose.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks red i also thought about using the vinyl lattice strips knowing they would not rot at all. Also i finally got a little work done on the boat the other night. got the trailer all level ready to start getting things going for glassing. post some pics as soon as i can get the time to get on it. this weekend is out it is my anniversary so no boat time this weekend.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are a few pics all ready to go with the transom and stringers.:D need a few repairs on the keel.:) and are there better rollers for the bow at the hook up than this?:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN3325.jpg
    DSCN3325.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN3335.JPG
    DSCN3335.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN3326.JPG
    DSCN3326.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN3324.jpg
    DSCN3324.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN3329.JPG
    DSCN3329.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 2

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i am starting to feel like i am making some progress.:D the other day i got off early so went to a friends house who has a very nice table saw and cut down my ply to 12" pieces. took them home made lap joints and glued them with pl premium. ( i made 2 16 ft pieces) yesterday i cut them to 12' and set them in the boat and scribed the hull to them.:D so now i have 2 12' rough cut stringers. as i stated in the beginning of this thread my mom and i got this boat together for the family. our agreement was that she would pay for everything and would do all the labor of restoring.( still not sure who got the raw end):D;). she needs to wait to find out how much a jazzy chair for my dad is going to cost before we can put more money into the boat. ( dads health is declining rapidly):( so as soon as we get that done i can get all the materials to start glassing. so up to this point my transom is cut to fit and i have the 2 main stringers rough cut waiting to glass in the transom so i can fine tune them before glassing. pics to come soon hopefully this evening.:D another project i will have when my dad gets his chair is to raise the floor in my parents home all across the main level so my dad can get around. so many projects not enough time or money all at once to do them.

tallcanadian

Captain

I'm glad your build is going good. Sorry to hear about your dad. Keep plugging away. It will all be worth while.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks tc here are a few pics

Attachments

• DSCN3338.JPG
    DSCN3338.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3339.JPG
    DSCN3339.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3340.JPG
    DSCN3340.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 1

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok it has been along time since i have posted anything but i do have a question for anybody out there. I am getting nearer to starting back on the boat and had a ? about the keels and protecting them. a thought came to me the other day about maybe putting a rhino lining coating where the keel guards would go as the keel guards are expensive what do you people think and has anybody tried it?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For a little over 100 bucks..keel guard it..IMO..

YD.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

with the tri-hull it would take 3 keel guards and here in Ut. I see the guards going for about $130 for a singlr 4ft piece that is why i was wondering.