Is there ever a GOOD bayliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is there ever a GOOD bayliner?

I understand, but in this case, I'm looking for newer. Old to me says early 90s and back. I'm looking for something less than 10 years. While I know condition and upkeep are the key to looking at any boat, I'm just wondering what brands would carry more weight and therefore better ride in choppy water. I'm not looking for high end boats though. we all have a budget. :)

haulnazz15

Captain

That's exactly the situation I'm facing. 25 year old boat. do I spend a bunch to completey restore inside, or buy newer and maintain better from the beginning. I feel like the quality of the larson is good because of how well it rides in the water. I guess what i really need to do is test drive the newer ones to get a sense of just how they ride. I guess that's really the only way i will know for sure.

Truth is, older boats do pretty much everything the newer boats do. The ride hasn't changed much (there's only so much you can do with a standard V-hull). My '76 runs about the same speeds, holds the same amount of people, and rides as well as any modern boat. I could spend $20-30K and find a nice late-model runabout, but I really wouldn't gain much in terms of value since I currently get the same things from the old boat.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

That's exactly the situation I'm facing. 25 year old boat. do I spend a bunch to completey restore inside, or buy newer and maintain better from the beginning. I feel like the quality of the larson is good because of how well it rides in the water. I guess what i really need to do is test drive the newer ones to get a sense of just how they ride. I guess that's really the only way i will know for sure.

If you are handy, it won't cost as much as you might think.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Except in time - which is the precious thing during a short boating season

Very true. Definitely a winter project. Mine took a little longer than I planned and I lost a season.

I have seen a few guys do it pretty quickly over in the restoration forum.

briangcc

Commander

I owned a '99 Capri 1800 LS (bought it new) and the only thing about it I didn't like was that POS Force engine. Once I tossed a Honda 115HP on there, it was a very good boat. The only reason I got rid of it was that my family was expanding so I needed more room for the kiddos otherwise I'd still own it.

IF Bayliner offered Volvo power, I'd seriously look at them for the next new purchase.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Truth is, older boats do pretty much everything the newer boats do. The ride hasn't changed much (there's only so much you can do with a standard V-hull). My '76 runs about the same speeds, holds the same amount of people, and rides as well as any modern boat. I could spend $20-30K and find a nice late-model runabout, but I really wouldn't gain much in terms of value since I currently get the same things from the old boat.

Yeah, right now I've pulled the head to replace the gasket on the 3.7. I'm saving about $700 doing it myself. I don't mind adding sweat equity to the boat. just don't want to put more into it than necessary. My next step is to repair the leak around the transom. I was told that the transom is hollow and needs to be replaced. That will mean pulling the motor and outdrive, etc. At the same time, knowing the floor and stringers are not in good shape, I was thinking I'd gut the boat and then have someone rebuild it. I'm thinking the glass work is beyond me, but expecting it will cost about $2k to have someone replace it if I've got it down to the glass. On top of that, I expect there will be some parts to replace in the outdrive to get it in the condition I want, so there will be parts expense there. I'm estimating that I have to put about $3000 into the boat to get it the way I want (I'm a bit of a perfectionist), but could go as high as $4000. I'll do all the work I can to keep cost down, but in the end, trying to decide which way to go. My tinkering/project side is telling me to do it, but the practical side is saying no. I do the same with my motorcycles. I just replaced the entire front end of my Kawasaki Concours with one from a ZRX, and the rear with a Meanstreak so that I can have full suspension and run modern 17 inch rubber. I'm not afraid to dive in and learn, but there's a lot about boats that I'm not familiar with, so hesitant to do it.

haulnazz15

Captain

Understandable. There's always the cost-benefit analysis that could be done. I was in the same situation two years ago. Since I would have to drop a minimum of $6-7K to find a boat of the same size/powerplant, I figured dropping $4K to rebuild the transom and put in a new engine would be a break-even for me. In addition, I'd have a boat that I already knew all of the quirks/characteristics of. The only reason I'd upgrade my runabout for a newer one is for the interior design/walk-thru transoms of the modern boats. The benefits of the new boats don't justify a $30K+ outlay for me personally.

I understand the dilemma on the 3.7L though, as it's a less desirable engine option.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

from the research and talking to others, the 3.7 can be a good motor, but takes proper care and attention. Getting the temp gauge working on this boat is at the top of the list. Other than that, changing the impeller regularly to maintain water flow for cooling is key. The good part is the lake I am on is not TOO big and I have friends close by too. If I were to see the temp going up, I could shut down and call them for a tow. That would avoid the head blowing. I do still have some problems that I believe are carb related that need attention. it's very hard to start. I may replace the starter as well, just to be sure the starting system is in top shape. Good news is the charging system is solid.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

from the research and talking to others, the 3.7 can be a good motor, but takes proper care and attention. Getting the temp gauge working on this boat is at the top of the list. Other than that, changing the impeller regularly to maintain water flow for cooling is key. The good part is the lake I am on is not TOO big and I have friends close by too. If I were to see the temp going up, I could shut down and call them for a tow. That would avoid the head blowing. I do still have some problems that I believe are carb related that need attention. it's very hard to start. I may replace the starter as well, just to be sure the starting system is in top shape. Good news is the charging system is solid.

Mine runs great. The only breakdown I have had was caused by a loose battery cable -- hardly a 3.7 problem. It is a little hard to start when it is hot, even with a rebuilt carb and new starter.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine runs great. The only breakdown I have had was caused by a loose battery cable -- hardly a 3.7 problem. It is a little hard to start when it is hot, even with a rebuilt carb and new starter.

Interesting to know. As I am out with the tube and the kids some, I generally stop and re-start. I wonder if it will cause me problems in the long run? The carb stuff is step 2 on the list after getting the head gasket done. I'll probably have that done before deciding on the glass work.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

It always starts, it is just a little harder than when it is cold. You just have to be more particular with the throttle. I am guessing there is something wrong with the choke and it is coming on during starts even when the engine is warm.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm just wondering what brands would carry more weight and therefore better ride in choppy water. I'm not looking for high end boats though. we all have a budget. :)

Well there is a positive correlation between the 'high endness' of a brand and its weight in the target age you are seeking but don't forget the hull design and the deadrise has an effect as well. Some hulls you will see have a foot or two less fiberglass at the running surface while others running surface goes all the way back. That is huge when you are dealing with our tiny sub 20 footers. In other words you can have an 18 foot boat with the running surface of some 20 foot boats. All boat manufacturers have some spicy marketing name for their hull and they've been doing that forever. My sig boat calls it the "Extended V Plane" meaning the running surface goes all the way back. Some less expensive boats that may not have the heavy dry weight may have a longer running surface however. My old Bayliner calls it 'Sequential Lift Hull' and have no clue what that was supposed to denote. A hull picture in any boat ad and you can see what I mean by the short vs long running surface and the Deadrise will be found on the internet for any particular boat. The steeper the better in general.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It always starts, it is just a little harder than when it is cold. You just have to be more particular with the throttle. I am guessing there is something wrong with the choke and it is coming on during starts even when the engine is warm.

From my little bit of experience with it so far, that's what I've found. When starting cold I have to give it some throttle to start. When warm and I try to start, I have to give it even more throttle, almost like overcoming a flooding situation in older cars. I'm used to my previous OMC that I primed with about three pumps, but would start and idle with no additional throttle.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Mine idles great after the carb rebuild but still the flooding type issue when warm. I will post to the engine forum later and see what I can find out.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well there is a positive correlation between the 'high endness' of a brand and its weight in the target age you are seeking but don't forget the hull design and the deadrise has an effect as well. Some hulls you will see have a foot or two less fiberglass at the running surface while others running surface goes all the way back. That is huge when you are dealing with our tiny sub 20 footers. In other words you can have an 18 foot boat with the running surface of some 20 foot boats. All boat manufacturers have some spicy marketing name for their hull and they've been doing that forever. My sig boat calls it the "Extended V Plane" meaning the running surface goes all the way back. Some less expensive boats that may not have the heavy dry weight may have a longer running surface however. My old Bayliner calls it 'Sequential Lift Hull' and have no clue what that was supposed to denote. A hull picture in any boat ad and you can see what I mean by the short vs long running surface and the Deadrise will be found on the internet for any particular boat. The steeper the better in general.

I had originally thought "deep v" is one that has a taller hull. found out it's the amount of deadrise. very good to know and look for! :)

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine idles great after the carb rebuild but still the flooding type issue when warm. I will post to the engine forum later and see what I can find out.

Mine is rough idle until it warms up and having some choking/sputtering/backfire when cold. I have a small amount of that on warm starts too. that's why I want to get the carb looked at.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I've heard people say to stay away from bayliners when considering a new boat. Is there ever a GOOD bayliner? Can anyone enlighten me as to what is "bad" about them? I've heard they are cheaply made, but what does that really mean? I'm a novice when it comes to boats. prices of bayliners are certainly attractive, but want to understand better what their weaknesses are.

I should probably clarify here too. I'm thinking of modern boats, something more recent than 2000. Seems the 2000 to 2004 area is priced in my range from 8k to 10k. Don't want to discount going older though for some of the higher end brands.

...and please...I'm not trying to offend any bayliner owners. just trying to get a good idea of them.

I think it's like Chevy verses Lexus or any high end vehicle. There is nothing wrong with the Chevy just because it cost less, and it will get the job done, but the Lexus has all the extras and a little better fit and finish. I Own a 1989 Trophy and love it, cost was way better than the same year whaler or Mako and I have no complaints. After all these years it is still as solid as they come. I'm sure there are exceptions in any make out there. I kind of look at it like a bunch of guys hanging around and talking about anything, even chainsaws, you are going to have those that are going to put down anything that they don't own one of, or justify spending more on what they have Vs. the deal that the other guy got. Just like Bayliner getting a bad rep. but I still see a lot of them out there, not like the lakes and waterways have their bottoms littered with these things LOL :) and I have had a bow rider from the mid 80's and now this center console and was and am, happy with both. It also depends on your wants and uses for the boat, if you are going to charter the thing out everyday rain or shine and go deep sea fishing and pound some heavy seas, then you might want to spend more money on your boat, if you are just going to play around every now and then save your money (not implying that bayliners can't take the pounding). I repair vehicles for a living and buy high quality tools because I use them everyday, but for around the house I have lesser expensive ones because they do the job just fine for when I need to tighten the belt on the mower once or twice a year, who cares if they don't have the triple chrome plate like Snap-on. Bayliner put out a lot of boats in the 80's time frame aimed at the middle class folks and cranked them out quite quickly and like anything you do that with, fit and finish will suffer some and they also didn't use as much stainless to keep cost down, but even then the Hulls were fine. this was the 20 ft and under class of boats I'm talking about, but because of this, you will always hear the riff raff out there on Bayliners, regardless of the quality that they turned out years later. Quaker State oil comes to mind as another company with an overstated bad rep.

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wish i still had my 1993 2255 ciera once repowered with a VP 4.3 GXI and duo props it was great little boat, yep not as classy as some
certainly not as expensive as some, but then i didn't buy it to impress anyone.

i upgraded to a 32 footer and seriously missed the manoeuvrability of the ciera, and now I've down graded to a 17 foot bow rider.

sick of the expense of moored boats and now getting set up for retirement.

short answer all boats are good/bad depends on what you want and how its maintained, and how you want to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.