Is there ever a GOOD bayliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Is there ever a GOOD bayliner?

I'll one-up you....I owned a Chevy Vega. :D

You are right, and I guess that's the reason for my thread to understand if Bayliner or other brands have that much difference in quality for modern models. I realize they are not the mercedes of boats, but wondering if they are the yugo of boats.

I'd say they are more like the Ford Taurus of boats. Not the newest Taurus with the twin turbo v6, but the vanilla ones of the 90's up to the previous generation. The difference I think is that in the small bowrider class there really isn't a Yugo equivalent and the Taurus would be the bottom of the heap. Taurus wasn't a bad car. Let's say you are looking at early 2000 to say 2009 small bowriders, the easiest way to see where a boat stands is to simply look at the boat's dry weight. The nicer and more expensive the boat, the more the dry weight if they have the same engine. Even though you can't discern the build looking at a hull, there are telltale details that come on more expensive boats. Simple ones are a dedicated anchor locker, not one that takes up where a cooler would be in the bow. Also pull up the sunpad on a boat with sport seating and see if it has compartments made of hard plastic material for storage or are there just nets or worse nothing. There are a bunch of little things too that will tip you off if you don't know the lay of the land. Newest boats are getting heavier where even an inexpensive Bayliner has a decent weight.

oldjeep

Admiral

Not sure why you guys want heavier boats for lake boating. The one comment I do get a lot with my Bayliner is how much power it seems to have (3.0L). After doing as you said and looking at the dry weights I can see why they would say that - some of those boats are pigs in the weight department.

My 2005 195 classic - 2091 lbs

vs almost 3000lbs for most of the other 19ft runabouts

My father inlaws 20ft v8 inboard ski boat only weight 2400lbs, so I can't figure where they are packing all those pounds into the runabouts.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Not sure why you guys want heavier boats for lake boating. The one comment I do get a lot with my Bayliner is how much power it seems to have (3.0L). After doing as you said and looking at the dry weights I can see why they would say that - some of those boats are pigs in the weight department.

My 2005 195 classic - 2091 lbs

vs almost 3000lbs for most of the other 19ft runabouts

My father inlaws 20ft v8 inboard ski boat only weight 2400lbs, so I can't figure where they are packing all those pounds into the runabouts.

There's just a huge difference in ride quality and the overall boating (actual underway) experience ignoring all the extra details that make up that extra 1000lbs. I've got lighter boats too (including a Bayliner) and even an extra 300lbs of build weight is noticable.
They aren't just putting bricks of concrete under the floor to get the extra weight and simple physics dictate heavier ride is a nicer ride albeit a slower one. Regarding lake boating, a nicer ride remains a nicer ride regardless of lake size. Some of the weight is just a bunch of extra details likely your Bayliner doesn't have so not all just a heavier hull.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ride quality is important to me too. the 87 larson I have is 19 feet instead of 17 of my previous one. it is also a deeper v. I'm loving the improvement, but I'm at the point of having to spend a great deal on repairs, and am considering newer boats instead of spending more on this one. :(

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

boats cost money. if their new, its a few hundred a month for payments. if their used, its a few hundred a month for maintenance and repairs.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

boats cost money. if their new, its a few hundred a month for payments. if their used, its a few hundred a month for maintenance and repairs.

Knock on wood, but I definitely don't put hundreds a month in, and most small boat owners don't! This year I've had to replace a gas tank($100) and a battery. Hopefully that is all!

Last year I spent $800 on maintenance items and one repair.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Disagree, one time cash payment for the boat plus a couple hundred winterizing/eoy maintainance and one tune up in 9 years that was needed 100 hours earlier than scheduled. The multiple trailer tires have been more of an issue than the actual boat. Point being some boats cost a few hundred a month in excess of their operating expenses and some don't. Can't broad brush it to that extent or you'll scare all the newbies off. An old project boat and money will be the least of the issues as to me time is more important.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'll one-up you....I owned a Chevy Vega. :D

Cosworth or Yenko Stinger? :facepalm:

Linda was driving one of those POS Vegas when I met her. OMG- even the millions Chevy spent on advertising with the car mags couldn't wipe the egg of Motor Trend's face when they 'voted' it Car of the Year.

(sorry for the hijack- that was a memory I couldn't let pass)

SDSeville

Lieutenant

The smiles on my kids faces being dragged behind the boat are every bit as big as the guy with a $80000 Cobalt and I don't feel like throwing up when I bump the dock...

Very True!!

I had a 2005 Bayliner 185 with the 3.0. I paid around $18k for it new and we really loved it. The ride was a bit rough because it was light, it creaked a bit in the really rough stuff, and the plastic grab handles all cracked after a couple summers under a cover. Other than that it was a really great boat for us.

When the economy went south, I had to sell the 185 (could,'t afford the payments at the time) and buy back an old 1986 Sea Ray 19' Bow Rider I had sold a friend years ago. I have done almost a complete restore on it (transom, stringers, deck, upholstery...) and have had it back on the water for a couple years now. Even though it is 19 years older than the Bayliner I had, the Sea Ray just feels like a more solid boat. It rides smoother, is better in the rough stuff, has significantly more power (even with the the dreaded 3.7), handles better (has power steering while the base level Bayliner did not), more storage, has many stainless fittings where the Bayliner had nylon or plastic and and is just overall a more solid boat.

As I said, we really loved our Bayliner and I wish we still had it. However, you do give up a little on the overall build compared to other brands.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry but two things would keep me from even looking at a Bayliner.

One--- your looking for a boat your going to keep for a long time. Your'll have to live with the nickel-dime stuff that's not there or doesn't hold up for the life of the boat.

Two--- it's a buyers market, So you can get a better quality boat for a good price and have a boat with all the little things that make all the difference over time.

oldjeep

Admiral

One--- your looking for a boat your going to keep for a long time. Your'll have to live with the nickel-dime stuff that's not there or doesn't hold up for the life of the boat.

What is your definition of a long time?
Have you ever owned a Bayliner that wasn't pre-abused?

I don't buy used cars or used boats anymore because of previous owner syndrome. Its worth a few bucks to get the vehicles new so that you can take care of them properly.

DB Cooper

Cadet

Two--- it's a buyers market, So you can get a better quality boat for a good price and have a boat with all the little things that make all the difference over time.

Definitely not a "buyers market" in that size with that price range...at least not in the Southeast. Sub 6k...yes, above 15k...yes, but the 6k to 15k bowrider of a reputable brand is the hotzone right now. Very few out there, and good ones go quick.

I agree you can definitely get a better boat going to a mid to late nineties, but you may have to accept the fact that it may take a little time in finding it. Since he already has a boat, time should not really be an issue.

oldjeep

Admiral

Definitely not a "buyers market" in that size with that price range

x2 around here - 17-19ft used garage boats are going for a premium here in MN. Economy is still down some but the weather has been the best I can remember.

My junk pile a few days ago ;)
IMG_2026.JPG

jkust

Rear Admiral

x2 around here - 17-19ft used garage boats are going for a premium here in MN. Economy is still down some but the weather has been the best I can remember.

My junk pile a few days ago ;)
IMG_2026.JPG

Looks nice but sittin low. Its got the rounded windows not the old school ones that they I thought the went back to in later ones. Like the Jolly Roger. The bigger the boat (over garage storage size) the better the deal in the used market.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very True!!

I had a 2005 Bayliner 185 with the 3.0. I paid around $18k for it new and we really loved it. The ride was a bit rough because it was light, it creaked a bit in the really rough stuff, and the plastic grab handles all cracked after a couple summers under a cover. Other than that it was a really great boat for us.

When the economy went south, I had to sell the 185 (could,'t afford the payments at the time) and buy back an old 1986 Sea Ray 19' Bow Rider I had sold a friend years ago. I have done almost a complete restore on it (transom, stringers, deck, upholstery...) and have had it back on the water for a couple years now. Even though it is 19 years older than the Bayliner I had, the Sea Ray just feels like a more solid boat. It rides smoother, is better in the rough stuff, has significantly more power (even with the the dreaded 3.7), handles better (has power steering while the base level Bayliner did not), more storage, has many stainless fittings where the Bayliner had nylon or plastic and and is just overall a more solid boat.

As I said, we really loved our Bayliner and I wish we still had it. However, you do give up a little on the overall build compared to other brands.

That's exactly the situation I'm facing. 25 year old boat. do I spend a bunch to completey restore inside, or buy newer and maintain better from the beginning. I feel like the quality of the larson is good because of how well it rides in the water. I guess what i really need to do is test drive the newer ones to get a sense of just how they ride. I guess that's really the only way i will know for sure.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry but two things would keep me from even looking at a Bayliner.

I can't afford to put a great deal of money into top end boats, but are there brands that anyone could suggest that would be viable options for me?

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks nice but sittin low.
You think that is low, its a runabout not a battleship;) I guess low is a relative thing, the nose on my FIL's comp ski boat sits about 3" off the top of the water at idle.

oldjeep

Admiral

I can't afford to put a great deal of money into top end boats, but are there brands that anyone could suggest that would be viable options for me?

Brand is irrelevant when looking at inexpensive used boats. Take someone with you who knows boats and can assess the condition.

jkust

Rear Admiral

You think that is low, its a runabout not a battleship;) I guess low is a relative thing, the nose on my FIL's comp ski boat sits about 3" off the top of the water at idle.

I know what you mean about some of those ski boats. They look like they would take on water from crossing a small wake.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Brand is irrelevant when looking at inexpensive used boats. Take someone with you who knows boats and can assess the condition.

Yeah the order of operation for shopping for older, inexpensive boats is different from newer boats. The first challenge of a glass, old boat is to just find one that is completely rot free, maybe with a few exceptions in this scenario, brand isn't the big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.