hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

thanks rob and greg......now i just gotta find a bathroom scale that woll hold a couple of tons...:D :D :D

and mike ....i own a furniture and appliance store...so im really busy at work most days from 10 -6 pst......after work every day that i can, i go work on the boat till one or two in the morning......

i try to be home by 11 pm....(yeah right)...but sometimes fiberglass doesnt alow you to do that.

tonight i would be on the boat but my local hockey team is in a do or die situation...so im gonna take my mom to the game.

but it will be an all day sunday boat day. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and btw mike ...looking foward to seeing your proj

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok i bedded the stringers tonight and got them all tabbed in place.....

ill post picks tommorow

oops!

Supreme Mariner

finally reached a milestone on the project last night.
i got to bed in and tack down the stringers.
its a milestone because it marks the end of the fabrication of the interior hull extension secton.

the stringers need to go in and "lock" the hull in place before i can remove the exterior braces and extension mold.

after the mold comes off...the farring begins....more grinding :(

the first thing i had to do was to "v" the main stringer so it would conform to the hull. the grinder made quick work of this job

picgroup23005.jpg

the two outer stringers were angled off to the shape of the hull

picgroup23006.jpg

even tho the stringers will be embedded and fully incased with fiberglass i still wanted to coat the bottoms with resin...a total of three coats were used....once again on a slow kick to ensure the resin would saturate the wood.

picgroup23008.jpg

picgroup23007.jpg

while i was waiting for the resin to kick...i fired up the wood stove....then climbed in....swept ...vaccumed the hull and acetoned the areas where the stringer bedding material will make contact with the hull.....

(i cant count how many times ive swept and vaccumed that hull)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when your working by your self...you need three extra arms...so you come up with all kinds of crazy ideas to get the job done...in this case, i had to suspend the stringers off the deck a quarter of an inch and also make sure they were straight and vertical.

picgroup23009.jpg

this little rig ...while not perfect, did the job.....
im only placing the main stringers tonight... two more will be added crossing the extension section. and then two will be added where the hull meets the gunwhale over the extension section.

the remaning stringers were attached to the rig and bedded with pl 9000.

the 9000 was applied to one side...and squeezed under the stringers

you can see here the stringers are angled to meet the transom....i will be leaving the vertical height at the back to "knee" the stringers.

picgroup23011.jpg

at this time...im not worried about the height of the stringers.....i will be cutting them down before glassing them in place....obviously...when cut down...this will give me the deck height....

after all was in place ...made straight and bedded......i used small strips of matt...one on each side to "tack" the stringers into place.....i did not want to fully glass them into place as the pl needed to cure.....so they will be glassed in after they are cut to size.....

picgroup23015.jpg

picgroup23013.jpg

the job tonight is to remove the supporting rig.....snap a chalk line to give me deck height.....cut the stringers to height...ruff and scuff the hull where the glass will be attached...acetone it...then glass the stringers in.....should be good for another 2 am job!

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is great watching you build that thing!

I am gonna be installing stringers here this week too.
Hey, on the ruff and scuff-
spent all that time grinding and now have to ruff and scuff!
What's the technique? Seems like when I grind it gets smoother, I am using 36grit sand blaster disc's,
and shoot-I didn't ruff-n-scuff before putting that Keel patch on!
May 1st- the Grinding Stops!

I have picked up sooooooo , many tips from you guys.
Erik, Coors, Ondarvr, FixB52's ---- List goes on and on, dont know where I would have been without this Forum.
Thanks

Lund

And Let me know if I am screwing something up.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Is there just 3 stringers running the legnth of the boat? And the PL product you are useing, is it pl poly adhesave? You keep saying PL 9000 whats that? In your pictures it looks like the Polyurethane Construction Adhesive by PL that i used. I dont know what PL 9000 is. The stuff i been useing is this http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-10-2-Ounce-Polyurethane-Construction-P73948125/dp/B0002YVJG8. Is this what you are talking about? And one more thing why are your stringers so tall and thin? Are you going to put another piece of ply on each stringer? They seem kinda skinny. Everything looks great though! I cant wait to see your boat with the cap back on!

steelestandn

Seaman Apprentice

Everything looks great man! If a boat guy can read this and not get inspired to start a project of his own he should probably check his pulse. I cant wait to see more. lol

erikgreen

Captain

Interesting thing to note about the PL adhesive... it's supposed to belong to a small family of "water hardening" adhesives, like 3m 5200... so to speed up hardening, a quick spray of water is supposed to work.

Haven't had a chance to try it myself...yet :)

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

erik i heard that too...actually read it on the tube....might try it tonight....

i just stoked the wood stove again and turned on the big double air blowers i got there....:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ruff and scuff!
What's the technique? Seems like when I grind it gets smoother, I am using 36grit sand blaster disc's,

ruff and scuff is used when the resin has reached a full...(or allmost full) cure...im anal, so anything after two days i rough and scuff...sometimes you can go a lot longer...(ondarvr said as much as a week even longer)......this just to rough up the outer layer of resin.....done very quickly...get rid of the shiney stuff.

after that....just sweep...vaccume and acetone...then your ready for the next layer of glass.....

ruff and scuff is uasually used when doing large sections that cannot be acessed easily......that means you have to wait for the resin to cure because you must climb on the freshly glassed areas to acess the rest of the glass job......

i origonally made a "bridge" that i could lay on to glass the whole section at once.....but canned that idea after two layers.

:) and this forum IS super isnt it ! :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup andy thats the stuff...pl preimum or another product called pl 9000...either one is super....and cheaper than 5200 by far....the 9000 is avalable here in canada...im shocked you dont have it down there....its standard shelf stock for the home reno centers.....

the strings are standard 3/4 pt ply...they look skinny cause there 20/ feet long!..im going to add another 2 -8 foot sections from the transom thru the extension section...then another one each side glassed to the hull at the chine......that will be 7 stringers........all the main stringers will be kneed to the transom...

ill also be beefing up the main long stringers at the engine section as per robjs suggestion

cheers
oops

JustJason

Vice Admiral

good god would you look at all that corona in the background... to bad you don't have a lime tree in your back yard!! :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

doesnt take long capt !...when the boyz come to visit....the bring a 12....10 visits and...!!!! im rich!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have a small fortune in framing lumber, i could have built a house with all that. But, it look like a really good job.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you have a small fortune in framing lumber, i could have built a house with all that. But, it look like a really good job.

thanks td.....yeah there is a lot of wood there....im just re using all the stuff from the first set of side braces we built. i scrapped the idea and went for the thredded rod. the hull was not physicaly attached to the braces, so the hull was prone to movement...

btw...some of my buddies are framers so they bring me the good scraps as well

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay buddie , looking good !!!!!! hay how much of the PL 9000 did you use ?? think I will get half of what you used !!! john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hay buddie , looking good !!!!!! hay how much of the PL 9000 did you use ?? think I will get half of what you used !!! john

heh heh heh...3 large tubes....i just squirted that stuff under there.....you can see i wasnt goin for the beauty look in that segment...heh heh heh

when i glass thoes puppies in ...its gonna be solid....the glue is just there to keep the strings off the hull....

man im really tired....dont know if im gonna work on it tonight.....but i cant afford another day off it.....each day it is closer to the water

well see in a half hour....mabe some of that 5 hour energy stuff.

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

hay buddie I could bring you a cup of coffee ??? lol cool 3 Big tubes means i need 2 !!! yea you got to get moving when you got to be out of there ??? Get to work !!! lol hay did your team win the other night ?? John

redfury

Commander

Looks good, thanks for the picture update. I was in my boat this week just looking again to see what I had gotten myself into. I'm a little bit concerned at the scope of it, but I think my first priority is to get the keel stringer replaced, and if I can get that done, I think I'll have found my motivation to keep going.

I gotta take baby steps, but if I do, and keep taking them, I'll have a finished boat before I know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.