hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizeOne

Commander
Just Curious....

Just Curious....

....why you are just using 3/4" instead of 1 1/2" in that big ol' boat? My lil' 20 footer even has three 1 1/2" ers.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

the next thing is to take the 24 foot lond stringer and cut it to the shape of the hull.......

normaly...you can use the old stringer as a template.....but mine were to rotted and with the extension section.....it was a new hull area.......so...how do you make the shape of the inside of a hull?.....

a post and scribe method was used....this is a simple "old school" method

where you suspend the wood to be cut, away from the hull, and take a post......(broom handle in my case).....and scribe the shape on to the peice of wood.....

picgroup22073.jpg

the 2x4s that support the rig were measured for center...and 3/4 ths of an inch was subtracted......and posts were attached (vertical) to support the wood stringer.......
the stringer was suspended off the hull in the exact place it was going to be placed......

the next pase....take a broom handle.....measure the largest distance between the hull and stringer....and draw that line on your broom handle....
that line is where you hold your pencil.......

next take your broom handle....hold it vertical .....place one end on the hull, hold the pencil on the line.....and trace the hull......

(i would have got a pic of this being done...but i was kind of busy)

picgroup22074.jpg

that line is just about an exact shape of the hull.....it does not need to be perfect as you bed with peanut butter or the bedding compound of choice....

a jig saw was used to cut the stringer shape on the 24 foot stringer...

and it was test fitted....

picgroup22075.jpg

this whole process took just over an hour....

picgroup22077.jpg

as you can see it was a perfect fit.......

the next phase is to bed the stringers and glass tack them into place.....

im not worried about stringer height at this point......the height of the stribger will dictate the deck height.....so after the strings are in...i will calculate where i want the deck......(because of the extension bow deck height will change.....this is because the craft will tend to float stern down)

i will need to "guess" how much the bow will be higher and lower the bow deck appropreatly to keep the deck level at the waterline.....

once i calculate this......i will snap a string line on the stringers and cut them at the desired height........

in normal boat rebuilding, stringer height can be precut, as you have the old deck height as a reference...in this case its not possible.....

ill be bedding the stringers tonight.....(i hope)....with more updates tommorow!

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

in boat building, the manufacturers used just about anything.....some even used rough cut old pallets......

3/4 ths, was what was in there....i was going to laminate 2, 3/4ths togeather...but im starting to get worried about the weight factor a little.....
plus ill be adding a second set of 8 foot stringers thru the extension section...
with another 2 peices on the gunwhales thru the extension section.

however.....I KNOW...the fiberglass is just about as strong as steel....so with a good glass job...it will be the equivelant of a 1 1/2 inch string......

yes...even with good ol poly resin..! :)

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as the weight factor.....

ive used 6, 5 gallon cans of resin.....100 yards of 1.5 oz matt....and just shy of a full roll of the big bi ax cloth...that roll was so heavy it too a dolly to move.....:eek: and im still not done !

im hoping to keep the weight about the same as an average 24 footer...give or take a few hundred pounds

erikgreen

Captain

Good work on the scarf joint... I didn't need to extend my stringers, but if I did I wouldn't have gone to that much trouble. Sure looks pretty, though :)

It's starting to come together for you... really interested to see how this looks once the deck is on.

Erik

Coors

Captain

If you set the saw to whatever depth, then cut it every 1/4", or whatever leaves enough to keep the saw table level, very little chisel work.

WizeOne

Commander

......(because of the extension bow deck height will change.....this is because the craft will tend to float stern down)

i will need to "guess" how much the bow will be higher and lower the bow deck appropreatly to keep the deck level at the waterline.....

I'll betcha dollars to donuts that your new center of gravity will be proportionally the same or slightly behind that of the original.

Robj

Lieutenant

My stringers were 3/4 inch pine, I upgraded to 2 pieces of 5/8 pt ply laminated. If that was my boat, I would beef up the engine stringers from 3/4 inch ply, probably even double them up. Remember you are moving a heavier and longer boat with significantly more power. Over engineering is not a big problem, except for weight, while under engineering is a big problem. Just my opinion.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

wize...ill also be adding a much larger motor in the craft......

in order to counter the weight difference...im enlarging the gas tank...(bow mount) and moving the single battery from the stern to the bow....and adding another one or two !

WizeOne

Commander
Uh Huh!

Uh Huh!

in order to counter the weight difference...im enlarging the gas tank...(bow mount) and moving the single battery from the stern to the bow....and adding another one or two !

.....just be sure to relocate the anchors to the rear. Wha? 350 to 454, or 302 to 351?

erikgreen

Captain

If I remember, he's going to a 383 stroker from some kind of 4 cyl?

454 would be nice, but they're so dang heavy. SBC in a 383 is a nice weight/power ratio.

One thing about putting the battery in the bow, I was warned that batteries don't like a lot of bouncing... so maybe consider some kind of shock absorber?

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

My stringers were 3/4 inch pine, I upgraded to 2 pieces of 5/8 pt ply laminated. If that was my boat, I would beef up the engine stringers from 3/4 inch ply, probably even double them up. Remember you are moving a heavier and longer boat with significantly more power. Over engineering is not a big problem, except for weight, while under engineering is a big problem. Just my opinion.

Have a great day,

Rob.
yeah rob...i can beef thoes.......just sister some on.....but im gonna lay a heck of a glass job in that area.....im also keening the strings to the transom.....

and i had a 4 banger in there.....but swapped it to a 4.3 two seasons ago.......now its gonna be a 383/with a penta drive

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as the batteries......i still havent figgured out how to get around the bouncing problem......but, come to think of it....back when i was a dj for clubs, we suspended turntables with surgical tubing.....it was bounce proof....if i use enough of the stuff.....or berhaps an air bag system.....but there still gonna get thrown around alot what ever i use....

hafta cross that bridge when i come to it

Hondo65

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may want to consider some Optima Marine batteries or another AGM battery. They are supposed to be more shock resistant than regular Lead Acid batteries. Just a thought.

Like others on here I check this post at least a couple of times per day to check on your progress. I am learning alot and I like to watch other people with more patience than me work.

Hondo

Robj

Lieutenant

Now I am not sure about where the longitudinal center of gravity should be on a boat. But if you were to weigh the hull from 2 points, the rest is easy. We do it for logging trucks all the time. This way you could figure out, roughly, the optimal placement for the fuel tank and batteries. My guess is that you will not need to move them that far ahead. But that is just a guess. If you are interested we can discuss it further, but you are still a ways away from being ready for that.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually rob...im not that far away.....in the old rays...the gas tank is in the bow....the floor (deck)....is stem to stern.....in the bow...(forecastle).....there is a secondary raised platform above the floor....approx 1 foot above...angling down to 6 ins at the bow......this is the gas tank support...(i was gonna put the batts in the void space)

so all i got to do is put the deck on and im at the tank support place....

so im very intrested about finding cg of the craft !!!!

so what is it you do with logging trucks?...how exactally do you calcluate that bud?

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....i was back at the craft last night.....

i wanted to check the hull for hook or rock before i bedded the strings...then bed them......

my father (who was in belieze for two months) dropped by the boat....so instead of working we has a super little reunion.....

but we did check the craft for striaght......its bang on.....

as expected...the exterior of the hull needs farring and some work....but the tell tale stringlines looked good on the planing surface.......
and the top of the hull cross corner was bang on.....(kinda like erikg's diagram on another thread).......

my hockey team is playing tonight...so i wont be back on the boat till sunday.....on sunday...i can bed the strings...and glass tack them in on a fast cure. and cut the deck height.....i hope to get that all done in one day

Robj

Lieutenant

so im very intrested about finding cg of the craft !!!!

so what is it you do with logging trucks?...how exactally do you calcluate that bud?

cheers
oops

With vehicles, center of gravity (c of g) plays a big role in their dynamic characterics. With logging trucks you have a heavy load, which is relatively high making it tippy or less stable, which effects the handling. There are things that can be done to improve the handling despite the high load. I imagine that c of g location plays into the handling of a boat as well, but probably to a lesser degree. To find it is very easy, you just consider the boat as a beam with loads. Take moments about a point and you can find you reactions and your c of g.

If you wanted to find the c of g of the hull, just support it at two points and measure how much weight each of those points is carrying. Then you theoritically add the weight of your engine, fuel tank, batteries etc and determine where your longitudinal c of g is. You can move things fore and aft to get it where you want it to be. If you are interested, there are other ways as well, that may be a bit simplier, but regardless you have to determine the weight of the hull.

Have a great day,

Rob

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops,

Awesome story on your extension. I can't wait to hear more. I was just wondering one thing? What do you do for a living that allows you so much free time to work so hard on this project? I am a Firefighter in Fl, I thought I had a lot of time off. Then again, I do get side tracked easily. I am currently trying to restore a 1999 18' Mariah that sunk in salt water. Engine and drive are ok, both run and work/shift properly. The boat needs to be completely rewired and the interrior is completely trashed. Tomorrow I am going to start rewiring. I will start a thread and show pics of the progress for anyone that is interested.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.