hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

If you've got them in B.C. you can get 5200 at home depot for 7 bucks a tube US dollars. (small tubes)
Hey oops... just curious. Was the layup front to back part of the original plan. Or did you decide to do it to help minimize hinge points?
Any shots of the outside of the boat where the extension was done?

we have home depot here...ill run over tommorow and price check.....

i havent pulled the mold yet as the stringers are not in...as soon as they are... off comes the mould and the farring starts......i will be doing a detailed photo shoot of the mould coming off...i hope by next week.....i wont pull the mould before the stringers are in because if the boat moves...then i put them in......:eek:

as far as the total hull layup.....it was not part of the hull extension idea....

i did a lot of grinding in the hull. i was concerned about strenght issues.
so a layer was a natural thing......i also like the idea of the long surface connection area between the new glass and the old hull

i really mad a myself for not going to work on it today... but an oz of prevention......

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

we have home depot here...ill run over tommorow and price check.....

If you have a walmart, they started to carry it too. They have 4200 and 5200 between $6-$8 (I can't remember exact price but I think 5200 was cheaper then 4200)

jcsercsa

Captain

Colds suck !!! soo sorry buddie !!! hay the way i took it when you said get some cabsial [sp] I took that as what i should use to bed the stringers in ???? or is that just for the transom?????? Hope you feel better !!! John

Robj

Lieutenant

im just a wee bit leary of the peanut butter rob....i want a little flex. i dont know what it will matter with them being glassed in and all. but i just want a little flex under them....

i woulda spent the whole day on the boat today.... but i woke up with a cold....i been sneezing all day....cant afford to take time away from work as my girl is outta town for the next two weeks and its just me here

cheers
oops

I did a lot of digging on this topic. Originally the OEM just put my stringers on the hull. When you glass it in there will be no flexing of that section under the stringer at all. For one it is a short span, only a few inches, and the glass will be so strong that it won't flex, especialy the vertical section, where it comes down and attaches to the hull, as it feathers out of course it will fles more. If you look at the section of glass on the stringer, it will probably bwe 1/4 inch thick, by 4 inches tall, it won't flex much at all. Hopefully Ondarvr can chime in and comment on how it is best to install stringers, to bed them in peanut butter or something else, or just to leave a gap between the hull and stringers.

Have a great day,

Rob.

erikgreen

Captain

Guys -

Remember that the idea isn't to provide for flex under the stringers, it's to keep them from flexing (or not) unevenly.

So a rock solid glue job to the stringers is fine as long as your stringers are perfectly even, and there's no one spot that pushes more on the hull than any other, forming a fulcrum.

We're kind of traditionalists on this board, so folks like to use the poly/epoxy glue in place methods of putting the strings in, but it's perfectly valid to use polyurethane to do it.

I'm personally thinking of using PL poly to glue down my deck... it's got to be cheaper than mixing up gallons of peanut butter....

Erik

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ues the PL polyureathane construction adheasave!!! Its available at blowes. Its 100 % polyureathane. A lot of people use that instead of peanut butter and it bonds WAY better than the 5200. Just my opinion!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the pl was orignaly designed for house construction.......

the stuff is water proof......it will hold a house togeather...

heck i used it when i built my 30 foot waterfall last year....glued some of the rocks in place.....super strong.....

i think it is totally under rated in boat building

oops!

Supreme Mariner

got back on it tonight.......finished the other side of the hull...

man its feelin strong....had a little resin left over....so i did a strip in the bilge....(didnt want to waste the resin)......

i think its allmost time to bed the strings.....

erikgreen

Captain

got back on it tonight.......finished the other side of the hull...

man its feelin strong....had a little resin left over....so i did a strip in the bilge....(didnt want to waste the resin)......

i think its allmost time to bed the strings.....

Congrats! I cringe to think of myself doing that amount of grinding just to do a night's work.

Gonna be really interesting to see what you do with the layout and shape of this thing once the structural stuff is done :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! I cringe to think of myself doing that amount of grinding just to do a night's work.

Gonna be really interesting to see what you do with the layout and shape of this thing once the structural stuff is done :)

erik i been thinking about the layout for two years !......im soo happy that the structural is just about done....i dont think that the seats are going to take me long....

the biggest worry is the back motor cover with sun pad....but ive crawled around enough new boats to have a basic plan of how im going to do it.....but i need the floor in first......

the deck...(floor) is going be a challenge........ i expect the stern to sit lower in the water....so i have to lower the bow deck height. ...that also means my...beer cooler in the bilge idea might get scrapped....but ill know more about tollerances as soon as the cap is cut and refitted......

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ohh.....

forgot to mention....the heat got turned up on this project......

the owner of the shop im renting sold the farm...!!!!!

he said posession is may 1.....that means i have one month to finish to where i can at least move the boat....so its all hands on deck...!!!!

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a bummer, ask him if you can talk to the new owner mabey hes a boataholic and will let you finish or at least untell its warm enough to work outside?!

Fuzzey

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay oops I can let you use a spot !!! its up at my grandma !!! wont cost you a sent !!!!! It a 5 car garage!! Just thought i would offer !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hay oops I can let you use a spot !!! its up at my grandma !!! wont cost you a sent !!!!! It a 5 car garage!! Just thought i would offer !!! John

wow thanks john...!!!!! can i move in tommorow? :D :D :D

jcsercsa

Captain

sure Buddie anytime !!!!!!!!! John

erikgreen

Captain

erik i been thinking about the layout for two years !......im soo happy that the structural is just about done....i dont think that the seats are going to take me long....

the biggest worry is the back motor cover with sun pad....but ive crawled around enough new boats to have a basic plan of how im going to do it.....but i need the floor in first......

the deck...(floor) is going be a challenge........ i expect the stern to sit lower in the water....so i have to lower the bow deck height. ...that also means my...beer cooler in the bilge idea might get scrapped....but ill know more about tollerances as soon as the cap is cut and refitted......

cheers
oops

Nooooo!! Not the beer cooler!

One nice thing about boating on lake superior is that it's ice water... take a net bag and a rope, lower a 12 pack of beer over the side down to 60 feet or so... wait 8 minutes.... icy cold beer. :)

iwombat

Captain

Its even faster to just empty the CO2 fire extinguisher out on 'em.

Frosty goodness.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh....i knew that extinguisher would come in handy for somthing...:D :D :D.....

and erik...thats great...if the bote cops ever come around you on that big lake.....you can cut the rope !!!!!!!!

the cooler was one of oops sooper dooper iders !...i hope i can still do it !....

i guess nothing wrong with laying them down .....and making it longer...! :D

Robj

Lieutenant

and erik...thats great...if the bote cops ever come around you on that big lake.....you can cut the rope !!!!!!!!

Why would you want to do that?? I have read an article here in Canada that was written by a lawyer saying you can drink on a boat. It is legal, just don't get pissed, that is not.

Have a great day,

Rob.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Here in FL they treat drunk boating just lke drunk driving.
Court, jail time, loose your boat, fines etc.etc.

to many deadly accidents with boats and pwc, drunk skippers so they really started cracking down.

sorry to hear about having to move from the rented location oops

I will volunteer to store the corona's for you, no charge, of course they will be hot by time they clear customs:)

Status
Not open for further replies.