Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Wow, that cradle is awesome.. Selfishly, I was hoping you would move forward... Since you will drop the engine and drive in later in the build, I would take your time looking for a donor. Back when I was doing my Chris Craft, I found a donor boat with a 350 mag and alpha 1, gen II for 1800. He was asking 3K.

I ended up selling the trailer (300) and the gas tank (150), and the gauges (50), so my net pricing the engine and drive for about 1300..

I think you could probably do way better than 3500, especially heading into the winter when people want Christmas money, etc..

jbcurt00

Staff member

iagree.gif
Hold on to the CVX & wait for the right donor boat. And as PMC said, w/ xmas pending and people needing cash, you could afford to widen the search & maybe drive a tad further for the right donor and out a ways, they'd have fewer options of selling their boat....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

You sure make great video,s . I really enjoy how you break things down step by step . The cradle is probably one of the most well built I,ve seen so far . Some fixed inline wheels on the front or back would sure make it less squirrely and easier to steer .. Sure hope you can find a good donor .
Later !

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Jay: Take a look at my engine rebuild thread in my signature. It details me replacing my 4.3l motor in my Sea Ray. In the end, I spent about $500 on the motor (and another $500 on new exhaust manifolds). That included rebuilding the heads. I'd take a hard look at spending as little on the motor as you can without compromising the quality of the work. There are hundreds of automotive 350ci engines out there that can be turned into a marine motor with very little effort, and they can be had for VERY cheap.

I've also have a link to my destruction thread. Not sure how your garbage men work down in TX, but I didn't spend a dime extra in disposal fees to get rid of my 20' Sea Ray.

Friscoboater

Captain

This is why I love this forum. You guys know how to pep me up when I start doubting what I am doing. I have been called crazy a few times over the past week, and it was starting to get to me. I think I have a clear line on what needs to be done on this boat, and I am moving forward with the restoration.

Ok, lets work as a team here. Can you guys keep your eyes peeled for a donor boat, or total engine package. Nothing that needs to be rebuilt, and I do not care what the boat looks like. Lets shoot for 3k or under, 1991 or newer if we can, and it has to have everything.

Lets build a kick butt boat.

Friscoboater

Captain

You sure make great video,s . I really enjoy how you break things down step by step . The cradle is probably one of the most well built I,ve seen so far . Some fixed inline wheels on the front or back would sure make it less squirrely and easier to steer .. Sure hope you can find a good donor .
Later !

I thought about using straight casters, but then it would be hard to move around in the garage. Catch22

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

J have you checked any of the insurance companies for rigs that have been totaled due to damage? This maybe a way of getting a newer power plant and o/d on the cheap.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Jay, I used fixed casters on mine (had 4 4" cast iron laying around in the shop). It would have been nice to have swivels on the front, but it wasn't bad. If I need to slide it left or right I just jacked it up with my floor jack and pushed it over. It actually worked will for me, since i was just using it strait out and strait back in. Good luck on the search, I'll keep my eyes open up here.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that cradle is awesome.. Selfishly, I was hoping you would move forward... Since you will drop the engine and drive in later in the build, I would take your time looking for a donor. Back when I was doing my Chris Craft, I found a donor boat with a 350 mag and alpha 1, gen II for 1800. He was asking 3K.

I ended up selling the trailer (300) and the gas tank (150), and the gauges (50), so my net pricing the engine and drive for about 1300..

I think you could probably do way better than 3500, especially heading into the winter when people want Christmas money, etc..

so you finally sold those guages huh. I was eye ballin' those on c-list but since Christmas is near I couldn't afford to ask about them. I'm pretty close to you. I'm in the good ol Delta!

Jay, that cradle is awesome. I was going to mention you just fabbing up a swing away trailer tongue to fit in the garage but with the cradle, moving it within the garage is much nicer. Plus now you can work on the trailer separately. Good job

Handchops

Cadet

Go Jay go! We don't have to work on our own boats now. We can just watch you!! Soon you'll be like American Chopper and people will be donating parts, motors and such. Good luck I'll be watching!

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Count me in on the ride. Something to keep up with during the long, cold, gray midwestern winter.

Oldrod 47

mfsb

Seaman

So I initially ignored this thread thinkin it was a rebirth of your original Glastron restoration. I really love all the work you do and it actually motivates me to try all the little things on the two boats I have owned that needed some love, from rebuilding the engine on my 21 marathon, and now the purchase and love on my 19 ft bayliner. You do wonderful work and I look forward to it. I have decided though that RGB LED's add at least 10 mph to a boats top speed, especially the underwater kind, just ask CC254, his boat is goin 20 knots while tied to the dock.

Friscoboater

Captain

Got lots of work done this weekend, but now I am fighting a mean cold. I will get the pictures and videos up today I hope.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hope you feel better soon brutha!

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, I am finally getting to this weeks update. I have been under the weather the past few days, and I have just not felt like doing much. Dad and I got a lot done on the boat this weekend, and we has come to the realization that we need to pull the cap to do this right. We actually found that the wood is not only rotten, but the good wood in infested with termites. Sooo, next weekend we will be pulling the cap, and taking the rest of the deck and stringers out.

The good news is that I have a fully Dressed 4 barrel 350 with outdrive and trim pump coming next week... Whoohoo. I actually found it on ebay, and the guy has awesome feedback as a seller for boat parts, so I feel very confident that I am protected. It is used, but has been gone through and guaranteed. I am pumped.

After working in the garage this weekend I relized two things... The lighting stinks, and the audio on the go pro is terrible. So installed 4 new lights, and got an external mic for the go pro. Now it it is like daylight all the time in the garage, and the audio is awesome!.

Anyway, the deconstruction goes on.

Got the rear bench out to see a nasty dirty mess

file-77.jpg

Termite Larva

file-79.jpg

This is how much leaves and dirt I have vacuumed out of the boat.

file-88.jpg

I removed both of the foam blocks in the rear.. and yes, they were waterlogged.

file-90.jpg

Dad on Cleanup Duty

file-92.jpg

The rear motor mounts were completely full of water, and the wood was like mud. The build quality of this boat is terrible. I'll fix that.

file-97.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Making progress

file-98.jpg

You can see the top part of the stringer is good, but the bottom is rotten.

file-103.jpg

Back half of the boat is devoid of stringers

file-105.jpg

Me trying to get the gas tank out

file-112.jpg

Chewpacabra?

file-116.jpg

file-118.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

You can see the deck under the helm is just dry rotted everywhere. It is better just to take it all out.

file-124.jpg

My pile of stuff that needs to go to the storage unit.

file-126.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

The video clip where you cut the top of the port motor mount to find loose leaf paper & then the starboard mount was more like wood fondue was all just enough to make me queasy:
:puke:

Glad your feeling better & awesome about the motor score :cool: