Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

J Happy Thanx Givin! I would tend to agree that o/d and externals being a total loss would make this a deal breaker on the resto but on the other hand if CL can provide so lower cost donors things could break even or under the line. Just remember the documetation that will go along with this rig that in it's self should a value of reliability not even the factory can provide. Tough call !

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay - I read all of your Sea Ray thread. Awesome work and inspirational. I do have a suggestion. I live in Flower Mound and have a gutted Wellcraft Airslot 165. I just glued up my transom plywood last night and am making ready for major work over the next few months. I hope to be ready for outboard power by April 1. You can come help me and document as you deem fit...and the best part is that I won't charge you anything. So...you can get your boat fix on locally in DFW and not have to worry about losing any money. Now that's a deal rit der. :D

I can be the first boat for your new TV series - "You've Been Over-Hulled" See my signature for my project. When should I expect the calvary and TV crew to arrive?

Hey...I had to try. :)

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well Jay I'm sorry to hear that. It reminds me of when I bought my boat... It's not so bad, I can fix that, it won't cost that much, I can find all these things cheap. NOT!
Yes you have a tough decision to make. You can always wait to start any resto until you find a replacement engine and drive. Not that I want to wait! But it sounds like you will have a project regardless. You have a passion for this sort of thing. Heck you might find a donor boat in your search and decide you want to restore that one too! One thing I do know is whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be on this forum with some sort of project for us all to see.
Happy Turkey Day

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I kinda think yur wacky for just trying to break even buddy!

I dunno what the "go boat" market is like down in Texas but it isn't all that good up my way.

I gotta say, with what you have to work with, and the investment to make her pretty and fast, I fear breaking even might be out of reach.

All the best and happy Turkey day Jay!

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Happy Thanksgiving Jay. Good to see you doing another build. Needless to say, I haven't touched my Sea Ray in over a year. It looks like I'm on board for another FriscoBoater adventure as well. Thanks, Steven

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay,

Once you get the cradle built, I think I would go to Harbour Freight and buy a 1500# ATV wench. Use some Hilte bolts to anchor it to the back of the garage floor (in concrete). Once you are finished, remove the wench and bolts so they are not a tripping hazard. Also, you may want to use some small pnuematic tires on the cradle to help get over the lip in the garage. Thanks, Steven

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Jay:
Tough Call. I know these classic Glastrons have a cult following and might fetch more than the average restored boat... However, classic Chris Crafts and Centuries have the same following and I've seen several folks on Craigslist taking a bath on those.... Maybe check out Classic Glastron and other sites...

Since I have not researched pricing and don't know what you've got into it right now, I'll give you my .02 at the risk of speaking out of turn:

I know a boat project would be great for you and your Dad, but I see break even as an uphill battle with a full re-power, completely new interior/upholstery, completely new dash panel, completely new windshield, new electrical, etc... You would have to find a Glastron enthusiast with a wallet full of money to pay you even money on what you put into it... Plus, knowing you, you will do this right and not cut corners..., so the budget will be high end...

As Yacht Doctor said recently on another thread, there is money in "refinish" but usually not the case in "restore."

I know you love boat projects and have a soft spot for this boat, so maybe you could give it to your son when he gets a little older??

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Jay, its great to see you on here with another project! "Hull and trailer", that sounds familiar! I have the stack of receipts from Miss Morgan 3' away right now....still haven't added them up but I would guess $15K plus. Did it make sense? Financially no, but to me yes. I wanted that kind of hull, and I absolutely love her every time have her on the water. I think this is the perfect hull for someone who wants that boat and doesn't ever plan on selling it, that is my plan with Miss Morgan. It is going to be really hard to keep this one in budget, but if you can find the person who wants that hull I think you can get there. I don't know how you do it, but have you thought about trying to find the buyer before you restore it? They pay the hard cost and you get the rewards of building the boat? I would bet there is someone out there, with the money, who wants that boat but doesn't have the time or skills or desire to build one. A one in a million shot but you never know. That is a great hull, hope you find some way to make it work!

Friscoboater

Captain

I have thought long and hard about his, and with all the comments on the Facebook page and youtube, its about 50/50. I hardly have anything in this boat at all, and if I could find a donor boat for the 3k to 3.5K range, the only other really spendy thing is the Upholstery. Do you think I can get away with the two captains chairs and the bench fixed up for 1K if I build everything (seat backs, foam etc)?

I had an idea about the windshield if the budget gets out of control. Fix the crack, and then shoot it gloss black.

I really think a donor boat is the way to go.

Ok... more rambling... I found a total merc package on ebay today that I am tempted to jump on. It is a 1996 350Mag with 588 hours on it with the gimble and transom plate and Alpha Gen II drive. It looks flawless, and the guy wants $3400 for the whole lot. The things he kept (doing a BB repower in his Baja) was the oil relocation assembly, the bell housing, and the coupler. The bad thing is that he is 900 miles away :(

parrisw

Ensign

Had an idea for you for an easy way to get your boat in and out, you could easily make two tracks, use wood the same thickness as the lip of your garage floor, make the track the width of the wheels of the cradle, then you'd only need 3/8-1/2" high lip to keep the wheels in, then you can just but the track up to the lip and close the end so it wont roll down your driveway, then easy to push in and out. With the track being the same width as the wheels it keeps it going straight so the wheels wont turn everywhere while you're trying to push it in and out.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok... so I have thought long and hard on this, and I am going to plug forward, and look for a donor engine and dive. If I keep it at around 3 to 3.5K, I should be ok. I found a couple of boats around here way lower than that, but there are title issues, and you cannot junk a boat without the title. SO the search goes on.

So the past couple of days Dad and I built a cradle that rolls around so that we can work on it in the garage. It took about 200 bucks in lumber and casters to build it, and we made it to where I can collapse it down and use it again. She is in the garage, and now I just need to get to work.

Casters for the cradle. They support about 700 lbs each, so I should be good.

file-46.jpg

Good quality Lumber

file-47.jpg

Six inch lags to hold it all together

file-49.jpg

No we have to flip it, and build the bunks

file-52.jpg

I lined it up to the back of the trailer and copies the bunks

file-56.jpg

I found some carpet in the attic and used it to cover the bunks.

file-57.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

This is the sophisticated drawing we came up with in Home Depot.

file-61.jpg

We used some nylon rope to pull her off the trailer. Once I overcame the friction on the trailer, she slid right off.

file-62.jpg

file-64.jpg

file-65.jpg

file-66.jpg

file-68.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Ummm. I think the trailer needs help.

file-70.jpg

We actually were able to push that think up the driveway! By putting in Bow first will allow me to wash her out without having to move it out of the garage.

file-71.jpg

An all the video

Part 1

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Part 2

Now the real work begins!

Last edited:

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

you mention not being able to junk a boat without a title.... what about randomly shaped and sized fiberglass sections that may have at one point resembled a boat? I've seen a couple here throw out an entire boat in the weekly garbage pickup. Messy and some work but if the deal is right.... anything can be worth it.

awesome cradle it looks completely safe and secure, when i did some trailer work we balanced my 17ft tinny on a jetski stand that a friend had, it was rather precarious and not the brightest thing ive done.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Jay that's what I did with my hull, we need title in Washington state too to be able to junk a boat, but I took a sawzall and 10 pack of nice blades and cut it up one weekend into sections had a uhaul filled it with that an other junk and down to the dump I went, cost me about 75 bucks it was just under a ton for my load... Someone asked me whn I was tossing piece out "looks like it was a nice boat", I told them I don't know this is how it was in pieces when I was called in to clean up a yard! :) guy walks away

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

JA will come down and help you cut up donor. He loves killing bondo hulls

tpenfield

Staff member

Jay,

subscribing in and looking forward to the updates as you go along. :)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

J rock solid craddle! hope your Dads feelin better. We all will push you in the restore it direction because we enjoy your informative well documented adventures. I can see you myself doing the hull and waiting for the deal on a motor and O/D . You may want to consider the fact that your most likley gonna do this again and now is a good as time as any to learn the interior phase of the resto for future projects by doing it yourself (just a thought)