Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rmoore45

Seaman
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Finally get to watch a FriscoBoater restoration from start to finish. I tuned into the Sea Ray restoration on YouTube about 2 months after you started it and completely missed the Glastron restoration. Your restoration videos helped me a lot when I restored my 1968 Sears Gamefisher. It will be cool to watch you restore this boat as I'm currently restoring a 1978 Invader .

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this thread for sure.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Frisco just a thought early on you could be the first guy with a LS6 marinized! warp dive Mr. Scott I Captain!! Just a thought.

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I look forward to the videos. I am doing some videos of my boat but, I dont expect them to be as nice as yours.

Friscoboater

Captain

Frisco just a thought early on you could be the first guy with a LS6 marinized! warp dive Mr. Scott I Captain!! Just a thought.

Can you say "Alpha Bomb"?

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seen your video . Looks like a great project. I have an idea for you boat cradle.Should be cheap and easy to make.

Boat Idea.jpg

Sorry yellow writing looked better than the pink lol

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a fun project and that is the important part, FUN. I am glad to see you do another project and am signing on for the FUN :)

This boat definitely has some great lines!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Brutha Jay!

Killer boat doooood!

Looking forward to you working your magic once again!

Friscoboater

Captain

Heeeey its Bear!!! Welcome aboard old friend!

I got teh boat cradle built today, but guys will have to wait until late tomorrow after we get the boat off to see any video or pictures :)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yea I know but wouldn't it be cool. I look forward to the interior upolstry part.

Agleason

Cadet

Great new project Jay. A ton of work, and a ton of fun all wrapped into one package. I will finally get to follow along on this one.:D

Triton II

Commander

I'm in. At least this one won't be itchy! :p

TII

Decker83

Commander

Hey Jay,
What a great project you have. I felt like something was up when you popped into my thread.
Glad to see you back and looking forward to alot of great new vids and pics.
Hope you and your family have a awesome Thanksgiving Day.

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks JB, and a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Ok, we all have to have a very serious talk about this project. Dad and I finished building the cradle today and took the engine and drive out of the truck for close inspection. I knew the engine was toast, but I thought I would be able to use some things, but NOOOOOO, all of the accessories are frozen with rust, and the outdrive had tons of water in it. So all I have is a hull and a trailer.

One has to stand back and make sure that they want to keep up with this venture. I mean from a money standpoint. I am not looking to make any money, but I will not loose money either. So this project just might be a non starter.

Here are some options.

1. Buy a total repower used out of a newer boat, but run the risk of other peoples problems. I found a 1996 350 mag with transom assembly, and alpha drive for $3400, but it is on Chicago, but I am in Texas. That is a very long drive.

2. Stick with the 2 barrel setup and get a 305 long block locally and put it back to stock configuration with a SEI aftermarket drive. It would still be really fast, but not crazy fast. That combo would be about 2500, and no driving.

I still have upholstery and a windshield to buy on the spendy stuff.

Thaoughts? Do I bail??? What is a realistic sell number for a restored boat like this? 7k... 8k???

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks JB, and a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Ok, we all have to have a very serious talk about this project. Dad and I finished building the cradle today and took the engine and drive out of the truck for close inspection. I knew the engine was toast, but I thought I would be able to use some things, but NOOOOOO, all of the accessories are frozen with rust, and the outdrive had tons of water in it. So all I have is a hull and a trailer.

One has to stand back and make sure that they want to keep up with this venture. I mean from a money standpoint. I am not looking to make any money, but I will not loose money either. So this project just might be a non starter.

Here are some options.

1. Buy a total repower used out of a newer boat, but run the risk of other peoples problems. I found a 1996 350 mag with transom assembly, and alpha drive for $3400, but it is on Chicago, but I am in Texas. That is a very long drive.

2. Stick with the 2 barrel setup and get a 305 long block locally and put it back to stock configuration with a SEI aftermarket drive. It would still be really fast, but not crazy fast. That combo would be about 2500, and no driving.

I still have upholstery and a windshield to buy on the spendy stuff.

Thaoughts? Do I bail??? What is a realistic sell number for a restored boat like this? 7k... 8k???

Well I thought you were crazy from the start to just restore it to sell it and to make nothing. I like projects my self, enjoy them very much, but I would torture myself that much on a fiberglass boat restore to just let it go in the end.

But from your standpoint, I'd just keep looking for a better deal on a good used running gear, its out there you just have to keep looking.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

parrisw has a good thought there Jay. You have the benefit of time before you really get to the mechanics anyway. I know you've seen my thoughts on FB on why I put the 305 back in my CVZ-18.

I can run mid-50's with my CVZ-18, stock 898 (305), I have about 210HP. That is plenty fast for me. The guys with CVX-18's with built 350's, thru-hull exhaust are running low/mid 60's.

Can your engine builder give you a stock 350 reasonably? I figure with mine, I'll be at $5k invested after I have to cough up the money for the interior, and I'm running a $50.00 used MC-1 outdrive. I found a complete donor 898 motor, with exhaust logs for $200 and had it rebuilt. I was able to reuse the carb, heads, intake, exhaust logs, and many other parts. That really saved me $ on the rebuild cost.

I do think the 350 would make it more desirable...but can you get there and not risk losing money. That would be the driver for any decision on the powerplant.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

305 vs 350 should be about the same rebuild cost, only plus to a 305 is that you have a block and heads, IF its usable but i think you said it was cracked.... as for manifolds and accesories they wont care if its a 305 or 350 block... external dimensions bolt patterns etc are the same.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

look forward to the vids as you seem to put your heart and soul into your boats and the searay was a great follow even from over the other side of the Atlantic.Good to see it bringing your close knit family all together.At least your weather tends to be warm so the project will move swiftly.Lovely looking boat and nice to see some tlc once again to restore to its former glory.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sorry Jay, no thoughts on the engine, or whether to go ahead or not, but the one thing I gotta say is...
thanksgiving-wallpapers-1-1024x768.gif

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!