Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Just gave this thread a 5 star rating. Surprised somebody has not rated it yet. Any thread Jay does deserves 10 stars.

RufNutt

Cadet

Great project here...looks like a little beaver or big squirrel skull to me

8point1

Cadet

definitely in for more

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Bump ...

Friscoboater

Captain

More is coming guys. I am going to try and get the grinding done this weekend and purchase the lumbar next week.

I like the Name Vermin's Lair for sure!

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Jay there is a buddy of mine in DFW that has a new LS small block in his Glastron Jet. You might consider it as an upgrade to the stock 5.7 motor would really make that boat fly and make it one of a kind.

That could be a rats head as well. Vermin's Lair is a great name.

I havent put my cap back on but the only part of my build that flexes is the really weak sides and I think they will flex enough when the cap goes back on. I am just making sure the hull is kept square.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

A quite a few posts back when you were debating doing the project you asked about what it was worth when it was done.There was a guy last winter on S&F that had a totally restored CVX20 Sprint(o/b model) that he said he had over $11k into for sale.Was rigged for a Merc,but no motor and was on a nice alum. trailer.It was on there a long time and the last price I think I saw posted was $3k.I would have been all over it(love the Carlson's.I have the exact same boat that is going to need a restore soon and I know I couldn't do it for $3k)but it was in Florida and I'm in Canada.I couldn't believe it went that cheap.

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JB, and a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Ok, we all have to have a very serious talk about this project. Dad and I finished building the cradle today and took the engine and drive out of the truck for close inspection. I knew the engine was toast, but I thought I would be able to use some things, but NOOOOOO, all of the accessories are frozen with rust, and the outdrive had tons of water in it. So all I have is a hull and a trailer.

One has to stand back and make sure that they want to keep up with this venture. I mean from a money standpoint. I am not looking to make any money, but I will not loose money either. So this project just might be a non starter.

Here are some options.

1. Buy a total repower used out of a newer boat, but run the risk of other peoples problems. I found a 1996 350 mag with transom assembly, and alpha drive for $3400, but it is on Chicago, but I am in Texas. That is a very long drive.

2. Stick with the 2 barrel setup and get a 305 long block locally and put it back to stock configuration with a SEI aftermarket drive. It would still be really fast, but not crazy fast. That combo would be about 2500, and no driving.

I still have upholstery and a windshield to buy on the spendy stuff.

Thaoughts? Do I bail??? What is a realistic sell number for a restored boat like this? 7k... 8k???

Jay,

I followed your Sea Ray rebuild on YouTube - my hat is off to you on that project! I placed an offer on a 1987 Sea Ray 230 Weekender (23 foot cuddy cabin, 260 HP Mercruiser) last April contingent on a marine survey. I noticed a couple of things such as blistering of the spray rails and the transom had stress cracks in the gelcoat. The owner told me the transom was replaced as well as the floor. I called the prior owner and he owned a fiberglass shop and he confirmed the replacement of the transom, floor, and stringers - pretty much what you had to do on your Sea Ray. The surveyor told me that the transom had 26-30% moisture in it, the stingers had 27% moisture content and he began digging rotten wood from the outdrive opening. I immediately backed out of the deal and began looking for another.

I thought you checked for water in the outdrive when you looked at the boat?

Take the starter and alternator to a local rebuilder and they can repair them for a fraction of the cost of a rebuilt unit - They should know by looking at them that they are marine units. The fan on the alternator is an inexpensive part and most rebuild shops have them on the shelf. While they have it opened, they'll replace the bearings, brushes, etc.

Can the outdrive can be repaired vs. replaced? Was there oil in it or just cruddy water? Worst case, find a good used unit and check it out thouroughly before buying it. You might want to check an auto junkyard for an engine, replace all the bearings, hone the cylinders, replace piston rings and install a marine cam in it. Then transfer the carb, ignition, etc. from the existing 305 if it is compatable to the rebuilt engine. The carb. most likely needs to be rebuilt but that is not a big deal.

I'd run the numbers on that and see where you wind up. With you doing the labor, you should be able to get out of the powertrain repair for a lot less than buying a remanufactured engine and outdrive in my opinion.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Jay as a reference I just priced out a complete rebuild kit for a 454 and a complete machine shop work to redo the entire motor. Machine shop work was 450 for the head work, engine boring, line honing, resizing the rods. The Rebuild Master kit which included gaskets, bearings, rings, pistons cam and lifters was 600. Figure 1200 complete then your labor to put it all together and whatever it cost you for the motor in the first place. If it doesn't need all the work then it would be even less. That's with all marine setup which we all know is more expensive.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If I'm not mistaken, he's already gotten both an engine & an outdrive sourced. Often there is some info disparity between the thread & his videos. For sure the current setup is toast, very little recyclable to a new setup.

And all unsalvageable parts of the engine (most of it, unfortunately) have met the great metal recycling grinder at the junk yard, and the outdrive went to a guy that rehabs them & sells the refurb'd units...

Friscoboater

Captain

Jb, you are right, this thread gets a twice a week update or weekly update. I update real time on facebook as I work. The new engine has arrived and I hope to run it tomorrow for a full test.

1badbrd

Seaman Apprentice

file-112.jpg

Chewpacabra?

file-116.jpg

file-118.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think you need to resin the skull and mount it to the bow kinda like a hood ornament on a car

Friscoboater

Captain

That is a great idea.

Triton II

Commander

Looking forward to seeing how the engine run goes... Good luck Frisco!

TII

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey guys, it is time for a big update. Last week we go the cap off the boat and got the rest of the wood out of the boat. It is now time for the horrible part of grinding the hull. I bought a brand new grinder the other day, as the one I have has a bad trigger. It will spontaneously start when sitting on the ground. Talk about scary. So I think we will start soon as the schedule permits and I should be able to start putting wood back in soon.

I also had a big delivery today. I purchased a engine and drive package off eBay last week, and it showed up on Friday. I had to drive down to the UPS freight station to pick it up, but it was all worth it. Today I started her up and gave her a good shake down, and so far i could not be happier. I think the carb needs a rebuild, but I knew this upon buying the engine, but everything else is spot on. It feels so good to have that out of the way.

Anyway, we are now getting into the real nuts and bolts of the build, and I know that is what everyone wants to see. I have some new microphones coming for the go pro, and I might be adding one or two more for great camera angles. I want these builds to be very comprehensive, and offer help to all would be boat builders out there.

This brings me to a point. I have had some messages about using a composite material... epoxy... carbon fiber... etc, and how I should be using it. I thought I would address this now as they are very good questions. All of those materials are wonderful for building a offshore race boat, but is like strapping a turbine engine to a paper airplane for these type of boats. It is just plain overkill, and if you do it right, poly, wood, and good 1708 glass can make a great boat. The rotten boats I see are just plainly built like CARP from the factory!! They do not seal the wood... seal the stringers... or pay any attention to proper glass work. That is the reason why these boats rot so easy. If you just pay attention to all these factors, you will have a perfectly built boat that will last you for years to come.

So with that being said lets get to work.

After about 100 screws and cutting the rear area by the transom (see video) the cap cap off with little fanfare.

file-140.jpg

I put the cap on the trailer supported by a few 2X4s to keep the cap steady.

file-141.jpg

These are the bow supports that we just could not get too at all, hence removing the cap. the port side was rotten and full of termites.

file-142.jpg

The Tank sits right between these on a raised deck.

file-143.jpg

We cut the tabbing that held them in and they just fell out.

file-157.jpg

No more wood! I took my grinder with a cut off wheel and just went down the stringers and cut the "skin" of glass, and the stringers just lifted out! They were not even secured to the hull at all.

file-145.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Most of this wood was infected with termites!

file-146.jpg

Here is the replacement engine. It is a 5.7 260 with center bolt valve covers (1987 and up) that is totally drop in. the carb needs some attention (my decision) but otherwise runs great.

file-149.jpg

Getting ready to run it on the ground. Notice how I kicked the exhaust ports out a bit to keep water away from things as much as I could.

file-151.jpg

file-152.jpg

file-153.jpg

Here is the outdrive that came with it. It needs a coat of paint, but passed a pressure test, and that is what I needed.

file-154.jpg