Boating the Upper Chesapeake

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

This is John3931's wife. We are traveling down to North East area tomorrow. I was wondering where would be a good place to take him to buy something for the boat for his birthday. Also, we are picking up our daughter in Newark and are looking for a nice casual place to eat dinner ( preferably a place that has prime rib) Any suggestions?

skargo

Banned

http://www.jacksonmarinesales.com/

This place has an awesome parts and accessories department, and even a little yard sale section. They've been the only place in 2 counties that have carried parts for my old boat.

Have fun tomorrow.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

There is also a West Marine in both North East and in Havre De Grace.

Also in Havre De Grace there is another shop really close to were Arks boat will be. I am sure he can direct you right to it if you ask.

Have fun tomorrow! Wish I could make it down too.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

hey, robb,
you think i could anchor a sailboat near the island at the marina?

somewhere far enough away from the regular slips, and still out of the channel.

I bet I could just tie up to an island slip and no one would notice.
lol

arks

Lieutenant Commander

John- It was a pleasure to meet you and ther Admiral today. Did you get to see your rental place?

hey, robb,
you think i could anchor a sailboat near the island at the marina?

somewhere far enough away from the regular slips, and still out of the channel.

Well, not inside the basin (between the marina docks and Tydings Island) but it would be perfectly legal to install a mooring out past the breakwater, as long as it was well outside a channel. As a matter of fact, I know a guy who keeps his houseboat in an island slip for the winter but moves it to a mooring all summer. That mooring is about 3/4 south of the marina channel and 1/4 mile west of the main HdG channel. He stays out there for weeks at a time. He uses an old speedboat to get provisions from town.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey John, what did you think of the upper Chesapeake today? Hope that you had a blast and enjoyed it.

Maybe you can make it to the raft up this summer.

So what did you get for the boat today?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

ALSO POSTED IN THE 'LOWER SUSQUEHANNA' THREAD:

Hey guys-
I realize it's EXTREMELY short notice, but I just found out the Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway is holding their "River Sweep" event around Garrett Island next Saturday 4/24. I attended last year and gotta say, it was VERY rewarding to pull all that debris from the waters we all use and love. They are always looking for more volunteers, so feel free to pre-register and join in. Workboats are welcome but not required. This is an excellent opportunity to LEGALLY walk around the historic and beautiful Garrett Island, because the LSHG has secured official permission from Blackwater NWR for the cleanup. As a reward for your efforts, every pre-registered participant will receive a free t-shirt and lunch!

At this point I'm not even sure if I can make it but I plan to de-winterize my jonboat tomorrow and rig it for 'trash service' just like last year. -UPDATE: I got the jonboat ready and pre-registered, so I'll be there on Saturday morning!- Here's a shot of some of the junk we recovered last year, and YES- the jonboat is in there somewhere!
RiverSweep004.jpg

Here's the flyer for River Sweep:
http://www.hitourtrails.com/PDF/Rive...eep 2010.pdf

And here's the registration form. Hope to see a few of you out there!
http://www.hitourtrails.com/Riversweep.html

Rob
PS- here's the thread I posted last year after River Sweep: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=305513

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well let me see. I got to me the nice guy from Iboats.:D
Didn't have much time to shop like I wanted to. I did pick up a chart but left it in the car that we swapped with #1 daughter. Did get to visit cottage. It was a little disappointing at first because the outside isn't cleaned up yet. Will have to do my homework on where to launch the boat. Dirt ramp doesn't look too good.
The upper chesapeake is a beautiful area. Got to drive through Perryville, Havre de Grace. Looking forward to spending some time down there. Wouldn't want to tow boat back and forth too many times.
Ended up eating in Newark but still got my prime rib.
Looking forward to meeting everyone else. Even Scott.:p

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so i just bought a sailboat today,
it is a 1970 grampaign, 26 ft.
it has a fixed keel, and cabin is in decent shape.

got it for 2500
it is in perryville on dry dock.
he said he will move it for free, after i put bottom paint on.
So at least I don't have to worry about paying to pull the boat to put paint on, and paying to launch the boat again.

but it has no motor. I will pick up an old outboard for a few hundread bucks.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Rob - Thanks for the great link and idea. I really want to be a part of this. We already have plans on Saturday involving other people so I probably won't be able to make it this year. I have already made a reminder in my calender for next spring to found out the date so we can help. Thanks for all the work you do to keep our waterways beautiful!

John - Glad to hear you had a great time. I had a feeling you would love the Upper Chesapeake area! ;)

Scott - How did the walk go yesterday?

Kyle - Congrats on the boat!! I hope it is everything you want it to be plus some. Do you have any pics yet? You know how we love pictures!!!! :D

skargo

Banned

Kyle,
Score!

Brandon,
the walk was today, we just got back, Whopper is exhausted!

24916_10150175756780652_554955651_11871351_4454578_n.jpg

There was even a tortoise there!

24916_10150175742930652_554955651_11870725_7258971_n.jpg

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i snapped a few pics today with my camera phone.

just trying to see if it has a bilge pump, and get one working in there.
power washing the bottom to put new paint on there.

Some paint has flaked off, and exposed unpainted fiberglass.
i don't really see stands of fiberglass, just an off white color. Does that mean that I took off the gel coat in those spots?

I want to power wash it good, so that I get all the lose paint off.

My washer is kinda old, so i had to get real close to get the paint off. like 4 inches away or so.

Attachments

• 0418001048b.jpg
    0418001048b.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 0418001048c.jpg
    0418001048c.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1

skargo

Banned

I don't know much about sailboats, but that looks like a heck of a deal!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

With all the talk, I figured it was only a matter of time before he found one!
Congrats- Looks like a nice rig.
Does this mean we're gonna be neighbors in a few weeks?

Some paint has flaked off, and exposed unpainted fiberglass.
i don't really see stands of fiberglass, just an off white color. Does that mean that I took off the gel coat in those spots?
Probably not. If there's absolutely no gloss then it was most likely properly prepped years ago when the antifouling paint was applied. Fiberglass hulls will absorb water over time, so you need to do a barrier coat before painting, especially if you intend to keep her in the water. Has she been on land long enough to thoroughly dry out?

For barrier coat info, see this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384868

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so just bottom paint will not work?

And another thing, the drain for my sink and head, are both below the water line.

both thru hull fittings are well below the water line.
So won't the waste discharge fitting just suck water in, instead of shooting it out? although this could be to suck in sea water to put in the toliet bowl. (I don't have a pota pot)

But the sink drain seems like water would just rush up it, instead of draining.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

so i just bought a sailboat today,
it is a 1970 grampaign, 26 ft.
it has a fixed keel, and cabin is in decent shape.

got it for 2500
it is in perryville on dry dock.
he said he will move it for free, after i put bottom paint on.
So at least I don't have to worry about paying to pull the boat to put paint on, and paying to launch the boat again.

but it has no motor. I will pick up an old outboard for a few hundread bucks.

congratulations, I'm sure after alittle time working out the kinks around here you are going to be off on an adventure.

Rob, I can't even think as far as the end of May right now. But if the weather is nice and there aren't any baseball games scheduled, I will be there.

twin jet

Recruit

4th of July in the Upper Chesapeake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'v only been boating for 4 years and I don't boat much at night. I am seeking advice on where I can take my family to watch the fireworks, Maybe Havre de Grace? I stay away from Havre de Grace normally, only because I have been told it is very shallow and easy to get yourself hung up if not familiar with the area.

Also - I usually put out in Joppa and they close the park at nightfall. So I will need to find a place to put in where I can trailer out late at night.

I can make my way to the inner harbor but I would think that it will be very congested for the 4th.

Any advice is greatly appreciated