Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Really???

I saw them on 3 different occasions last year and that does NOT include the 4th of July fireworks displays where there are all kinds of law enforcement out. (Coast Guard, Police Department, etc.)

I was out maybe 20 times last year and saw the local fire department around HDG once. In two trips to the Middle River I must have seen 10 different CG/Aux , police and fish and game. I spent days anchored at Sand Island and never saw one official boat, other than the military at APG.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think there is anything to fix related to the accident...as far as I can tell, nothing got damaged.

Haven't touched it yet.....walk by it a few times every day though......need some motivation, I guess.....and time....I did jack up the nose of it yesterday to make sure no water was in it from the rain we had..

walking by it it isn't going to get it done...lol

SuperNova

Lieutenant

walking by it it isn't going to get it done...lol

x2, come AWN Stan! I still have yet to meet you.
Ahh, the boat is ready to go, really. There's nothing that HAS to be done. Just a few fairly minor things I'd like to get done. Change the lube in the outdrives and replace the u-joints and gimbal bearing and maybe the bellows whille I'm there.....but there's no problems, just sorta maintenance. I'll probably just end up tightening up the one prop and running it for another year. Yeah, I procrastinate like that......what can I say...

Just spoke to the guys at Tomes Landing Marina today. I will be dropping my boat off on Sunday. I was going to boat all day Sunday once everything was squared away with the marina, but its supposed to rain. We'll see, but I am pretty excited nonetheless. I will be boating the 1st and 2nd of may.. I can't wait to check out the chesapeake !

skargo

Banned

Yeah, I procrastinate like that......what can I say...
I hear ya, I went to THAT school myself on most things.

I will be boating the 1st and 2nd of may.. I can't wait to check out the chesapeake !

We'll be out May 2nd weather cooperating!
Our home ramp is directly across the river from Tomes, but it's being renovated right now, so we'll be launching at Tydings temporarily. That ramp sucks for my boat when there's no water though.

skargo

Banned

Cool man ! Maybe you could meet up with us and be my guide for the day ;) jk

That would be great. We are newbies pretty much too. We went out 21 times last summer, and twice this year so far. I can at least show you were deep water is!
Hopefully we can get some old timers like Rob or Stan or someone to run with us as well. :D

Are you keeping your boat at Tomes? I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

That would be great. We are newbies pretty much too. We went out 21 times last summer, and twice this year so far. I can at least show you were deep water is!
Hopefully we can get some old timers like Rob or Stan or someone to run with us as well. :D

Are you keeping your boat at Tomes? I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

Any help would be appreciated ! Yeah I will be keeping my boat at Tomes all summer. :)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well, I got off my arse and drained the at least 4 year old gear oil out of my outdrives today and good news...there was no water mixed in it, so I'm happy, but it definitely needed to be changed out. I don't think I could've gotten another season out of it. Although if this season is anything like last season it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I also got the outdrives half-greased...I ran out of grease. Sooo shopping trip for tomorrow to the marine store or Wally mart for grease and gear oil. I also forgot that the fuel tank hatch is gettin a little soft and I've been meaning to fix that for a couple of years now....gotta remove the whole rear seat to do it though....ahh maybe next winter.......well, batteries are in, engine oil is topped off.....still gotta put the drainplugs back in though.....was dodging water droplets all day and skipped around a bit....But I'm on my way.....

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Now thats the kind of updates we like to hear!! See you on the water this year yet.

skargo

Banned

Well, I got off my arse and drained the at least 4 year old gear oil out of my outdrives today and good news...there was no water mixed in it, so I'm happy, but it definitely needed to be changed out. I don't think I could've gotten another season out of it. Although if this season is anything like last season it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I also got the outdrives half-greased...I ran out of grease. Sooo shopping trip for tomorrow to the marine store or Wally mart for grease and gear oil. I also forgot that the fuel tank hatch is gettin a little soft and I've been meaning to fix that for a couple of years now....gotta remove the whole rear seat to do it though....ahh maybe next winter.......well, batteries are in, engine oil is topped off.....still gotta put the drainplugs back in though.....was dodging water droplets all day and skipped around a bit....But I'm on my way.....
Well alllllright!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well, here's another update....yesterday after work, I finished greasing the outdrives and filled them with oil. I also fixed one of the side marker lights on my trailer.....which wasn't as easy as it sounds because the crappy splice job that was the fault was inside the box frame of the trailer. The wire that comes out of a little hole in the frame was "T" spliced to the main harness (brown wire) very poorly. So I had to rig two fishing poles to the wire ends at both the side marker lamp and the tail lamp so that I could pull the entire harness out of the frame to make the repair and then fish it back down the frame and end up with the correct wires coming out of the correct holes. Now all my lights work again. YAY! Good news as a side note; while I was doing this job, I got a good look up the frame rails of the trailer and discovered that it is indeed galvanized inside and out and there is absolutely NO sign of any rust in the frame. YAY #2!! lol

skargo

Banned

Good news on the frame Stan! I wonder how long mine will last. It's a painted Easyloader. I bought it from a guy who boat a boat, put the boat in high and dry and let the trailer sit next to his barn for quite a few years. It is well built, and seems ok, but I gotta wonder about all the water I put through it.

I'm gonna try like hell to get out next Sunday, anyone else?

Pretty exciting day today.. We used our boat for the second time and then got everything squared away with the marina. The weather wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't raining while we were on the boat so we still enjoyed ourselves..

26150_645262681568_31701525_36715016_3000786_n.jpg

We will be out Saturday and Sunday next weekend.. So far the weather forecast is looking pretty good !

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's good to see that there are people interested in cruising on the upper Chesapeake Bay. We have a large Mobile home south of Earlville MD. The place is called Elkview Shores. If anyone is interested in a low priced location to have to get away from it all on weekends this is the place .No I don't own the place We just go there a lot because we are across the river from Turkey Point light house.The park is right on the water and it has it's own free boat ramp.That's if you have a trailer there. We were there yesterday cleaning up when one of the guys there told me that he was selling his 24 ft travel trailer for $1200.00 And the rent for it is only $800.00 it's an 84 model. There are other good buy's as well. It's an older park an the original owners are leaving to go into nursing homes. We have a 24 ft Starcraft pontoon boat and we travel up to Cabin John cove a lot or to Hacks Point n the Bohemia river. Most of the water is calm except for the Elk river on weekends. Cabin John is good for towing water skiers or jet skies, Lot of boats tied up side by side on weekends. Same near hacks point You can get there by taking RT213 to hacks point there is a ramp njear by .It's a pay and float dock.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's good to see that there are people interested in cruising on the upper Chesapeake Bay. We have a large Mobile home south of Earlville MD. The place is called Elkview Shores. If anyone is interested in a low priced location to have to get away from it all on weekends this is the place .No I don't own the place We just go there a lot because we are across the river from Turkey Point light house.The park is right on the water and it has it's own free boat ramp.That's if you have a trailer there. We were there yesterday cleaning up when one of the guys there told me that he was selling his 24 ft travel trailer for $1200.00 And the rent for it is only $800.00 it's an 84 model. There are other good buy's as well. It's an older park an the original owners are leaving to go into nursing homes. We have a 24 ft Starcraft pontoon boat and we travel up to Cabin John cove a lot or to Hacks Point n the Bohemia river. Most of the water is calm except for the Elk river on weekends. Cabin John is good for towing water skiers or jet skies, Lot of boats tied up side by side on weekends. Same near hacks point You can get there by taking RT213 to hacks point there is a ramp njear by .It's a pay and float dock.

Hey, SilverEagle....Welcome Aboard.

Elkview ? Is that the one between Crystal Beach and Buttonwood Beach?

Since you mention Hack's Point, I'll also mention that a lot of folks ski upstream of the 213 bridge and also raft-up there at Middle Neck (George's Point) it's a sandy bottom with a fairly shallow sandbar.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I'm gonna try like hell to get out next Sunday, anyone else?

Yeah- if the weather looks good. Give me a shout if you're out and maybe we can hook up somewhere.