Boating the Upper Chesapeake

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

which deal is better?

I'm no sailboat expert but spent a good part of my youth learning about them.

The MacGregor 26 is a 'hybrid' sailboat. IMO that means it isn't a great sailboat OR powerboat. The hull is rated for something like 50HP, and uses water ballast for sailing stability. The Hunter would sail much better. Again, this is just my opinion.

To begin with, do they both have complete rigging (sails, mast, boom, rudder, c-board)? And- just as important- what condition are they in? That stuff can get mighty expensive. Also, you've gotta make sure the stays are in good shape and anchored firmly to the mast and deck- if one pulls out at the wrong time you could lose the rigging. Repairing anything at the top of a stepped mast can be a lesson in frustration; don't ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

Believe it or not, sailboats need as much- if not more- maintenance than a powerboat, it's just in a different way. Bad things can happen in a hurry to improperly maintained sailboats. Example- what do you think would happen if the centerboard decided to separate itself from the hull when you're on a hard reach? This kind of thing happens to boats that aren't maintained.
Anyway, I think you get the idea. If you're willing to put in the time/expense, sailing can be a WHOLE LOT of fun. But it ain't as cheap as you might think.

Lastly, before jumping into one of these you've gotta have a good plan as to where/how you're going to keep it. Can you trailer the MacG with your current ride? The bare hull weighs 2400#. Add the rigging and trailer and you'll be close to 4K. As far as a slip, even an island slip @ HdG will run about $650/year. Yeah, a mooring would be 'free' but there are other issues with that scenario.
I'm not trying to convince you NOT to get a sailboat Bowman, I just want you to know and understand some of the considereations.
Rob

skargo

Banned

Your welcome Edko, and good luck to your brother. I like City Dock- been here 8 years.

Scott- Go ahead and see if it's just the rubber plug but if it were me, I'd install a new threaded bronze plug. My '85 had one from the factory. If you go that route, check the condition of the transom plywood before installing the new one, seal any raw wood edges with epoxy, and use 5200 to seal the new plug assembly to the hull.

As far as the bellows, they can be tricky. I had one that would only leak 'sometimes'. Made me crazy until I realized that it only leaked when the drive was down for more than a few hours. Turns out the crack was right on a corrigation fold and when the drive was up, it would seal itself. It was only about 1/2" long and really tough to see.
Do you know the age of your outdrive rubbers? You might want to consider replacing them as PVM.
Stupid question, how do I get the brass tube the rubber plug goes into now? I think the PO told me the outdrive rubber was 3 years old, this would make season 4 if that's correct. BUT he also told me, after I changed it, that the engine mounted seapump's impeller looked great...when he looked at it 10 years ago!?
Guess I'll pick up a shift cable and drive bellows, I have an exhaust tube so I can leave that alone.

skargo

Banned

It's the friggin pump. I just started it up on the garden hose, and couldn't see any leaks. After I shut her down, I felt around underneath and it seems to be coming from one of the seams where the pump goes together. I just rebuilt it with a service kit that had the impeller, gaskets, and wear plates. I hope it's not toast.

Upon furhter review, they make a kit to replace my old, leaky style 2 piece, with a 1 piece body. :rolleyes:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so macgregor boats down have a big keel? Are they easy to capsize?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Brandon-
That's a nice looking boat! If the price is right, just do it. You checked the stringers and transom, didn't you????

Yes I did. I wouldn't ignore the advice of such an experienced guy such as you. Thanks for all the help.

Putting an offer in tomorrow! Expecting to transfer the title later this week!!! I am so excited!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well, good luck Brandon. You might become one of those '2 boat' owners for awhile!

Bowman- the MacG 26 has a retractable centerboard as well as a ballast tank.
Here's a blurb I lifted about their stability:
'A company video shows that, will full ballast tanks, the boat is self righting. With 120 lbs. of pressure on the jib halyard, the mast lay in the water, and immediately popped upright when the halyard was released; MacGregor said the limit of positive stability is about 115?'.

Skargo- at least you found the problem. The engine-mounted circulating pump? I'd think it's nothing you can't handle.

jshane39

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone ever make it to the San Domingo in St. Michaels? Dingy in to the local landing and walk downtown for dinner and drinks? Lovely spot on the Chesapeake!

skargo

Banned

Skargo- at least you found the problem. The engine-mounted circulating pump? I'd think it's nothing you can't handle.

Yeah, I'm an expert now, this will be the third time in 2 weeks I've pulled the pump out. Not pleased that I dropped a few bucks on a rebuild kit, rebuilt it and it's junk. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's always good to do things multiple times, at least in my case. I read the new style pump flows better too!
As for the bellows, I'm going to run them this year, then replace them in the off season.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i read a review that the macgregor does not tack well, and it looks like it would not handle a storm too well.

but i think they have plenty of cabbin room

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone ever make it to the San Domingo in St. Michaels? Dingy in to the local landing and walk downtown for dinner and drinks? Lovely spot on the Chesapeake!

I've been to St Michaels a few times, but never from the 'back door' at San Domingo Creek. I agree- it's a great little town. Do you live there?

jshane39

Seaman Apprentice

Yes Ark I do. On the San Domingo actually. So I get to see lots of folks come and go.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Well, good luck Brandon. You might become one of those '2 boat' owners for awhile!

LOL! Looks like you might be right though. Meeting tomorrow night at 6:00 to transfer titles.

But, since I have a canoe and kayak, does that make me a 4 boat owner? :D

Bowman, just curious. Why are you looking at buying a sailboat? Just wondering the reasons, thats all. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sorry I can't be of any help as I know absolutely nothing about them.

Scott - Hope the new pump housing takes care of the problem. I am sure you won't have any problem taking care of it.

JShane - Sounds like a beautiful place to live. I would love to make it down that way sometime.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Planning on taking a drive Saturday afternoon to scope out a vacation place. Is anyone going to be around?

skargo

Banned

We are destine to never meet. :D

Are you training on Saturday for the walk on Sunday?:rolleyes:

Nope, we'll probably be around Saturday, as long as my pump kit makes it here in time!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Brandon- I want a sail boat so I can take long range trips, without using and gas.
I would also live on it.
I want to eventually sail down south, either to FL, or the craibean.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Brandon- I want a sail boat so I can take long range trips, without using and gas.
I would also live on it.
I want to eventually sail down south, either to FL, or the craibean.

Sounds like fun. Have you sailed before?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

not really,
I have been on a few sailboats, and helped the crew raise sails.
I understand how to tack and all.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Planning on taking a drive Saturday afternoon to scope out a vacation place. Is anyone going to be around?

I'll probably be onboard most of Saturday. Feel free to stop by and say hello.
HdG City Dock, slip #632. White/green Silverton near the launch ramp.

So Brandon....how'd it go????

Hey guys- anyone interested in planning a raftup?
I'm thinking of Saturday May 22, maybe at the Flats (near the mouth of Furnace Bay).
As always, it's weather permitting....